foster sylvers vs nick cannon pt.2

macacamacaca 278 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
so i posed a question yesterday, "who has a bigger dick, foster sylvers or nick cannon"and apparently the post was deleted.i think its a legitimate question,but it wasnt as it seemed - i meant metaphorically speaking.you know, if 2003 nick cannon was at spago with 73 foster sylvers,who would get the better seat? a guy with awesome albums or a guy with awesomer albums.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    JiSpott probably.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Take those metaphors to the body building forum.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Did Foster Sylvers' 1973 S/T even chart then?

Ooops - Top 10 R&B/Top 25 POP

• Post deleted by macaca

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Is that a Wesley avatar? That's hot.

• 73 foster sylvers

That'd be a hell of a chorus.

who would get the better seat? a guy with awesome
    albums or a guy with awesomer albums.

Which Nick Cannon albums are awesome/awesomer?

Are you counting Fosters solo work only?

Why would u pair these two cats against one another?

• who would get the better seat? a guy with awesome
    albums or a guy with awesomer albums.

Which Nick Cannon albums are awesome/awesomer?

Are you counting Fosters solo work only?

Why would u pair these two cats against one another?

i didnt know people would take things so literally.
    but now that you mention it, i WAS watching 'underclassman'
    while listening to 'swooperman' last nite...what i mean is,
    nick cannon definitely has the bigger one (cock)

how about a REAL question?
    why havent any sylvers albums been reissued or put on cd?
    (specifically the ones from 72-75)

how about a REAL question?
    why havent any sylvers albums been reissued or put on cd?
    (specifically the ones from 72-75)

I dont think the general public really cares about Sylvers I,II,& III.
    I would like to see those Pride/MGM albums get the deluxe treatment, but their Casablanca stuff is where they got into the public eye.
    They really need an all encompassing CD set for their whole catalog. Its should cover the 80s New Wave stuff,Fosters and Edmunds solo shit too.
    I find the beatheads drool over the first 3 joints and disregard most of the stuff after. Whatever. I think they deserve an honorable retrospective.
    Hell, give me a muthafuckin TV movie."THE SYLVERS - The Silver Medal"Nick Cannon can play one of 'em.

• I dont think the general public really cares about Sylvers I,II,& III.

In 2006, that isn't really an excuse. There are artists far more obscure than the Sylvers whose music is being repackaged in some way. If the Voices Of East Harlem, the Monks, Purple Image, or Grodeck Whipperjenny can make it back in print, then anybody can.

I would like to see those Pride/MGM albums get the deluxe treatment, but their Casablanca stuff is where they got into the public eye.

It was actually Capitol where they had their biggest hits ("Boogie Fever," "Hot Line," etc.).

They really need an all encompassing CD set for their whole catalog. Its should cover the 80s New Wave stuff,Fosters and Edmunds solo shit too.
    I find the beatheads drool over the first 3 joints and disregard most of the stuff after.

Man, I don't blame them - me personally, I'd rather stick with the funkier, more soulish sounds and to hell with their disco years. But, they were popular enough that they do deserve an across-the-board, all-labels-included compilation. People forget (or probably never even knew) that some of those Pride/MGM singles were legitimate charting hits...

People forget (or probably never even knew) that some of those Pride/MGM singles were legitimate charting hits...

Arent they often called the "Southern Jacksons"?
    NYC radio doesnt play anything from the first 3 lps. When thety do classic sets I only hear Foster's Misdameanor or the Capitol stuff.
    Any of you cats hear the first 3 albums on the Southern radio stations back then?

• Any of you cats hear the first 3 albums on the Southern radio
    stations back then?

thats kind of a weak argument - like pickwick said, theres plenty of records that have been reissued on cd that are far more obscure, and less deserving. besides, i dont think many of us were around, or old enough to remember what was on the southern radio in the mid 70s - but that doesnt mean they shouldnt get the treatment they deserve.

• People forget (or probably never even knew) that some of those Pride/MGM singles were legitimate charting hits...

Arent they often called the "Southern Jacksons"?
    NYC radio doesnt play anything from the first 3 lps. When thety do classic sets I only hear Foster's Misdameanor or the Capitol stuff.
    Any of you cats hear the first 3 albums on the Southern radio stations back then?

(a) I don't believe their being from Memphis had anything to do with it. From the moment that their first LP on Pride was released, they had some strong marketing behind them. They were featured regularly in Right On (the black teen magazine, still going), did quite a few TV shows, and even played Vegas. And this was all during the Pride/MGM years. Hell, Rolling Stone mag even gave the first LP a rave review. (Besides I thought the Sylvers moved to California when they started making records...)

(b)If they were getting played on the radio at all during the MGM years, it was likely the SINGLES, not the album tracks...

(c)Have you ever seen the Billboard rhythm & blues reference books? The ones that tell you how high on the R&B charts a certain release went? There were a lot of songs that were Top 40 hits that never get played on black oldies programs. You never hear any Sylvers pre-1975 on these shows, but then you don't hear any of the Whispers' pre-Solar hits, either hear Kool & the Gang from before '73, either. I don't have the book on me (mad expensive), but from the copies I've seen in the library (and in the occasional store), the Sylvers (and the Whispers!) charted in the Top 40 extensively before their big breakthroughs. So, SOMEBODY was buying them motherfuckers! Oldies radio can be very selective.

Any of you cats hear the first 3 albums on the Southern radio
    stations back then?

thats kind of a weak argument - like pickwick said, theres plenty of records that have been reissued on cd that are far more obscure, and less deserving. besides, i dont think many of us were around, or old enough to remember what was on the southern radio in the mid 70s - but that doesnt mean they shouldnt get the treatment they deserve.

It wasnt meant to be an arguement. I wanted someone to recall hearing it.
    I'm a Sylvers FAN. I heard Hotline on the radio when it came out.

If they were getting played on the radio at all during the MGM years, it was likely the SINGLES, not the album tracks...

So theres got to be a handful of 45 out there from I,II,&III?

• If they were getting played on the radio at all during the MGM years, it was likely the SINGLES, not the album tracks...

So theres got to be a handful of 45 out there from I,II,&III?

Exactly. (I've got the "I Aim To Please" single on MGM, myself...don't know which album this is from, but it's funky like a BITCH...)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Personally, I wouldn't be into seeing an all-encompassing CD (or even double CD) trying to sum up at least 10 albums and 12 years of music-making. I'd rather see a SERIES perhaps or, at someone may have suggested, all the Pride LPs on a 2-CD set and then similar CDs for their other eras.

People might complain that certain collectors only want Sylvers 1-3 but in all fairness, these three CDs have a consistency in sound and production-style that justifies a preference (or lack thereof, depending on how you lean). Sure - it behooves people to check out the rest of the catalog but don't try to convince me that Sylvers II has much in common with New Horizons besides the players.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

RAHRAH
    RAHRAH
    RAHRAH
    RAHRAH
    RAHRAH
    RAHRAH
    RAHRAH
    RAHRAH
    RAHRAH
    RAHRAH
    RAHRAH