›

on the Duece circa '77

paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Just came across this pic online...IMG SRC="http://www.boomspeed.com/paulnice/Cine42.jpg" WIDTH=750>Cine 42 was THE spot for kung fu flicks on 42nd street (also the Embassy and the Lyric which is out of sight of this pic, would have been off to the right and is now the "Lion King Theater").Worst thing about Cine 42 was after they turned it into a "twin" theater, the resulting screens were WAY too narrow.You can see Bruce Li's name on the marquee and below you can just make out "Champion of Death", a so-so Sonny Chiba flick.What's more interesting is the New Amsterdam Theater showing both Petey Wheatstraw AND Wattstax.What a time.

Comments

• That's so fresh. In the late 80s this was a place of many firsts for me including first brass knuckles and first place I ever bought little dimebags so that I could stuff em with dirt weed. I remember when the hooker traffic was so blatant. I once saw a girl with no pants selling her shit in the middle of the street outside the bus station and I remember a newsstand that sold nickel bags. Whether one loves or hates the "new" cleaned-up NY, you would be hard-pressed to argue that Times Square wasn't a huge part of the character of this city and all that Lion King Total Request Live fat people from the midwest looking up at the advertisements bullshit is a poor substitute.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    you would be hard-pressed to argue that Times Square wasn't a huge part of the character of this city and all that Lion King Total Request Live fat people from the midwest looking up at the advertisements bullshit is a poor substitute.

werd x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

• boss pic...
    thanks for posting!!!

• you would be hard-pressed to argue that Times Square wasn't a huge part of the character of this city and all that Lion King Total Request Live fat people from the midwest looking up at the advertisements bullshit is a poor substitute.

werd x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000
    Aren't most major U.S cities following suit?

• I saw the JBs (Fred Wesley and PeeWee Ellis) Meet the JBs (Jungle Brothers) at the Lyric in '89. *sigh*

I have pics somewhere.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

You can see Bruce Li's name on the marquee and below you can just make out "Champion of Death", a so-so Sonny Chiba flick.
    What's more interesting is the New Amsterdam Theater showing both Petey Wheatstraw AND Wattstax.
    What a time.

prolly makes it around 73ish, right?

• prolly makes it around 73ish, right?

Well the source stated it was "circa '77".
    It's believable to me since Champion of Death came out in '75, maybe even later in the states.
    Not to mention that theaters would stay playing the same movies or reissues for years.
    Shit, the first Friday the 13th played at one of those theaters for over 3 years straight!