RON ROOKS of Music Exchange in KC - R.I.P.

tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Ron Rooks, longtime owner of the recently closed Music Exchange in KC died last night.I imagine a number of you guys shopped at his store, and I know at least a couple of you knew him personally. To those that did, this won't be a shock, but I thought people might like to know.

Comments

• WHAT?!?!

• Wow. That remains one of my all time favorite record stores. Rest in peace.

• Unfortunately, this new is true.
    I knew Ron for about twelve years, and worked at the shop for about five.
    Mr. Rooks was one of the last of the great old-time record dealers.
    The Music Exchange started in the late '70s and was always one of the biggest shops in the country.
    I can safely say that almost every record you would ever want passed through the Music Exchange at one time or another.
    Ron was in turn shrewd, loving, obnoxious, funny, embarassing and thoughtful.
    His life would read like a science fiction book for those that did not know him.
    I traveled across the Midwest many times with the man, buying massive collections in towns few of us have ever even heard of.
    His shop (and his personality) is what invited me into living this life of records.

I will miss you, Ron.

Dante

• Aw man that really sucks.I didn't know Ron on a personal level but I spent countless hours at the Music Exchange.Ron definitely ran the best record store I've ever been in.Oddly enough I had heard that he was trying to re-open the store.Definitley the end of an era.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Unfortunately, this new is true.
    I knew Ron for about twelve years, and worked at the shop for about five.
    Mr. Rooks was one of the last of the great old-time record dealers.
    The Music Exchange started in the late '70s and was always one of the biggest shops in the country.
    I can safely say that almost every record you would ever want passed through the Music Exchange at one time or another.
    Ron was in turn shrewd, loving, obnoxious, funny, embarassing and thoughtful.
    His life would read like a science fiction book for those that did not know him.
    I traveled across the Midwest many times with the man, buying massive collections in towns few of us have ever even heard of.
    His shop (and his personality) is what invited me into living this life of records.

I will miss you, Ron.

Dante

Double co-sign....

Aleit and I spent a day & night with Ron a few months ago and he was his enigmatic self......playfully attacked me from behind while I was looking through the racks even though we hadn't seen each other for at least 10 years.....closed up the store with us inside and drank and told stories late into the night(even told us one about a sharp "kid" that used to work for him named Dante).....I got a call a little while ago with the news....the man lived through a lot and had no problem sharing any of it with you........R.I.P. Ron....Never To Be Forgotten.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I have been asked to pass this on to the group....

There will be a tribute to Ron at the Muelbach Funeral Home at 68th and Troost in K.C. on Friday, September 8, from 6-9 if anyone wants to pay their respects.

• I have been asked to pass this on to the group....

There will be a tribute to Ron at the Muelbach Funeral Home at 68th and Troost in K.C. on Friday, September 8, from 6-9 if anyone wants to pay their respects.

bump so this doesn't fall off the page, and thanks for passing this on.