Happy Birthday Dante!

dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
BELATED, BUT UNANNOUNCED! Chicago wordsmiths, please step up.

Comments

• I am neither Chicagoan nor a wordsmith, but I shall step up with a happy happy

• We shall have tall-cans & rap fest soon.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• Dante Carfagna [Chicago IL / Memphix / Wax Poetics]
    The most prolific member of Memphix is Chicago turntablist[/b] Dante Carfagna. A relative unknown outside DJ circles, Carfagna personifies the Funk 45 phenomenon - a modern day Spider Harrison to DJ Shadow's James Brown - and those who have dug deep enough already know that he's released some of the sweetest instrumental hip hop over the past five years. Carfagna cut his teeth back in 1992, scratching and producing on a few Professor Griff solo albums after the outspoken Minister of Information was booted from Public Enemy in 1989. Carfagna's love for long forgotten funk led him to befriend Josh Davis, with whom he blew minds at Brainfreeze in 2000, and then later during the Product Placement tour. Dante Carfagna also possessed the dusty fingers behind the much acclaimed Chains and Black Exhaust compilation.
    While the mainstream press has spotlighted Shadow ever since he dropped Endtroducing in 1996, and deservedly so, Carfagna remains the pride of insiders, like readers of Wax Poetics, of which Carfagna is a contributing editor, and those fortunate enough to hear him spin the first Wednesday of each month at Danny's in Chicago. Precious little material was released for public consumption - just a few of the aforementioned Memphix 7's - as Carfagna spent the majority of his time digging around in crates with his fans. Carfagna spent so much time discovering lost classics that he's now considered among the most knowledgeable in the field, along with Davis and Eothan "Egon" Alapatt, who assembled and released the heralded The Funky 16 Corners compilation on his own Stones Throw imprint. Carfagna is currently working in cahoots with Davis to compile a comprehensive discography of 45's from 1965-75. No word on when the book will be completed, but Carfagna's other long-term project, his debut full-length for Memphix, has finally reached fruition. Under the moniker Express Rising, Carfagna's self-titled foray into the world of 12's (and compact discs!) is an expertly crafted, understated exercise in hip hop semantics. Like its creator, the album thrives on subtlety, patience, and an assortment of mean breaks[/b].

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Probably the only dude - outside of Puto Bong Bong - whose
    name alone will make me click on a thread.

The main reason we have a graemlin at all!

Happy Birthday, hope it's a good one.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Probably the only dude - outside of James[/b] - whose
    name alone will make me click on a thread.

Happy birthday!

• Happy birthday Dante. And thank you for constantly dropping edu-dedication from the Carfagnalogue. It is appreciated.

• Happy Birthday!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Happy Birthday Carfagnator!!!

---

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Funny I was listening to the REAL LIVE long player whaan I pepped this thread.

"TRY TO REACTI AND GET YOUR MOTHERFUCKIN FELLINS HURT."

(Happy birthday god!)

• Happy b-day and thanks for continuing to bestow your knowledge on us.

• mean breaks[/b].

and to that, plus the recent cable acquisation, a birthday present:
    mean breaks

• Cheers to my favorite, uhm, turntablist!

• happy birthday homey!

feel free to stop by for some funk (nrr).

also, luc skystyler will be coming through later this week...we should meet up and catch up on discraft and meaty brews.

"hey girl, heyyy gurrrrrl"

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i swear i saw dude at dusty groove today.. but when i turned around he was gone.

:diggingwiththewindbeneathhiswings:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    happy birthday Dante

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Happy Birthday Dante!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    happy birthday Dante

• happy birthday Dante

• H. Gibbons & The Posse send their best wishes

IT'S STAR TIME!

• happy birthday D!

Someone needs to make a raer happy b-day 45 for Mr. Carfagna. That would be fitting.

• happy birthday dude!

Finally read your folkways cover R.I.P. in wax poetics. Hope the book helped

• Happy Birthday, D!

I finally tracked down that 45 you were telling me about:

Fingers of the Hand- "Black Marionette" b/w "Psykedelik Smoke Skreen" on Miasma Records (Akron, OH). And, yes, as you predicted, it's the best record I've ever heard.

• Happy b-day and thanks for continuing to bestow your knowledge on us.

Surriousssslllyyy. repeatedly.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    happy birthday good sir

• This gif has quickly risen to classic status. It needs to be in a gremlin, NOW.... altho I have no idea what the gremlin would say.... spaz? The caucasian flava flav???

• Happy belated, bro. Hopefully the ChiSox give you another Division title or at least a WC berth. AT least they won last night.

SoI, you may be wrong for postin that Cubbies disc.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Chicago wordsmiths, please step up.
    What, like you live in Rancocas or something?

HUGO FURST, HIPPY

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I mean, I'm a music producer, Dave--you've got to play me some shit.