PAPoose gets 1.5 MIL...

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
seirously?
According to an announcement from Violator management, Brooklyn MC Papoose has inked a deal worth $1.5 million with Jive Records. The signing ends months of speculation over where the much-hyped mixtape regular would finally land. DJ Kay Slay, who first signed Papoose to his Streetsweepers Entertainment, has been throwing around the $1.5 million dollar figure in interviews for several weeks, and even went so far as to name the rapper???s last mixtape The 1.5 Million Dollar Man. Earlier this year, Kay Slay forged a deal with Busta Rhymes and Flipmode Squad in an attempt to pool resources and help secure the most favorable deal for the artist. Papoose was awarded Mixtape Artist of the Year at the 2005 Justo???s Mixtape Awards.xxlmag.com

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

• Ha. That's 150 mil down the tube.

• I like his stuff but it will be interesting to see if he can put together a cohesive LP...

• Shit - I haven't even heard a cohesive song yet.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    he better hope he comes with at least 3 hot singles to get that advance back... He'll be lucky to break gold in the current environment...

• Shit - I haven't even heard a cohesive song yet.

Thats a bit harsh, not feeling "Law Library" or "Faces Of Death" ???

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    seirously?

According to an announcement from Violator management, Brooklyn MC Papoose has inked a deal worth $1.5 million with Jive Records. The signing ends months of speculation over where the much-hyped mixtape regular would finally land. DJ Kay Slay, who first signed Papoose to his Streetsweepers Entertainment, has been throwing around the $1.5 million dollar figure in interviews for several weeks, and even went so far as to name the rapper???s last mixtape The 1.5 Million Dollar Man. Earlier this year, Kay Slay forged a deal with Busta Rhymes and Flipmode Squad in an attempt to pool resources and help secure the most favorable deal for the artist. Papoose was awarded Mixtape Artist of the Year at the 2005 Justo???s Mixtape Awards.

xxlmag.com

Dudes--and their management--talk all kinds of schitt about the numbers they're getting, and there's no real way to know if this is true.

I'm skeptical and I have a hard time believing Jive wouldn't share my reticence to commit that kind of money, because the numbers are very easy to think through.

Papoose makes exactly the type of hip-hop that is not currently in vogue and the rap market is generally hurting--only one rap album released this year (T.I.) has gone platinum and I can only think of one more that has any prospect of getting there (Yung Joc).

I'd say 300K is a stretch for Papoose, and if you figure the wholesale for CDs is $10 (just a guess), that would mean a gross of 3M for the label... they're going to give half of that away to Pap upfront?

And before somebody says something--dude is not a long-term investment; he is not going to release a string of progressively more popular albums over the course of the next decade. He'll be in and out of the major label game with one album.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Dudes--and their management--talk all kinds of schitt about the numbers they're getting, and there's no real way to know if this is true.

I'm skeptical and I have a hard time believing Jive wouldn't share my reticence to commit that kind of money, because the numbers are very easy to think through.

Papoose makes exactly the type of hip-hop that is not currently in vogue and the rap market is generally hurting--only one rap album released this year (T.I.) has gone platinum and I can only think of one more that has any prospect of getting there (Yung Joc).

I'd say 300K is a stretch for Papoose, and if you figure the wholesale for CDs is $10 (just a guess), that would mean a gross of 3M for the label... they're going to give half of that away to Pap upfront?

And before somebody says something--dude is not a long-term investment; he is not going to release a string of progressively more popular albums over the course of the next decade. He'll be in and out of the major label game with one album.

Even if true, the smallprint will take care of occuring losses...better bet on dudes doing their homework. But who knows? Maybe the hype around his persona took over and let them do irrational decisions...but then again, the hype was almost on the downfall again when all this happened imho....I wish him success...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    But suppose he's the anomaly that breaks the south's back

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Papoose = saigon = who cares = semi-hype 3 years ago

Even if true, the smallprint will take care of occuring losses...better bet on dudes doing their homework. But who knows? Maybe the hype around his persona took over and let them do irrational decisions...but then again, the hype was almost on the downfall again when all this happened imho....I wish him success...

Uh, is there any real hype beyond Kay Slay--who's got him locked up in a contract--bellowing about how he's next and pushing out another interminably boring tape every week?

I have no idea how these deals are structured, but I would guess that it's a deal that could be worth up to 1.5M--like seven albums, each at the label's option, with a 200K advance per--which is very different.

remember he supposed to have "Hip Hop in the palm of my hand"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

What MC hasn't said that?

Please be serious.

You must not have heard him.

What MC hasn't said that?

I thought it was only LL that said shit like that.

Shit - I haven't even heard a cohesive song yet.

Actually, I think his problem may that cohesiveness is all he's got going for him--he can definitely stay on topic/work a gimmick"concept"... now whether or not they're "songs," is arguable.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    He'll be lucky if he sells (cough) Nas numbers, but I still think he's a pretty good rapper and i like the one mixtape i have.

Why do have his myspace address if youre not feelin' him like that

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

i found this hilarity in his friends sections

50 cents diss and more

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

you got me. i got pictures of his crack head ass on my wall.

you got me. i got pictures of his crack head ass on my wall.

Just be truthful about it dont keep it on the down low, just sayin'

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah i know.
    actually me and this dude

are going to papooses crib tonight.