favorite watermelon man? (RR)

ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
what is your favorite watermelon man cover?mine: johnny taylor 45 not sure if the lp has the same version though, never heard it.

Comments

• I really love Mongo Santamaria's version. It is on a bunch of his records, and was a huge hit for him back in the day. Even my Pops recognized it when he heard me play it one day, and he knows nothing of teh raer.

smokin' latin!

• what is your favorite watermelon man cover?

mine: johnny taylor 45

not sure if the lp has the same version though, never heard it.

exactly why would the album version be different in the first place?

my fave "watermelon" is also by mongo santamaria...who did the original (or at least had a hit with it).

after him, i like this vocal version by gloria lynne.

• a local high school the one next to mine (western tech) for those in toronto, has a cover on the stage band record I picked up, its quite good.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    MANTECA (australian cover)... drums = hard as fuck

• J.B.'s (obvious choice but solid cover!)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    it gets a little anoying after a while, but i used to love the dave kamien (terra contact lp) version. nice drums and good bass. the horns are a bit too much for my taste...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    my fave "watermelon" is also by mongo santamaria...who did the original (or at least had a hit with it).

Wasn't Herbie Hancock the original composer? Anyway my fave version is still his slowmo re-interpretation on "Headhunters". None of the zillion uptempo penthouse party takes on it are fucking with that IMO. That intro and the bassline is just too classic.

• my fave "watermelon" is also by mongo santamaria...who did the original (or at least had a hit with it).

Wasn't Herbie Hancock the original composer? Anyway my fave version is still his slowmo re-interpretation on "Headhunters". None of the zillion uptempo penthouse party takes on it are fucking with that IMO. That intro and the bassline is just too classic.

yeah, Herbie did it first...on "Takin' Off", which I think his is first Blue Note LP.

Herbie actully played with Mongo for a minute around this time.

I dig Gloria Lynne's version also, I play that one out every now and then, really nice.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

yeah, Herbie did it first...on "Takin' Off", which I think his is first Blue Note LP. Herbie actully played with Mongo for a minute around this time.

I dig Gloria Lynne's version also, I play that one out every now and then, really nice.

is the takin' off version in anyway different to the headhunters verion?

coincidently I just took headhunters of the platter.

• is the takin' off version in anyway different to the headhunters verion?

very

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

very

dope.

when was takin'off released?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

hows the movie? I'm kinda curious

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

very

dope.

when was takin'off released?

early 60's

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    MANTECA (australian cover)... drums = hard as fuck

• Baba Brooks Band 

• hows the movie? I'm kinda curious

The flick actually has nothing to with the song, but it's not bad (if a little depressing).

• my fave "watermelon" is also by mongo santamaria...who did the original (or at least had a hit with it).

Wasn't Herbie Hancock the original composer?

He was. But when I wrote that, I didn't know if Hancock RECORDED it first, which is why I added the "or at least had a hit with it" part. From what I understand, the song didn't even have a Latin rhythm until Mongo got his hard hands on it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Wasn't Herbie Hancock the original composer?

He was. But when I wrote that, I didn't know if Hancock RECORDED it first, which is why I added the "or at least had a hit with it" part. From what I understand, the song didn't even have a Latin rhythm until Mongo got his hard hands on it.

Herbie was also 17 and, unlike most jazz composers of crossover hits (i.e., the sidewinder), he owned the publishing rights. There's great/sad anecdote of him sonning Lee Morgan when Sidewinder was used in that car commercial and it came on during the Superbowl. Herbie to Lee, "How much did they pay you for that?" Lee, "Huh?"

• Karin Krog and the Playmates. Nice.

- J

• Anita Harris.

Same record includes a tune Andy Votel comped.

• idemidem 98 Posts
    miss elsie smith 45 on open records is a nice funky jazz version .. manteca out of perth is definately the better headhunter's version

Oops. thats what I get for posting stoned.

The Headhunters version does kill it, as does the Digable usage after it!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Headhunters version does kill it, as does the Digable usage after it!

co-sign

• Mongo's version is the best. Another fave of mine is by Davy Graham.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Herbie was also 17 and, unlike most jazz composers of crossover hits (i.e., the sidewinder), he owned the publishing rights. There's great/sad anecdote of him sonning Lee Morgan when Sidewinder was used in that car commercial and it came on during the Superbowl. Herbie to Lee, "How much did they pay you for that?" Lee, "Huh?"

Lee Morgan died in 1972

---

• Herbie was also 17 and, unlike most jazz composers of crossover hits (i.e., the sidewinder), he owned the publishing rights. There's great/sad anecdote of him sonning Lee Morgan when Sidewinder was used in that car commercial and it came on during the Superbowl. Herbie to Lee, "How much did they pay you for that?" Lee, "Huh?"

Lee Morgan died in 1972

---

?????
    yeah he died in 72...the first superbowl was in '67 and the "sidewinder" was a hit in '66.

Heard the WORST Watermelon Man yesterday...Trini Lopez, whatta fuckin' square.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

Harold Alexanders version is pretty dope.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    i love the herbie mann version

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts