HELP NEEDED

dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I want to have an ancient pastry party, but don't really know any ancient pastries. Does anybody have any recipes to get me started?

Comments

• I want to have an ancient pastry party, but don't really know any ancient pastries. Does anybody have any recipes to get me started?

ancient is how far back in time?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I want to have an ancient pastry party, but don't really know any ancient pastries. Does anybody have any recipes to get me started?

very very far back in time.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    NEVA STOP DIGGIN

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

like when elaine benes ate a $29,000 cake that belonged to King Edward VIII?

like when elaine benes ate a $29,000 cake that belonged to King Edward VIII?

totally!

you have recipes??

Halloween 06:
    red wine, vampires, 40 versions of Beat Box, ancient pastry.

we're saving Michael Caine and Gremlins thru Roland Space Echo for Christmas.

like when Reynaldo bought a $29,000 cake that belonged to King Edward VIII?

like when Reynaldo bought a $29,000 cake that belonged to King Edward VIII, and didn't bother posting about it in the Weekend Finds thread?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    like when Reynaldo asked on Soul Strut about the flavor of a $29,000 cake that belonged to King Edward VIII 45 minutes before it closed on eBay, bought it, and didn't bother posting about it in the Weekend Finds thread?

But now now, this is not the place for this talk of royal cakes. Recipes are sought. A*udr*y I'm assuming you don't have recipes or you are busy developing a time machine to go find some recipes (and if so I admonish you for your efforts).

As for the rest of you, I better wake up and see some

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    But now now, this is not the place for this talk of royal cakes. Recipes are sought. A*udr*y I'm assuming you don't have recipes or you are busy developing a time machine to go find some recipes (and if so I admonish you for your efforts).

Admonish or admire?

Admonish or admire?

is admonish a good word? I forgot. I thought abolish was bad, but admonish is like a pat on the back or something. maybe it's not a word at all.
    time to sleep.

The American Heritage?? Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

admonish

SYLLABICATION: ad??mon??ish
    PRONUNCIATION: d-mnsh
    TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: ad??mon??ished, ad??mon??ish??ing, ad??mon??ish??es
    1. To reprove gently but earnestly. 2. To counsel (another) against something to be avoided; caution. 3. To remind of something forgotten or disregarded, as an obligation or a responsibility.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Dumplings and Noodles in Early China[/b]

Flour sifted twice,
    Flying snow of white powder,
    In a stretchy, sticky dough
    Kneaded with water or brothe, it becomes shiny.
    Then water is set to boil over the fire,
    Waiting for the steam to rise,
    We hitch up our clothes, we roll up our sleeves,
    And we knead, and we shape, and we smooth, and we stretch.
    Finally the dough detaches from our fingers
    Under the palm it is perfectly rolled out in all directions
    And without a break in the haste and hurry
    The stars sparate and the hailstones fall.
    In the basket, no spattered stuffing
    On the bing not a trace of extra dough.
    Perfectly lined up, of great beauty,
    Without breaking, the dough is fine and thin.
    It swells so that one can guess at the stuffing below,
    Soft as silk floss in the springtime
    White as autumn silk, cooked just in time.

--Shu Xi, "Ode to Bing, ca. 300,
    trasl. Antony Shugaar

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen, Revised Ed. by Harold McGee 2004
    page 572

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

i don't have recipes. but i am thinking you can use a modern recipe for a pastry and use ancient ingredients to make it an ancient pastry. unfortunately my new apartment doesn't have a portal to the past otherwise i'd help you get some of these ingredients. maybe you can find some ancient ingredients on ebay

sidenote, this image came up when i googled "ancient cookie":

haaaaa

• these are pretty funn too:

http://recipesource.com/misc/weird/

• I think I remember from some random cooking class that one of the oldest types of confection is a type of pound cake? Maybe this old english madiera cake i found on wiki, nothing more than butter, eggs, sugar, milk w zest of lemon.

thanks for the help!

I've learned that I ought not try out new 3 syllable words at this stage in my life, and pre-medieval pastries are hard to come by.

• this party is gonna be amazing.

our new studio is down the hall from these guys.
    i should try to cop some fresh gear from them to rock while eating ancient pastries and cuttin' doubles of "greensleeves."

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    If you're interested in Roman cuisine, I have a friend who's way into ancient Rome (as in he blogs in Latin). I've had some stuff from his Ancient Rome cookbook, kinda interesting, sorta crude--the Romans did not have many of the ingredients that we take for granted. I'll try to figure out the book he used.

Also, you should definitely check out the Harold McGee book I quoted above. I doesn't have many recipies but it has tons of historical and scientific information about the history and origins of foods we eat.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

our new studio is down the hall from these guys.

I was going to scoff at these replicas, until I saw the endorsement from good
    old Ewart Oakeshott - a man whose dagger expertise I truly admonish!