drop knowledge... selling records

williedynamitewilliedynamite 263 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
melvin van peebles sold his car to make "story of a 3 day pass". i've finally reached the same crossroads myself, and need some money to finance the overage on a film i made about sexual violence in the congo... (www.gomafilmproject.org) plug done. in any case, i'm looking to sell off a portion of my collection -- probably somewhere around 1500 records i'm trying to move. all genres of music.the heavyweight stuff i plan on posting here at SS and ebay. not quite sure how to handle the rest, which is solid, but relatively common. has anyone had any luck with "set sales" on ebay? or would i be better off sending a list to record stores to see what they want?of course i'll post the full list in the classifieds here 1st, but have a feeling that it'll move better through other channels.any advice would be greatly welcomed...thanks in adavance.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    sometimes small lots of 10-20 records sorted by genre do well on eBay. Most shops are gonna give you less than $1 per lp flat out. Some of the more specialty type shops might do better though - depending on what it is, I guess.

good luck!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Thenon taught me well.

keep an itemized list of what you have up in either a spreadsheet or notebook. Make it so you can put down the final price next to it and the winner and his/her location. Having quick reference document can save you tons of time and worry when dealing with E-mails and the post office.

second, start small and after the first batch build up til you reach a comfortable number you will also find that you have more people watching your auctions as time goes on. Quite possibly meaning higher and higher bids in the later auctions.

Keywords in ebay auctins mean a lot

create seperate bins/ crates at home where you can keep albums for when you are asked questions

find out shipping rates to various countries. Trust me you will be asked about this A LOT!

• big ups on the tips. i'll post a list in the classifieds this weekend and then take it to the bay in lots shortly thereafter...

:wd

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Wow--good luck! I really respect your commitment to this project. It might not hurt to let prospective bidders know where the money's going--I know that would motivate me to pay more.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    if you're in NYC, johnny paycheck might be able to do better than 1$ on the lil dude jawns.. that or take them to dustygroove.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Set sales on SS =

DO IT!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    if you're in NYC, johnny paycheck might be able to do better than 1$ on the lil dude jawns.

yeah, I'm sure if it's decent clean stuff a place like good records, or groove merchant would be great. But, a lot of places like Amoeba here in CA do that BS where they put half-wits in charge of buying stuff and make them maintain a .25 cent per unit average (from what I've heard/experienced working in a shop).

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    if you're in NYC, johnny paycheck might be able to do better than 1$ on the lil dude jawns.

yeah, I'm sure if it's decent clean stuff a place like good records, or groove merchant would be great. But, a lot of places like Amoeba here in CA do that BS where they put half-wits in charge of buying stuff and make them maintain a .25 cent per unit average (from what I've heard/experienced working in a shop).

yeah larger stores are not the move. even some smaller places around here pull that trick. i went into a newly opened house/dance shop with a grip of raer 12s and the record troll was like "i'll give you a dollar each, most places around here won't even give you that much" and i go "well at least you're being honest" and walked out the door. but yeah, i'll buy your lil dude jawns if everyone else fronts.

• the heavyweight stuff i plan on posting here at SS and ebay. not quite sure how to handle the rest, which is solid, but relatively common. has anyone had any luck with "set sales" on ebay? or would i be better off sending a list to record stores to see what they want?

of course i'll post the full list in the classifieds here 1st, but have a feeling that it'll move better through other channels.

any advice would be greatly welcomed...

thanks in adavance.

I've always found set sales through SS really useful for a relative newbie like me...What is one mans common yawn is another mans 'find' (esp. here in NZ).

I'm suprised there aren't more set sale lots through here and ebay.

I would be super keen on stuff like this.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Give Marty @ Academy a call. He'll come buy stuff and he pays really well for CLEAN copies.

• another eBay tip: if auction lasts less than a week, always include a weekend (ie: thursday to tuesday). good luck!

• girgir 329 Posts
    but yeah, i'll buy your lil dude jawns if everyone else fronts.

• if you're in NYC, johnny paycheck might be able to do better than 1$ on the lil dude jawns.. that or take them to dustygroove.

Believe it or not I pay better than ebay on a lot of records even up to stuff I would sell for $30... I see dudes getting $9.99 all the time on records I would've paid them $15-20 for in my shop. I also pay higher than typical 50% for $$$ pieces.

• Believe it or not I pay better than ebay on a lot of records even up to stuff I would sell for $30... I see dudes getting $9.99 all the time on records I would've paid them $15-20 for in my shop. I also pay higher than typical 50% for $$$ pieces.

thats that dude talking right there!

also
    depending on where you live, porch sales/flea markets can end up puting good money in your pocket once you are down to 7-8 crates of $2-5 records. local fair, festival, freak show...set up a record table.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    local fair, festival, freak show...set up a record table.

that's excellent advice.. chicago has weekend after weekend of summer music festivals where local merchants can set up shop. we had boxes of pfft laid out and made enough on 3$ joints to cover expenses and after-festival binge drinking..

sidenote: anyone bother digging at pitchfork this year?