Any Cats Out There Nice with the Household Chores?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Hey Fellas,

Right now, I'm on the 'Strut while I'm washing, drying, and folding laundry (which my wife does most of the time). Every blue moon, the wife guilts me about doing more domestic chores around the house. I'm usually good about it though. This made me think, are there any other dudes out there like me that take pride in having skills in the crib? Please respond to the list of questions, focusing on typically female chores versus masculine ones like yardwork, washing cars, and so on, as I've done below:

1. What domestic chores do you perform regularly?

-Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning glass and mirrors, and washing dishes.

2. Do you cook? Yes.

3. If you cook, what's your best dish.

-Chicken cacciatore (the wife likes my Southern fried chicken too).

4. How would your "significant other" rate your domestic skills?

-She would say that I'm good (or better than most of her friend's boyfriends/husbands who don't do shit in the house).

5. What are some of your domestic quirks (i.e., fluffy-type things you do to make the crib a little nicer that your cats might clown you about)?

-Shake Carpet Fresh on the carpet before vacuuming.
-Spray Renuzit in the air to give the crib that fresh flower smell.
-Light scented candles around the crib sometimes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    GROWN AND SEXY TOPIC

-Wash dishes, clean the kitchen, do the laundry, take out the trash, take out the recycling, mow the lawn. When we do our monthly house cleaning, we pretty much split the chores equally, but I'm usually the one who does the straightening up in between major cleanings.

2. Do you cook?

Just for myself unless wifey's sick. She WANTS to cook every meal because it means she doesn't have to do dishes.

Bowtie pasta with spicy spinach & artichoke hearts.

If I'm on her good side, a 10.

If I'm in the doghouse, a 5.

What are some of your domestic quirks (i.e., fluffy-type things you do to make the crib a little nicer that your cats might clown you about)?

I take a shower every day, don't I? Sheesh.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo Marco,

I guess we've got a lot of slovenly, slobby cats on the 'Strut. Maybe we're the only two bros with domestic skills. By the way, you mentioned yardwork, but I was focusing more on chores considered less stereotypically male.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I thought this was going to be another beer thread. I really wanted to see a Bud/Coors/Miller vs. Heineken/Corona flame war.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I thought that was gonna be a Domestic Cats thread.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

All of them, I live on my own.

2. Do you cook? HELL yes

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

who?

5. What are some of your domestic quirks (i.e., fluffy-type things you do to make the crib a little nicer that your cats might clown you about)?

-Shake Carpet Fresh on the carpet before vacuuming.
    -Light scented candles around the crib sometimes.(SOMETIMES...I usually hate those fuckin things but I got this cool orange scented one from my moms work that's all natural and it smells nice)

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    ...This made me think, are there any other dudes out there like me that take pride in having skills in the crib?

What? I do it all... my mom is a cleaner but not a cook, so I clean my butt off but I dont really cook... I can read though so I can cook a little something... I do the things you listed almost daily and still go to work and bang out eight hours and take care of two boys...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I DO A LOT OF DISHES, KEEP THE KITCHEN CLEAN, GARBAGE. FEED WALK THE DOG AND CAT. GROCERY SHOPPING.

SHE VACUUMS 3 TIMES A WEEK, I NEVER NOTICE IT DIRTY ENOUGH TO VACUUM.

I USED TO DO THE LAUNDRY A LOT BUT SHE DOES MOST OF IT NOW.

2. Do you cook?

YES, LOTS.

THE FIRST TIME WE MET I HAD HER OVER FOR BRAZILIAN BLACK BEAN SOUP WITH CORN BREAD AND A TOSSED SALAD.

TONINGHT I MADE HASH BROWNS AND SERVED IT WITH FRIED EGGS AND TOAST. CURRENT FAVORITE AROUND HERE IS A WHOLE ROASTED CHICKEN ON THE GRILL WITH MISQUITE COALS. YOU COAT THE BIRD IN KOSHER SALT AND FENNEL SEEDS PLUS EITHER GARLIC OR RED PEPPER FLAKES.

I'M A SLOB AND SHE KNOWS IT. ANY CLEANING I DO IS ONLY BECAUSE I LOVE HER.

EVERY NOW AND THEN I MAKE THE BED IF I GET TO IT BEFORE HER.

DAN

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yeah Fellas,

That's what I'm talking about! There are definitely some domestic kings up in the joint. I was starting to wonder if there were a bunch of 'Strutter cats raising dust bunnies under their beds!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
    Yeah Fellas,

That's what I'm talking about! There are definitely some domestic kings up in the joint. I was starting to wonder if there were a bunch of 'Strutter cats raising dust bunnies under their beds!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

whoa now..I may do chores, but cleaning sucks and I've got the dust bunnies to prove it!

