JAPAN APPRECIATION

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
BEST RECORD STORES IN THE WORLDHOT BITCHESWHO HAS BEEN TO JAPAN?WHO'S FUCKED A JAPANESE GIRL?WHO'S FUCKED A JAPANESE MAN? (no homo)peace.

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    cosign.
    I studied in Tokyo for one short-term. It all started with a pick up at Narita airport by a Japanese girl - so called "conversation partner" . Great country, great host family, great experience + Guided digging for months... PERFECT!!!

• yes having sex with japanese girls in japan is a great experience. we were listening to free design and one thing led to another.

haven't been there since 1999. planning on making a trip there sometime in the next year or so, definitely back on radar. too bad all of my friends there have turned into lifeless zombies by this point, repping some crews like Sony, Dell...TOKYU HAND.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts

WHO'S FUCKED A JAPANESE GIRL?

who has been pissed on??? (or whatever that shit is)

• WHO'S FUCKED A JAPANESE GIRL?

who has been pissed on??? (or whatever that shit is)

ewww this is the worst thread i've read today.

(and highly out dated)

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    ewww this is the worst thread i've read today.

(and highly out dated)

thank you mr. 73 posts

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Yeah! SHEEP, great thread, I've never been to Japan yet but one day I hope to go visit this country with you (no homo...LOL)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    DJ Serious & I are talking about making a trip out there early next year.

I should start saving now... Cause I wanna do EVERYTHING!!!

People are telling me that when you leave the cities and go out to the rural areas, it's like going back a hundred years!!!

Sheep, u need to be there when I get out that way! U must show me how you kick a samurai in the ass!!!

Yeah dude, even where I lived about 30 minutes outta Tokyo, it was kinda going way back to the old school... It's a spin out. Hit up the town of Nikko if you go to Tokyo, or even better go to KYOTO. You **CAN NOT** miss Kyoto if you go to Japan, note that down everyone. The *SICKEST* temples ever. Kinkakuji, Kiyomizu, etc. beautiful. Especially in Autumn.

Oh yeah, that photo was taken in Nikko... How I kicked the Samarai in the ass? -- when I left the amusement park (Edo Wonderland, it's themed like ancient Japan with Hatori Hanzo type Ninja and Samarai shows), he bowed down all formal to say "thank you", so I seized the oppurtunity for a funny snap.

I think I'm gunna be out there November 17th for 3 days... I work Wed, Fri and Sat, so I can only go Sun-Wed... sucks huh...

peace.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    visited japan about a year ago. spent most of my time in hokkaido, and was lucky enough to spend 3 days hiking out on the shiretoko penninsula. spent my first night in Japan getting drunk on shochu around a campfire with good friends on a mountaintop in the pouring rain only to wake up at the crack of dawn to witness the sun rise over the pacific ocean, clouds breaking away, the first colors of fall blazing up the mountainside, and no other humans around for miles. shit was beyond words.

on a related note, i'm willing to contest that i make the best chawanmushi of any roundeye in north america.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

HAHA

I love that pic!!!

We're thinking about getting a rail pass and do it up! But I must have some extra time hitting up spots in Shinjuku. I'm a gadget junkie and they must hook up tiny crazy electronic gizmos right to my veins!!!

I'm down to see and do everything Japan has to offer. Only thing is I don't eat is seafood, which should make things a bit difficult. But whatever...

Konichiwa BITCHES![/b]

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    i also have to add that the "masamoto sohonten" line of kitchen knives is so fucking sick. i have a 16.5 cm deba kasumi and a 24 cm virgin carbon steel sujihiki. i've used both the shave off the hair on my arms just because i can. haven't taken them to the face yet because i'm not that hardcore. but cutting fish is a mystical experience. i'm sure that not too many people on this board can relate to what i'm talking about, but this is a Japan appreciation post and this is one of the most explict ways in which i can communicate the level of love and pride that japanese people put into their product...even if it's just growing a radish or a carrot.
    i remember one day riding through Hokkaido with my cousin, and the whole fucking town was out sweeping the sidewalks and streets and my cousin had to duck down in the car as we drove through town so he wouldn't be ashamed that he wasn't helping. so i think there is a stifiling kind of social conformity that goes on there, but at the same time the country is fucking beautiful and people APPEAR to love what they do. but i stress the word in bold. haven't spent enough time there to know what really goes on and i'm sure there's some negative shit that goes down as a result of it. like in hokkaido women still can't ever be more than an office secretary. like when i visited my cousins school it was this woman's job to get me some coffee, but that was it. and she did it with such purpose, but i must have been the first visitor in weeks and still the government paid her for this job--so that every few weeks or months a visitor would come through she was there to provide a cup of coffee. hard to say if it's ultimately good or bad. ok, she had a job. but it's efffective every few weeks. otherwise she might be homeless. but that's extremely taboo in japan, and obviously a fucked up situation. not that we have any solutions in America, but it's an interesting situation. pay someone for a bullshit mind numbing job or leave them to the streets. japan seems to take the former position, american the latter. really hard question...any thoughts?

• ewww this is the worst thread i've read today.

