How responsible RU4 "bad" music? (more eBayR)

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
OK, so while we are hashing out all things eBay related, how responsible do you guys think sellers are for how the music is on a record vs. how it's described? I'm curious as to both sides here... I mean, it's a fine line between entising would be bidders to check out something they might not have saved as a search, and calling Folkways african tribal drumming "afro funk breakz". I guess I'm guilty of adding audio to a tepid one track lp, and calling it "library style drama funk"... but only if at least one track backs it up... and, I figure people at least get to hear it before bidding. I rarely go "BEATDAWG" on descriptions unless it's something I totally love...discuss...

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    one mans trash is a Frenchmans treasure.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    one mans trash is a Frenchmans treasure.

wee wee

• one mans raisin is a Frenchmans treasure.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    one time this german guy demanded a refund / credit because the 12" he bought wasn't 'real old school rap', I disagreed & he tried to engage me in a debate about the nature of 'old school'

---

hahaha!!!

I hope you saved that email.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I've always tried to be as honest as possible, with minimal keyword spamming. I've probably hurt many sales by openly admitting the LP is a "One-Tracker," or mostly cheese. I have, on occasion, succumbed to near-dusty-groove-style hyperbole, but only on records I really dig. I don't believe in polishing terds.

Hell, I'm the same at record shows. A prospective buyer will hold up a record and ask how good it is, and I'll just shake my head, like, "Trust me, you don't want that one."

I've always tried to be as honest as possible, with minimal keyword spamming. I've probably hurt many sales by openly admitting the LP is a "One-Tracker," or mostly cheese. I have, on occasion, succumbed to near-dusty-groove-style hyperbole, but only on records I really dig. I don't believe in polishing terds.

Hell, I'm the same at record shows. A prospective buyer will hold up a record and ask how good it is, and I'll just shake my head, like, "Trust me, you don't want that one."

I used to be this way, then I got a taste of the oh so sweet fruit of the "decent money for crappy records I was gonna throw away" tree.

and honestly, it's impossible to tell what someone will like. I often throw "wild card" type semi-OK private type things in for free with trades, and I'm often surprised how much people like them. And vis versa with freebies/trades I get...

• I thinks it's time for me to invest in a dig. camera and record mailers.
    It seems like there are either a lot of folls w/ cash or folls w/ bad taste.

I could come off with all of terds that I got laying around here!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I once listed a psych terd called "Broken Bow & Idabell" as...

"Over Hyped, Over Priced Local Psych LP"

$9.99 no reserve

It went for $153.00

About a month later I listed another copy as....

Local Private Press Psych LP: Broken Bow & Idabell"

$9.99 no reserve

and I think it went for $21.00

I'm guilty of using 5-6 key words when they loosely apply to an LP.....but by the example above the buyer needs to beware and ask questions before buying an unknown LP for big bucks.....If a seller won't answer questions about it's specific sound or offer to play you some either via MP3 or phone I'd stay away.

For the most part...there are enough resources on the internet to do some research before you part with your cash.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    For the most part...there are enough resources on the internet to do some research before you part with your cash.
    ding ding
    as long as you aren't intentionally misleading, i don't see the problem

• I'm guilty of writing fairly optimistic about things. I'll say "great" or "good" too many times.

To make up for it on the things that are actually good I've started writing "actually good", "actually great".

"actually good", "actually great".

new keyword search alert!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Let the buyer beware... I mean, if folks are willing to bid on random records they haven't heard they need to be willing to accept whatever it is they receive...