good god - numero

francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
dustygroove gives two thumbs way up Various -- Good God -- A Gospel Funk Hymnal . . . LP . . . $16.99 List Price: $20.98 (Item: 430302)Numero, 1970s (2LP) Condition: New Copy View Cart View imageA killer killer compilation -- the sort we've been dying to own for years! It's a well known fact that there's plenty of funky nuggets hidden amidst 70s gospel recordings -- massive grooves and break-heavy tracks that rank right up there with the best indie funk from the same time. Yet tracking down these tunes has always been plenty tough -- given that most gospel records sold in different circles, had different distribution, and often are less easy to decipher for the crate digger than more conventional funk and soul. Enter the folks at Numero -- who have really gone all out this time around, and dug through piles and piles of rare gospel records to come up with a whopping batch of great tracks! This set is definitely ground zero for getting into funky gospel -- and it's filled with far more obscure work than the Soul Gospel set on Soul Jazz -- all indie numbers from small labels that only got minor distribution at the time. As usual with Numero, the notes and package match the soulful depth and righteousness of the music -- and the set is one of the most perfectly wrapped-up genre compilations we've ever seen! 18 tracks in all -- with titles that include "I Thank The Lord" by Mighty Voices Of Wonder, "This Old World Is Going Down" by The Modulations, "Look Where He Brought Us" by The Apostles Of Music, "Thoughs (sic) Were The Days" by LaVice & Company, "Bad Situation" by 5 Spiritual Tones, "God Been Good To Me" by Mighty Walker Brothers, "O Yes My Lord" by Voices Of Conquest, "We Don't Love Enough" by Triumphs, "Heaven On Their Minds" by Sam Taylor, "God Will Dry My Weeping Eyes" by Horace Family, and "I Call Him" by Masonic Wonders.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    dustygroove gives two thumbs way up

I'm not aware of any "set" or "batch" that they failed to give two thumbs way up to, but this actually is an excellent collection.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    excellent collection

I heartily support this product and / or event.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Funny, Soulhawk and I were just discussing this very comp over at his house. He submitted a number of Detroit tracks for Good God! so he was lucky enough to see it all come together, and reap a few of the tangential 7" benefits.

The picture of the Shackelford Singers in the liner notes is , but I wonder whose copy of Two Sisters they used for the photo inside?

Anyhow, great comp, miles better than the SoulJazz stuff.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i'm gonna cop!

• dustygroove gives two thumbs way up

I'm not aware of any "set" or "batch" that they failed to give two thumbs way up to, but this actually is an excellent collection.

yeah i'm kidding about dusty. those guys are awesome though, they are what you say team players. they aren't going to pick up your product and front!

awesome that this is finally getting out on the streets. hope it does well!

p.s.

there may be another really good gospel comp coming out in the next 4 months. might be some friendly fire on the tracklist maybe not. we'll see.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this label is pure

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    can't wait to get this, Numero is my fave label out there these days.

• A first for Numero, this is on deluxe 2LP vinyl as well.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

p.s.

there may be another really good gospel comp coming out in the next 4 months. might be some friendly fire on the tracklist maybe not. we'll see.

Friendly as in "unlicensed" fire? We licensed all 18 tracks exclusive for the world, and besides, there's plenty of other hard gospel rares out there to be comped. Some of this stuff has been booted in the past, so let's leave that shit to BBE and give these people their due. 95% of these people can be found, some on amateur hour prime time itself, Google.

We used Ernest Garrison's copy of Two Sisters, so that makes five copies known (BTB?)?

The best thing to come out of this whole thing is a slew of released/unreleased material from the Revival family of labels. Over 200 tapes of biblical bangers, jazz-funk stormers, church picnic preachers, a garage band, and all kinds of other miscellany. Slowly we push through the mound, several months from now we might have something bizarrely weird and awesome.

Thanks for the love. Sevier and myself ruined the first half of our summer to get this one done. Big ups to DC and Soulhawk for guidance, and for spending weekends waist deep in Mightly Clouds of Joy records in pursuit of god on the good foot.

• A first for Numero, this is on deluxe 2LP vinyl as well.

It's a seriously very nice set, in a durable gatefold...saw one at GM today. Really great stuff guys.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I

Comp is awesome. And not to throw shade around but it's really a lot better than the Soul Gospel comps on Soul Jazz which left me a bit confused (since many songs were either soul artits doing gospel or gospel artists doing soul but very little of it seemed to be actual soul + gospel.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Ordered this on vinyl last week. can't wait to hear it.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    walked down to the rackord store this morning and picked it up. good god is right, been listening to it all day long. killer tracks throughout, good job once again to Rob and co.

• Very proper collection guy's!I was extremely impressed.And,as alway's nice packaging.we will be pushing this big time!