-Laundry, dishes, cleaning MY bathroom.

2. Do you cook? Yes.

-TACOS (my favorite dish)...I make all sorts of shit.

-The bitch don't do shit.

-Light candles, spray the bathroom after a smelly shit

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

Laundry and washing dishes mostly

2. Do you cook? Yes.

Honey, soy, chilli pork fillet stir fry

All praise.. She knows that as long as i get my 'Before Anything' bong shit gets done.

No fluff here!!

• 1. Dusting, vacuuming, washing dishes, mopping, garbage- recycling, laundry roundup, diaper changing/disposal, picking up after toddler/kids, make bed (more seldom though), grocery shopping, handyman duties, help with math homework, etc etc .

2. Yes.

3. Not much of a gourmet cook but I make decent spaghetti, omlettes, various salads, quesadillas, smoothies

4. hmmm...she's pretty tough so I would say a 7

5. Spot detail on kitchen floor, a lil nag champa brah

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Big Stacks,
    I am not embarassed to say that I am a domestic GOD. My father instilled this in me as a kid, a clean and clear environment means a clean and clear mind, believe this, I cannot work with a mess in the crib.

-Everything from washing dishes to laundry to mopping floors. I'm glad I live in an apartment because if not I'd have to do the yard too.

2. Do you cook?

Yes, five nights out of the week. Love it, like digging, its theraputical for me.

Braised short beef ribs

She thinks I'm OCD.

I fold used grocery bags to reuse.

Keepin' It Clean---El Garcia Vega

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Great thread Stacks!

Wifey is Japanese so our crib is CRAZY CLEAN all the time.
    1st thing we do when we walk in the door - take off our shoes, they stay in the hallway or in boxes in our closets.
    2nd thing we do after we walk in the door - wash our hands.

-Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning glass and mirrors, washing dishes, doing laundry,
    folding clothes, EVERYTHING! We both clean all the time. I can't sleep unless all the dishes are done and/or in the dishwasher.

2. Do you cook? Yes.

-Too many dishes to list. I AM A FOOL IN THE KITCHEN! I love to cook and make everything. Japanese food, Chinese food, Italian food, etc. I cook most of the time, but Wifey is a mean cook as well. We love to cook big dinners.

- A++ I am thorough with the domestic chores. It's not a game! You HAVE to keep your crib crazy nice and clean, it's where you LIVE!

Wifey does most of that, but it's cool with me if she's happy. Scented candles, the hallway has been painted pastel pink, small lamps with pink lampshades, lots of nice art hanging on the walls, antique furniture, etc.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

- I mop. She cleans up the house and vacuums and sweeps, and when she is done I mop. I clean the bathroom and we take turns washing the dishes. I hate washing dishes so much that I often try to pay her to do it when it is my turn but she won't take my money (not even $100). We take turns doing the laundry. Sometimes I get out in our little backyard with a slingblade and chop down all the weeds. I deal with the cat's food and litter box.

2. Do you cook?

- Yes.

- Blackened catfish with cornbread, red beans & rice and salad.

- prolly like a 13 out of 18

- i ain't heard of that

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

2. Do you cook?

1).Laundry, keeping the bathroom "clean" (man-clean, not OCD-female clean), garbage, taking care of the bird, doing random errands (sp), help run my folks buisness, handy man crap, help my mom with the little boy she takes care of.

2). Just for 'delf and it's mostly frozen vegetarian food. I can't cook for shit

3). Hitting 3:00 on the microwave ( I eat out a lot)

4). I used to be a major slob, but ex-girls would rate me as a 7.

5). none. but if I ever actually live (i.e. move-in/pay rent and not just crash there everyday) with a woman than I know I'll probally do a lot of stuff that I'll find "questionable".

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    and I'm waiting for Reynaldo's response.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    1-5:

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    taking care of the bird

BIRDCALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

A while back, me and the girlf seperated out the chores. I got taking out the garbage, cleaning the bathroom, feeding the cat and some other things I dont do.

2. Do you cook?

I do most of the cuisine cooking. I can cook anything man. eggrolls to pasta, I got that locked down.

The best dish is this salmon that I make with a reduction sauce of crushed orange bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms and chicken broth. I bake the salmon with olive oil, garlic and feta cheese. Oh man.

Poorly. I am totally absent minded about the mess I leave. Also, I prefer te place dirty and scattered. A clean house makes me nervous.

I always offer tea and food to friends over.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    taking care of the bird

BIRDCALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Birdcall bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

-Dishes, walking the dog, cleaning the bathroom, cooking

2. Do you cook?

YES

-Young guzzo is a master in the kitchen...I've been working on several salmon dishes as of late...todays experiment was garlic sauteed salmon in vodka sauce served over a bed of tortelini.

