Rest in Peace Willie Ninja

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Just wanted to recognize the passing of this dude who was a New York club legend and one of (if not the) inventors/innovators of voguing (also the doorman at one of my favorite parties Cafe Con Leche). Vogue was one of the last really important/innovative dance forms to come out of the clubs and undergroundmusic dance music and really make an impact on the mainstream. A full blown vogue ball is also one of the most amazing spectacles that you can ever witness. If you've never seen Paris is Burning, check it out...R.I.P. to an innovator and legend.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

R.I.P. to an innovator and legend.

No doubt.

Paris Is Burning was probably the first documentary I ever went to see in the theatre.

• Respect to a club legend!

• R.I.P. to an innovator and legend.

No doubt.

Paris Is Burning was probably the first documentary I ever went to see in the theatre.

This dude was one of the folks who mentored the dudes who brought me in to the crazy world of throwing parties when I was a youth. The club scene was like a family, with all sorts of freaks and weirdos and people who were too twisted/offbeat to do anything normal sticking together and giving each other jobs and generally acting as a support network for each other. I also feel that the sort of anything-goes scenes and total diversity (guidos, drag queens, hip-hop kids, etc. all in the same milieu) that went on up until the middle of the Guiliani years has become completely extinct in NY. Everything is so segmented and corny with all this bottle service and hipster pose-for-the-digital-camera crap and it seems like people are missing the point of going out: listen to great music, rub up against people who are totally unlike you, and lose your inhibitions for an evening. Word to my man the Donger, I know he knows the deal.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    RIP Willie Ninja.

• This dude was one of the folks who mentored the dudes who brought me in to the crazy world of throwing parties when I was a youth. The club scene was like a family, with all sorts of freaks and weirdos and people who were too twisted/offbeat to do anything normal sticking together and giving each other jobs and generally acting as a support network for each other. I also feel that the sort of anything-goes scenes and total diversity (guidos, drag queens, hip-hop kids, etc. all in the same milieu) that went on up until the middle of the Guiliani years has become completely extinct in NY. Everything is so segmented and corny with all this bottle service and hipster pose-for-the-digital-camera crap and it seems like people are missing the point of going out: listen to great music, rub up against people who are totally unlike you, and lose your inhibitions for an evening. Word to my man the Donger, I know he knows the deal.