Producers, what do you use for a vocals mic?

Panzah_ZandahzPanzah_Zandahz 31 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I'm tired of how crappy my Behringer b-2 condenser mic sounds. Any suggestions on a nice warm condenser mic for vocals that's not above the 500 mark?Thanks and peace,Panzah

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    audio technica side-address mics, 4033 and 4040 to be frank.

earthworks makes some trusty mics. on the not-a-grand side.
    http://www.earthworksaudio.com/
    (they look like anal probes too!)

others worth listening to.

joe meek
    neumann (2 grand, but worth it, maybe those U48 knockoffs sound okay?)
    coles 4038 -- so smokey ribbon mic, holler at wes dooley for the best price.
    AKG C-12, or other condensor, (tube condersor if you can find it cheap)
    Beyer m88

Avoid the SM58 even though everyone will say otherwise...

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    Rode NT2 or a Shure SM58

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Electrovoice RE20 - Sounds great on Vox and low instruments, and looks like a pipe bomb. Also available as the PL20, which is identical, cheaper, and black. See also Shure SM-7

AT 4033 - I love this mike. The presence peak in the upper mids doesn't work for some voices, but is magic for others. I've heard decent things about the 4047. I also really like the 4060, a tube mic, but it's around $1000.

Blue Baby Bottle is a solid mic, really dry and flat, but gets the job done with good build quality.

You might be able to find a used C414 for a little more than $500. Those mics are great. Vox, overheads, hats, toms, brushed snare, guitar, it never ends. Capsule is distantly related to the C12 and ELAM 251.

Mics are not something you should cheap out on. If they are solidly made, and you take of them, they will last a really really long time. Same thing with mic preamps. Think of them as long term investments. Software and digital audio gear will need upgrading every couple years usually, but high quality mics and preamps will never go out of style.

Besides, just metioning the word "analog" or "vintage" when talking about your gear gets artists and MC's fired up like they're gonna make a new Beatles record or something.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE A GOOD PREAMP. I know tons of people that recorded a bunch of tracks wirth cheap gear, got better mics/pres/etc, and were so blown away by the difference, they went through the time and effort to re-record their tracks with the new gear. Try to borrow as many things as you can. Guitar Center has a 30-day money back policy which has been abused by everyone in the industry. Officially, their policy says they don't take back mics for health code reasons, but make sure you ask them about it.

I can geek out all day.

Mike
    PM me if you have any questions

PS - pap.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    neumann

and the avalon joint for the pre-amp.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    you dont really need a mic for blazing downtempo though.

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    I only use one mic now... it works like majic on everyone I have put in front of it.
    Soundelux E47 paired up with the API channel strip.
    Sounds like Gainsbourg on close whispery vocals, and Rakim in his prime on rap shit. Oh yeah, and is the best 1-mic solution to drums that I have heard yet.

6.dos (the bougie gear nerd).

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    A somewhat related question that some of y'all gear head folls might be able to answer- can using a headphone as a microphone do any kind of damage to your gear?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i dont think so unless you gripping the headphones like whoa

• jonthedjjonthedj 30 Posts
    I love my AKG C414-B but...finding one for $500????? it lists for Over $1000 and usually goes for 850-999. Good luck finding one in decent condition for 500. Anyhow with the 10 and 20 db pads and the multiple polar patterns it is the best all around studio mic in my opinion.

Now for fancey vocal mics theres the Neuman UA-25. This is one of the nicest vocal mics ive ever heard/ used. The price of that is well over $2000.
    The Neuman TLM103 is about 10000...similar to the 414 but I prefer the AKG 414.

The Electro voice Re-20 - Thats a cool mic...very nice for rappers. A dynamic mic that acts and sounds like a condenser. Very nice!

For budget people I suggest the AKG C3000B - very nice large diaphram condenser mic with pads and bass roll-off. Nice for vocals and comes with a shockmount for about $300!

Theres also the Shure KSM-32. Also a large diaphram condenser...sounds similar to the Neuman but not as nice but for $500 its a solid mic and a great purchase.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    as far as preamps go, would the tc electronic finalizer 96k be a good preamp? or should I invest in something else? I haven't even tried the thing out to be honest....
    For mics I have no money, so I use a shure sm 58, recorded into sonar and then use the microphone modeler set to another mic...

• jonthedjjonthedj 30 Posts
    as far as preamps go, would the tc electronic finalizer 96k be a good preamp? or should I invest in something else? I haven't even tried the thing out to be honest....
    For mics I have no money, so I use a shure sm 58, recorded into sonar and then use the microphone modeler set to another mic...

The TC electronics Finalizer isa mastering tool not a pre-amp. A good TC mic pre is the Gold channel Digital pre. If your on a budget for $500 the presonus MP20 is great-class A. If money is no object get a Focusrite Red, A Manley, or something high end like that.

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    I only use one mic now... it works like majic on everyone I have put in front of it.
    Soundelux E47 paired up with the API channel strip.
    Sounds like Gainsbourg on close whispery vocals, and Rakim in his prime on rap shit. Oh yeah, and is the best 1-mic solution to drums that I have heard yet.

6.dos (the bougie gear nerd).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/E47/

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    The mic is excessive, but worth every penny.

Fuck it man, you think thats dough, you should see the bullyrecords stem mixer.....

http://www.vintageking.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.281/it.A/id.2588/.f

Got this and 2 extra 7600's.

Fuck an SSL. I keep it Rock.

bougie gear thugg.. aka. big dood in the electronics pap.

6.dos

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i just got the eureka and use it with my 104 and it's like magic! great vocals out of this pair.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    if you ona budget, cop a studio projects c1... should be under $200
    i put on a bunch of folks to that mic and you would be surprised what they prefer it over when it comes to pullin a mic out the locker
    and just to reiterate, make sure you cop a good preamp. makes a world of a difference in the recording game