What do the PEOPLE think of "Idlewild" ?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I'm a big Outkast fan- I???ve loved all of there albums (including The Love Below) and I'm white. Idlewild is getting a critical thrashing for the most part - but these seem to be the same critics that seem to be bowing at the alter of anything "coke-rap" related. I like Weezy and the Clipse and all - but they've got a long way to go to get near the Outkast catalog. I have to admit, I haven't really dug anything that I???ve heard or seen on this record (Letterman performance ). But I think it's ambitious and that's commendable. I liked a couple things - but is it that they made a flop? Not relevant? What does the hood think of them? Is anyone bumpin this? Is this gonna sell? Platinum? Gold? triple wood? I want to hear the non-white, over educated, non trend-hopping opinion.Thanks

Comments

• Hollywood Divource is the shit. I've been meaning to go to Best Buy and cop one (is it still on sale for like 9.00 bucks?)

And it's probally getting thrashed with SOME "white critics" because Outkast don't fit the stereotype thatthose same critics have of colored people.

5 Pager

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

And it's probally getting thrashed with SOME "white critics" because Outkast don't fit the stereotype thatthose same critics have of colored people.

What stereotype would that be?

Because I would argue that Idlewild is considerably less nuanced, subtle and *gag* "intelligent" than their first four albums.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    This thread's awkward appeal to authenticity is kind of nagl.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    What's the non-white people of color opinion of "Idlewild" ?

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    This thread's awkward appeal to authenticity is kind of nagl.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    colored people.

I'm not going to see the movie and I'm not gonna cop the soundtrack/music inspired by Lp.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    What's the non-white people of color opinion of "Idlewild" ?
    Weighing in just once: The question you have posed for the subject of this thread is NAGL. "People of color"/"non-white people" don't always have the same opinion.

Q: Hey, you're black/latino/etc, what do you think about Idlewild?

Maybe that's not how you mean to come off, but for me it "reads" badly.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    how non-white are we looking for here?

I got middle eastern blood in me, so can I answer?

please let me know how dark a hue I can be before I qualify to give a colored opinion

PS I heard all asians think alike, can someone confirm?

Fellas, this post is great. Comedically speaking.

Oh, and Fat Joe informed Hot 97's morning listeners yesterday that "The hood is feeling that Paris Hilton album crazy!"

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    you should write the moderator and have this thread removed before more people see it.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    you should write the moderator and have this thread removed before more people see it.

Believe me, I realize that this is not a Politically correct way to ask this question. Maybe it is an awkward appeal to authenticity ? But I genuinely wonder if these critics really think it sucks or are they trying to be hard by pushing the new Trae record?

What do the PEOPLE think.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    But I genuinely wonder if these critics[/b] really think it sucks or are they trying to be hard by pushing the new Trae record?

Name names!

Believe me, I realize that this is not a Politically correct way to ask this question. Maybe it is an awkward appeal to authenticity ? But I genuinely wonder if these critics really think it sucks or are they trying to be hard by pushing the new Trae record?

What do the PEOPLE think.

It's not that it's less than politically correct--it's that it's just plain silly.

There is no "non-white opinion" on the movie/album; there are as many non-white opinions on it as there are nonwhite people who have seen/heard it.

There is no "non-white opinion" on the movie/album; there are as many non-white opinions on it as there are nonwhite people who have seen/heard it.
    I agree. I changed it to the PEOPLE, but I guess I mean the "non-critical" opinion.

If the streets dont feel this album/movie, how will it affect your perspective?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    But I genuinely wonder if these critics[/b] really think it sucks or are they trying to be hard by pushing the new Trae record?

Name names!

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2006/08/white_people_lo.php

I mean the "non-critical" opinion.

Non-white/Streets = Non- critical?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I mean the "non-critical" opinion.

Non-white/Streets = Non- critical?

It's a Cambodian thang, you wouldn't understand

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If you're really able to be honest with yourself and your surroundings, you'll realize that in many ways Trae's album is more emo than gangsta.

If you're really able to be honest with yourself and your surroundings, you'll realize that in many ways Trae's album is more emo than gangsta.

Who's Trae?

Hopefully it wont either way? I listened to the record online and it was the worst Outkast record in my opinion-but maybe on it's own it holds up - i dunno? I'm curious to see what the mass response is. Not the hipster/elitist/young jeezy is the top 5 dead or alive( I secretly own all of the roots records - shhhh) opinion.

Who's Trae?

Trae of Assholes by Nature/Guerilla Maab/Screwed Up Click.

Hopefully it wont either way? I listened to the record online and it was the worst Outkast record in my opinion-but maybe on it's own it holds up - i dunno? I'm curious to see what the mass response is. Not the hipster/elitist/young jeezy is the top 5 dead or alive( I secretly own all of the roots records - shhhh) opinion.

Why don't you step away from the computer and actually talk to some of the people whose opinions you are seeking out?

Who's Trae?

Trae of Assholes by Nature/Guerilla Maab/Screwed Up Click.

Is he in IDLEWILD? The movie or soundtrack?

I'm curious to see what the mass response is. Not the hipster/elitist... opinion.

So, uh, why are you posing the question on SoulStrut?

Trae OWNS[/b] Idlewild.

Trae OWNS[/b] Idlewild.

That doesnt say much, does it?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if trae was on the idlewild soundtrack it would sell half as many copies but have twice as much street cred

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    if trae was on the idlewild soundtrack it would sell half as many copies but have twice as much street cred

would it be backed by Fat Joe?