-girl i'm seeing and I haven't reached the homemaker period she's?pretty much straight up del taco or gumbo

-Light incense (mostly nag champa)
    - prepare most chicken dishes with a dash of cinnamon on the plate to keep it aromatic (stole the idea from a fancy restaurant in west hollywood)
    -replace towels daily, even if they haven' been used, always use downey freshener for the washer as well as dryer sheets

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I hate washing dishes so much that I often try to pay her to do it when it is my turn but she won't take my money (not even $100).

Man, I hate that shit too. When I was single and slumming it, a homey of mine was over and noticed how fucked up the sink was. I honestly hadn't done the dishes for about 3 months. There was shit growing, everything was kind of brown, it stank. He was like "hey if you pay me 40 bucks I'll do those dishes for you." I agreed and watched tv while my he did em. Best 40 bucks ever spent.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I wash dishes with the best of 'em! not some half-ass washing and rinsing!

2. Do you cook?

sometimes.

Oyakodon, Curry, and Chicken a la King

8/10 (she has given me props for my dish-washing skills.)

5. What are some of your domestic quirks

none.

woah, that was a boring-ass response! great post Stacks!!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    and I'm waiting for Faux_Rillz' response.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts

-Laundry - I find hanging the wet clothes w/the ipod on quite relaxing, I've also got well into gardening in the last year or so, nothing nicer than seeing stuff i've planted grow. I also do my share of the hoovering and all that. What I really hate is cleaning the bathroom, so I generally leave that to the lady whenever possible

2. Do you cook?

-HELL YES, I would say I love cooking as much as Rackerdz, which is a good bargaining chip towards doing as little of the general housework as possible.

-Rice n peas, Jerk Chicken or Pork w/mango salsa or callaloo. My girlfriend likes my Fish pie better though, but I'd have to go with the Caribbean stuff.

-I easily do my fair share, so no complaints there + my cooking is legendary (even if I do say so...).

- Baby bio/miracle-grow the plants to keep em looking good and green

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Regularly? Not a gottam thing! If I see the wife slackin' in some area I'll get disgusted and step in with the dusting or window washing or whatever.

2. Do you cook?

Yes, if you want to call it cooking. It always involves a microwave.

Beef franks & vegeterian beans (also Marie Callender Honey Roasted Chicken dinners, egg whites & turkey bacon on a hot dog roll and also turkey bacon microwaved and slapped on top of a Wendy's classic single)

She would say that I don't do shit (and I don't, I just try not to make any excess mess), but I do clean up after myself after using dishes or trimming my beard, etc. And I do my own laundry- can't trust anybody else to handle all those played out $300 throwbacks.
    Now, how do I rate HER skills? She's gotten much better, I must admit- at the beginning she was a straight up disaster with all the domestic duties. She tried to whip me into shape and get me to do a lot of the domestic shit, but ya know me- NOT HAVIN' IT. She still ain't very thorough with the cleaning, but I can't complain.

I flush immediately after each terd drops so that the smell won't sit in the bowl for too long, thereby funking up the whole upstairs area (and possibly the entire house- I have very powerful bowel movements).

• gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts
    I'm a stay at home dad. I do everthing around the house from top to bottom house cleaning, cooking, plus all house/yard/car repairs and maintenance. I take pride in keeping my kids and domicile nice and tight.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I get the little guy dressed in the morning and pack his breakfast, lunch and bottles for day care. At night I do the dishes, fold laundry etc.

I am also primarily responsible for keeping the cat box clean...

Oh...uh....I can't cook for shit ( I can scramble eggs and fry hot dosg and hamburgers and stuff, but nothing that requires a "recipe")...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

She would say that I don't do shit (and I don't, I just try not to make any excess mess), but I do clean up after myself after using dishes or trimming my beard, etc. And I do my own laundry-

That kinda sums it up for me lately...just trying to keep everything under some kinda control. The wife is a neatnik, but has a strange habit of sweeping the floor and then leaving the sweepings for someone else(uhhhm, I guess me) to sweep up. I do the dishes most often and we both are the most predictable cooks in the world. She has been trying to get me cooking more, because I think it's just not what she likes to do. When she does, it's usually pretty good, same with me, but our attention spans just don't work well with meal planning. We have seperate bathrooms, which means that mine is not always as clean as hers, obviously.

Single guys....beware how long you live solo, it can make adjusting to another person very difficult.

She would rate me 4 out of 10....but would note that I am improving.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Got a little dudes with an incense fetish up in here.

Nag champions.