Bruce Webber is that dude (IL related)

parenparen 537 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I met Webber in '92 (back when I could actually ball) and he was the nicest college coach (then an assistant at Purdue) with whom I ever spoke. Had my game improved enough over the course of next couple of years to make me a Big Ten contender, I would have bounced to Purdue on the strength of his persona alone. Big up Ill state | Big up Bruce Webber, if ever there was a cat who deserved a championship it's him. BIGTENSAYWORD[/b]

Comments

• parenparen 537 Posts
    incidently, (commercial-related): Adrian Brody + Lyrics Born = Diet Coke!??!?

• parenparen 537 Posts
    dear state of north carolina,

i hate you. i would illegally screen you so fucking hard.

all best,

paren.

• So close... what a miracle season though. I went to the Illinois v. Arizona game, which was the best game I ever saw. But came up a little short tonight. Weber still the man. And Illinois still the workingman's champ. They just couldn't put a cap on May's ass; plus Augustine came up emtpy, literally. The officiating was booty, though; wanted North Carolina to win.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    So close... what a miracle season though. I went to the Illinois v. Arizona game, which was the best game I ever saw. But came up a little short tonight. Weber still the man. And Illinois still the workingman's champ. They just couldn't put a cap on May's ass; plus Augustine came up emtpy, literally. The officiating was booty, though; wanted North Carolina to win.

I don't agree with that. They were letting dee brown hammer people. Did you see him hit Noel in the face and yank down his arm with no call ?

May cannot be stopped, that is why unc won not the officiating.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    They just got outplayed... plain and simple. May is the Shaq of college ball and if your big guy picks up four fouls by reaching in on the guards, you're not going to win.

It sucks. Illinois has been my pick 4 out of the last 5 years and I thought this was the year. They're my new Red Sox. I went from a possible landslide victory in my office pool to third place... a difference of $125.

Oh well, a highly entertaining tourney, and now Webber can get his voice back. Hopefully he wears the orange jacket every day from now on because it's damn pimp.

DJ Ferrari

• You're right. There were some "no calls" on both sides. But I do remember one instance of Roger Powell Jr. get tossed around, getting fouled at least twice -- and no call. Also, Augustine got called for at least a couple really light "touch" fouls, and fouled out without making any impact whatsoever.

But the officiating did not decide this game. May, as it has been said, CANNOT BE STOPPED. Illinois could only hope to contain him. I wished they would have doubled-up on him a little more. But, with their main man out, and Ingram in foul trouble, they didn't have many options. Illinois should have spread their game out a little more. There were several instances where they should have gone for two -- like Dee Brown's fastbreak -- but instead went for three and missed. Chalk that up either to inexperienced playing or coaching. Also, North Carolina has some monster players -- especially the birthday boy -- and were penetrating like Peter North.

All in all, a great game on both sides. I was going for Illinois, but I didn't feel too sad or salty when they lost. Just great b-ball. I look forward to seeing May in the N.B.A. Deron Williams, too.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    There were several instances where they should have gone for two -- like Dee Brown's fastbreak -- but instead went for three and missed.

That was the worst play of the game by far. 3 on 1... shoot a 3... miss... don't get the rebound. Not awesome.

DJ Ferrari