The Archaic guide to rebuilding New Orleans

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
When asked by a Former New Orleans school teacher who is in an interracial marriage about what he he can do to help the situation in New Orleans Harvey responded with this:
The easiest answer to your question is for you to lose the sarcastic attitude.From the way you sound, that would be a lifetime worth of action in and of itself. But beyond that, yes, it will take you opening yourself up to ideas that at this point you may typically act automatically defensive towards. It will entail reading books and basically learning more about the history of racism. It will most likely necessitate you engaging in more meaningful conversations with blacks, or for that matter any people of color, than you have in the past or do now. It may mean that when you see other white people engaging in racist behavior, no matter how slight and petty, that you atempt to correct them rather than letting them slide. It may mean being less of a white guy all of the time...specifically being less egotistical, intrusive, insensitive, overly defensive, passive aggressive, etc.
Quite possibly one of his greatest hits.

Comments

• It may mean being less of a white guy all of the time...specifically being less egotistical, intrusive, insensitive, overly defensive, passive aggressive, etc.

Is he talking to himself?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You are such a persistent idiot.

Just because someone, especially a white dude, is part of an interracial marriage does not automatically mean that they have corrected all of the racist tendencies that have been hammered into them since birth by American society.

And just because someone visits New Orleans for a mere 2 years, even as a school teacher, doesn't mean that their opinions on New Orleans can't be trumped by people who have grown up there and thus have a much more significant attachment to the city and its culture.

But ultimately you should reason with the idea that all sorts of people from New Orleans besides me are saying the same sort of things as me.

Of course to you, what the people of NOLA are specifically asking for is much less important than what you want to dictate as their actual needs.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

But ultimately you should reason with the idea that all sorts of people from New Orleans besides me are saying the same sort of things as me.

and who are these people? Can others see them or can they only be viewed by folks as "real" as you?

It may mean being less of a white guy all of the time...specifically being less egotistical, intrusive, insensitive, overly defensive, passive aggressive, etc.

Is he talking to himself?

I've already answered that with a...yes.

This is not a dick-measuring contest, which it seems might be all some of you are able to relate to.

It's a fairly simple call for change.

And y'all can laugh all you want. It only brightens your true colors even further.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Where is this from?

Guzzo, please come to the Austin Record Convention next month.

Been tooken there.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Where is this from?

Oh. Yeah. I started to make a post in that thread but decided against feeding the monster.

• I know I didnt go through the hurricane as a NOLA resident, as a white Slidell suburban resident, nor as an african american living in the 9th ward. If you didnt go through the hurricane in NOLA and you hadnt lived there before or since the hurricane then shut the fuck up about whats "real", shut the fuck up about "what people need"...just do what you feel is right, raise money, give your time and $$$ to charities, if you have displaced NOLA resisdents in your cities help them out, whether it is finding them work or buying them a beer.

I would never fucking preach whats is "right" or "real" about a situation I have only been told stories of (whether those stories were from the mouths of those affected directly, on the news).

Could give a fuck if someone thinks my or anyones philanthropic efforts are whats "real" or "right"

No one is an authority on this except the folks that lived through it and are living through the aftermath. I could give a shit who you know or who you have talked to.

Do what you think is right. That is all anyone can ask.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Guzzo, please come to the Austin Record Convention next month.

Been tooken there.

actually I've thought about making the trip.

what would we do together? I propose a dance off or a Project Blowed themed game of monopoly

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    lizardboy.

Shall I go ahead and officially add you to my stalker list?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    lizardboy.

Why do you think that cock animal is funny? and why must you post it in every thread?

that is not a cock animal. it is a lizard creature. a member of the secret cabal that control the world.

DUH!

yes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ok, but why do you think it's funny?
    And post it in every thread?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Its not so much a stalking thing, its more like you're a case study in a social studies project in abnormal behavior of White men with inferiority complexes.

Truth is, you could have saved yourself a lot of comments from me, and quite possibly by others by simply not striving so hard to prove how "real" you are. You're false insights into the world of music buying and the racial minorities of major cities shows you to be a fool.

The incident I brought up at the top of this thread was a textbook case of you thinking you know better than others, no matter what their situation is. It's as if you are so disconnected from the idea of other people having insight that you need get hyper-outrageous just so we don't dwell on some truth and instead get stuck on your silliness.

The guy said he taught in predominantly black school in New Orleans for 2 years, that hardly makes him a "visiteur". Most visits don't involve working with the youth that closely for that long. His marriage status pretty much deaded your stereotyped idea that all white people, besides you need cultural sensitivity training. I don't know how else to put it other than to say the correct response to Jfree's post may have been an apology for assuming instead of saying that he may very well need to have his eyes opened to really understand "black people" like you do

something tells me you often confuse humility with humiliation

Ok, but why do you think it's funny?
    And post it in every thread?

yeah, im sick of it now too.

funny how noone had the same comments about the Alba gifs.

but yeah, point taken.

• I thought it was funny

All I want to hear from you, Guzzo, is that you'll indeed be at the Austin Record Convention next month.

And for anyone actually trying to figure out this thread... ...may I clarify that what is quoted from me in the top post are suggestions on how to correct the societal environment of racism that made the neglect of NOLA folks both pre- and post-Katrina a feasible reality.

Maybe there are better answers out there, hopefully so because I have never claimed to be any sort of end-all-be-all on these issues, but I'm not really seeing any humor to what I posted.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    All I want to hear from you, Guzzo, is that you'll indeed be at the Austin Record Convention next month.

does this ass-hurt stem more from the inability to be criticized or or the inability to admit when you may be wrong in your accusations?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I thought it was funny

me too.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I thought it was funny the first,second and even third time ....kinda lost me at four ... i believe we're at appearance five or six now

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    sandwiches

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sandwiches

I'd eat a sandwich with Harvey/ Sheid/ Archaic hell I'd probably even enjoy the experience.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I now need to go to the the Austin Convention, not for the records, but for the possiblity of Guzzo getting HC in a camel clutch on a mat made of Tejano records.

• I now need to go to the the Austin Convention, not for the records, but for the possiblity of Guzzo getting HC in the camel toe

good morning bitches.