are we too materialistic?

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
read this and you be the judge....personally, as long as moderation is exercised, I am fine w/ it. However, our society encourages excess, that is the inherent problem.

Comments

• moderation is key to anything, food, intoxicants (i gues that could be food), posting on SS.

what kind of statement( aside from publicity ) is he gonna make by buring all that crap instead of donating to people that could really use it? pointless in my opinion

jus cause "it doesnt make him feel special anymore", those gucci shoes wont cover anyone else's feet?

why not auction it off for a charity, etc.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Who decides what is extreme or excessive?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I nominate you Ray!

But truth be told. Moderation is the key to life. In anything...

• Who decides what is extreme or excessive?

$200 for a g funk cd is extremely excessive, but 2k on a moder lp is just a fact of life, right?

variety is the spice of life, moderation is for people that smell poor.

$200 for a g funk cd is extremely excessive, but 2k on a moder lp is just a fact of life, right?

Go ahead and make a big list so the world can live by HairyBelafonte's concept of true moderation.

• slushslush 691 Posts

trust if it were me id be burning a lot of strutters houses down

• I heard a cultural philosopher say: "Materialism is a spiritual crisis. It implies that all the things that are worthwhile in life are made up of atoms / particles. The most important things aren't"

I'd say:

(but i did place an online order for a few records)

(but that is just to fill some spiritual holes )

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    jpg of the month:

PS I'm buying a house which I will rent out soon.

Do you need the money?

• posting on SS.

I KNOW YOU TAWN BOUT ME SHUN!

yo I just got Microwave (it works). Lemme burn some raers shun/eat a burrito out your chest carpet.

• Who decides what is extreme or excessive?

Go ahead and make a big list so the world can live by HairyBelafonte's concept of true moderation.

Listen Osh Kosh Bigosh
    don't TET Hairy Bellafonte's gangster.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Do you need the money?

Are you knocking the hustle? Hating the player, rather than the game?

The man inarguably has a family of at least one to feed.

• posting on SS.

yo I just got Microwave (it works). Lemme burn some raers shun/eat a burrito out your chest carpet.

cool mang, bring ova your material burrito and your spiritual microwave and we can burn some grapes while we burn the lesbo-rock-private-pysch clurb bangers you dj dudes drop

Do you need the money?

Are you knocking the hustle? Hating the player, rather than the game?
    Yes, but in moderation.

• 'moderation' is a weak intellectual justification for being a non-baller.

'moderation' is a weak intellectual justification of the poor ignorant of their own poverty.[/b]

'moderation' is a weak intellectual justification for being a non-baller.

Reynaldo, he is questioning your spending power.

Annihilate him. Or at least make it rain like you were at Magic City.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Rey,

have you ever in your lifetime ironed your own shirts ?

(multi-level question)

• Annihilate him. Or at least make it rain like you were at Magic City.

They nicknamed Rey "Thunderstorm."

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    reynaldo is better than you all

• posting on SS.

cool mang, bring ova your material burrito and your spiritual microwave and we can burn some grapes while we burn the lesbo-rock-private-pysch clurb bangers you dj dudes drop

HairyBelafonte = Unibr*w J*ff?

Rey,

(multi-level question)
    Only wear it one time...

• posting on SS.

HairyBelafonte = Unibr*w J*ff?

ps- taint no J in my title, strictly G baby!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    read this and you be the judge....

What a pussy!!

See, that's why I can't stand it when somebody decides to post an "I'm Quitting Record Collecting" thread on Soul Strut...they always get all preachy, high-and-mighty, hippy-dippy, guilt-inducing, strictly on the kum-ba-ya tip ("yesterday, the sound of the birds chirping and the scent of nature made me realize that we Soul Strutters as a whole are too consumed with the absorption of breakbeat raers"). Matter of fact, they sound just like the guy in that article quoted above. So you're gonna burn your brand name clothing? Don't cry to me when the po-lice bust you for running around buck nekkid like Ray Stevens.

personally, as long as moderation is exercised, I am fine w/ it. However, our society encourages excess, that is the inherent problem.

Naw, man - the "inherent problem" is that six months to a year from now, this guy is probably going to go back to being his old materialistic self.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I think the whole plan/message was muddied and poorly thought through anyway. Are you against material objects or against labels/brands buddy? Material objects can either be tools to make your life easier/more comfortable OR objects to make your world/person look nice. Elevating a particular brand or type of object to any status above this is whats stupid.

Do I own gucci shoes? Yes

Why did I buy them? I liked them first and foremost, and a freind was a rep so they were no more expensive than any other dress shoes.

I don't own a single item of clothing that displays a brand name. Why should I pay big money to advertise for someone else on my person? They should pay me! But I do own a barcelona chair, becuase as a designer I place a high value on good design, and I just like the chair.

Draw your own lines. Im not going to like something becuase im told its good. Louis Vuitton makes me think of Asian tourists, and Polo makes me think of fratboy rich kids.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Dude's tempest in a teapot doesn't really do anything but call attention to himself on an international level. This is taking Nose-To-Spite-Your-Face and Forest-For-The-Trees to a whole other dimension. Hell, the guy is going to find it hard to brush his teeth and carry an inoffensive odor; even dollar-store toothbrushes and generic deodorant have brands or logotypes on them. But I suppose his ammassed cadre of teenage hippie girls swayed by his grasp of the obvious won't care either way.
    You can be just as materialistic without buying Brand Names. The pharaohs of Egypt, the Roman Caesars, the Mongol Khans, Deppian Pirates - none of these folks had toga tags or fur swag - they had big stuff and put it in your face - and those guys probably only had one or two changes of undergarments.

I'm not being at all flippant when I say this, but if this Pretty Fellow is really into a brand-free society, then the Amish lifestyle might be the way for him. But even the Plain People use brand-name pitchforks.

I'm not into being ostentatious with my money and I think that wealth can cloud taste. I like plain lines and classic looks. My favorite drinks are 1) Water, 2) Steamed skim milk with honey, and 3)Ceres??? Brand Pear Nectar. Likewise, I'd like my offspring to learn the value of a person before value of the clothes they wear. But this kid's "stance" is not a valid one.

Honestly, though: this Tacky Retro Shoe BullshitFuckshit has GOT to go.

WHOOP WHOOP! Auction raer for JP!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

DUDE...if I ever saw that for sale I would be one materialistic motherfucker!

(Although that T-shirt looks to be from a later era...Ray was a bit skinnier in '74 when he hit with "The Streak"...he still performs so this shirt probably came from his merch table in the 90's or 2000's.)

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Rey,

(multi-level question)

Do you seriously think this is a meaningful question? Is ironing shirts really a litmus test of character? You're basically implying that people who don't iron their shirts are in some way lacking. It's one thing to rag on Rey so hard because he appears to have money, but asking silly, self-righteous questions is .

Personally, I hate ironing shirts. I think it's a terrible waste of time and I happily pay the dry cleaners to launder them for me. They come back pressed and folded in convenient boxes for three bucks a pop. To me, it's money well spent.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

DUDE...if I ever saw that for sale I would be one materialistic motherfucker!

(Although that T-shirt looks to be from a later era...Ray was a bit skinnier in '74 when he hit with "The Streak"...he still performs so this shirt probably came from his merch table in the 90's or 2000's.)

When's your birthday? Better yet, could you fake a Large?

reynaldo is better than you all

A truly superfluous statement.