(and highly out dated)

thank you MISS 74 posts

nihon umare babe~
    (:peace and appreciation not japan depreciation)

• those are my most favorite SS threads hehe, im in the process of settling all family & friends related issues, sellin all my stuff outside of turntables,wax,pc's-psp's...and my cats,and gettin ready to go to japan (osaka possibly)..cant friggin wait. was there only once for 2 weeks but i been around japanese culture since im like 5 (the male side of my family are all huge videogame marks lol, my sister got me into japanese music,my cousin got me into anime and the movies) so its like a life dream for me, cant wait...................

• I lived in Osaka for 3.5 years and i was so over Japan for about the last 12 months of my time there. It was a struggle as i was working 60hrs a week and really having no life except wealth accumulation (like a salaryman). I was sick of the food the lack of space and the culture of conformity.
    Looking back though I only miss a few things, the income (500 000 yen a month) and the record stores.
    Great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    japan is

visited japan 3 years ago. definitely felt in love with the culture and people. my japanese lessons start next week. will be there as soon as possible...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    i also have to add that the "masamoto sohonten" line of kitchen knives is so fucking sick. i have a 16.5 cm deba kasumi and a 24 cm virgin carbon steel sujihiki. i've used both the shave off the hair on my arms just because i can. haven't taken them to the face yet because i'm not that hardcore. but cutting fish is a mystical experience. i'm sure that not too many people on this board can relate to what i'm talking about, but this is a Japan appreciation post and this is one of the most explict ways in which i can communicate the level of love and pride that japanese people put into their product...even if it's just growing a radish or a carrot.

That??s so true. I bought a lot of kitchen equipment - knive, oroshi gane (kind of a special handmade grater), Japanese omelette pan, bunches of stainless steel Yakitori sticks aso - there and the stuff is simply unique. You can really feel the pride and effort they put into their products. Of course, high quality Japanese knives are great, but they are currently in fashion worldwide and a lot of crap is sold (on a sidenote: One of the first things my Japanese host family told me was that German knives are such a great thing )

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hello sheep san

ive been living in tokyo for a year now. i am scared about returning to melbourne and the record shopping that awaits me. i really have been spoilt.

have you bought yourself a copy of the record map? you can get it from tower records in shibuya for about 2000 yen....its in japanese but you can read maps right?

shibuya as you probably know is the best if you only had one day in japan to go digging, tho certainly not the cheapest. disc union and reco fan are where youll find the bargains however they generally know their stuff so your not going to be robbing them too often (tho your a little more likely to at reco fan)

check out jimbo cho...its a second hand bookstore/ record shop/ university kinda area on the other side of tokyo. the shops there are mostly run by old guys who are into their jazz, classical kinda stuff so the prices for more modern stuff can be really cheap. its organised by katakana, (thought in some cases not at all) so its a bit daunting at first but dig around and im sure youll figure it out

always remember to look up...often record shops are located on the upper levels of buildings that dont look like they have any businesses at all in them. theres an awesome(but expensive) rare groove collectors shop on the 11th floor of an aprtment building in shinjuku.

shinjuku is also dope but i always get lost walking around there.

and yes the girls are hot (dont call them bitches....youll never get any with that attitude)

hello sheep san

ive been living in tokyo for a year now. i am scared about returning to melbourne and the record shopping that awaits me. i really have been spoilt.

Australia is fucking shit for records. I haven't been diggin' in a record store *ONE TIME* since I've been back for 10 months or something...

theres an awesome(but expensive) rare groove collectors shop on the 11th floor of an aprtment building in shinjuku.

word, universounds... they are my hommies. I traded them a stack of Aussie stuff a couple of months ago. If you bring really obscure and good records there, they will look after you. Probably the best overall shop in Japan for raers...

peace.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Have spent time in Japan . But then I married a Japanese girl

DAMN son! What happened?

Actually, not to sterotype but all my mates who have Japanese girlfriends, have *weird* problems. Like fights and arguments that 12 year olds would have in a relationship. I get the ice grill from one of my hommies j-girlfriend too... apparently I'm a "weird gaijin"...

peace.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

DAMN son! What happened?

Actually, not to sterotype but all my mates who have Japanese girlfriends, have *weird* problems. Like fights and arguments that 12 year olds would have in a relationship. I get the ice grill from one of my hommies j-girlfriend too... apparently I'm a "weird gaijin"...

peace.
    Let's just say I'm better off. There is definitely a certain *weird*ness that seems to come with some Japanese girls (I have only been with this one, but other peoples' stories tend to paint a familiar picture). I got burned big time. I'm over it now, but pity on the next fool that shacks up with her.
    Japanese food is where its at though. mmmmmmmmmm.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    We just hosted 200 + Japanese girls at my work. I think they were from Tsuda College. A different group comes every summer to study english. Really cool people and I've even kept in touch with a few of the students from over the years.

peace

h

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    The book "Kokoro" by Soseki is cool. Seek it out if u haven't read it. I'd like to discover more literature from Jpn like that.

I got amped up and dug through the photo archives here and picked another 300 pictures from Japan I never posted from my 18 month stay... peep them out here --

http://djsheep.imeem.com/photo/rM7B7isx/

enjoy.

peace.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    Dayum, i wanna go to japan sooooooo baaaaad.
    Since i'm a kid i wanna go there.
    .....and it's not gonna happen soon