Gatlin banned for 8 years (NRR)

JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,,1856318,00.html
Gatlin accepts eight-year ban and promises anti-doping aid Duncan Mackay Wednesday August 23, 2006Guardian Unlimited Justin Gatlin, the Olympic and world 100 metres champion and joint world-record holder, last night admitted he had committed a doping offence and accepted an eight-year ban that effectively signals the end of the American's career, as he will not be eligible to compete again until he is 32, two years after the 2012 London Olympics.The United States Anti-Doping Agency announced that Gatlin has agreed to the validity of his positive test for testosterone in April and "promised to co-operate" in anti-doping efforts, as first reported in the Guardian on August 11.In exchange, USADA said it would not seek a life ban which they could under the rules of the International Association of Athletics Federations as Gatlin previously tested positive for amphetamines, which they have accepted was a genuine mistake.Gatlin's promise to co-operate is likely to include his willingness to provide evidence against his coach Trevor Graham, who has been the target of USADA for nearly three years. Gatlin is one of 11 athletes to have been suspended for doping violations while they were being coached by Graham, who also previously trained Marion Jones, who is facing a two-year ban after testing positive for EPO. His share of the 100m world record equalled in May, when Gatlin clocked 9.77sec in Doha, will also be forfeited.Jamaica's Asafa Powell will then be the sole holder of the sport's most prestigious mark. At 24, even an eight-year ban spells the end of Gatlin's career but his willingness to co-operate could save him from facing criminal charges under the ongoing FBI investigation into the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, the California clinic he and Graham have been linked with.The USA Track and Field chief executive, Craig Masback last night said: "While we are glad Justin has taken responsibility for his positive test and will co-operate in USADA's anti-doping efforts, we are sorely disappointed in him."Gatlin tested positive in April for testosterone, five years after his first positive test, which was for medicine to control attention-deficit disorder. Under the World Anti-Doping Agency code, a second doping offence calls for a lifetime ban. But under the compromise reached with USADA, he can still appeal to an arbitration panel in the next six months to have the term reduced. He cannot, however, dispute the test result and it is unlikely he would be treated with much sympathy."It's recognition that the science is reliable," USADA's general counsel Travis Tygart said. "Instead of wasting a bunch of resources attempting to create smoke where there's not any, he's acknowledging the accuracy of the positive test and, in exchange for his agreement to co-operate, we've recognised the nature of his first offence."That came while Gatlin was in college. He stopped taking the ADD medicine a few days before competition but it did not clear his system. He received a two-year ban for that test, reduced by a year because of the offence's "exceptional circumstances". USADA's chief executive officer Terry Madden said: "The nature of Gatlin's first offence for use of his medication puts this violation in a unique category."This time, Gatlin has said he did not know how steroids got into his system. Graham claimed Gatlin tested positive after a massage therapist used testosterone cream on the runner without his knowledge. But Gatlin and his legal team have distanced themselves from that claim."He accepted liability," Tygart said. "He agreed not to raise technical arguments or frivolous defences. He has an opportunity to go to a panel of arbitrators and argue exceptional circumstances."
I guess the only good that may come out of this is that Trevor Graham may finally gets his comeuppance.Don't see how they can continue on much longer with the cloud of suspicion hanging over any sub 10 second athlete (I remember Ben Johnson once saying that no man would ever beat the time he ran in Seoul without the aid of drugs).I miss the days when sprinters were my childhood heroes.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I used to run this event and the 200, 400 and long jump. It has always amazed me that it took Calvin Smith 15 years to best Jim Hines' 9.95 by 2 hundredths in 1983, and then have the mark caned repeatedly down since then. The optimist in me put this down to the fact that these fellas can be "Pro" now and therefore train full time and get top training and nutrition.

If Asafa Powell is legit, then he is the best ever at this event. After him, I would say Carl Lewis (who I hate, but I reckon he was legit and gets props for doing 9.86 / 19.75 way back). He was also in the top 2 or 3 times every year for a long time - unlike a lot of the guys since then.

Michael Johnson is the best all-round sprinter ever.

Don't get me going about the Women's side. All those Eastern-Bloc records will never be touched. Just makes you realise how good Cathy Smallwood/Cook was - she was the only clean athlete (IMHO) at the time and gave them a good run.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I used to run this event and the 200, 400 and long jump. It has always amazed me that it took Calvin Smith 15 years to best Jim Hines' 9.95 by 2 hundredths in 1983, and then have the mark caned repeatedly down since then. The optimist in me put this down to the fact that these fellas can be "Pro" now and therefore train full time and get top training and nutrition.

If Asafa Powell is legit, then he is the best ever at this event. After him, I would say Carl Lewis (who I hate, but I reckon he was legit and gets props for doing 9.86 / 19.75 way back). He was also in the top 2 or 3 times every year for a long time - unlike a lot of the guys since then.

Michael Johnson is the best all-round sprinter ever.

Don't get me going about the Women's side. All those Eastern-Bloc records will never be touched. Just makes you realise how good Cathy Smallwood/Cook was - she was the only clean athlete (IMHO) at the time and gave them a good run.

Yeah I have real problems with Carl Lewis, there were always rumours circulating about him and steriods as well (seem to recall there being a story couple of years ago that he was technically banned from the Seoul games but they overturned it).

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Michael Johnson is the greatest all-round sprinter ever.

BTW Has a whitey beat Marian Voronin's 10:00? I turned in 10.9 but I that extra 10% is exponentially more difficult to get.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    BTW Has a whitey beat Marian Voronin's 10:00? I turned in 10.9 but I that extra 10% is exponentially more difficult to get.

Nope apparently the record still stands which is pretty incredible. By the way, 10.9 is a decent time to have run, you coulda been a contender (with the right steroids package obviously)

There were lots of people quicker than 10.9 when I was running. I don't think I could have gone any faster, drugs or not. I would think you would need, as an adult, the talent to bat out 10.2's all day long for it to be worth bothering about. I wouldn't have done 10.2 on a motorbike.

I can't remember who won the schools championship in 1984/5/6 but fast kids were lots quicker than that. I remember being beaten by some "No way you are 18" giant rasta bouncer dude and some 9' 58" ginger scouser who I think jogged in 10.sixes. Ade Mafe made the 1984 Olympic final at 17 years old but never fulfilled that promise. A friend tells me he's the fitness coach at (I think) Spurs now.

I remember Linford Christie being amazed at Flo-Jo's 10.49. "10.49 is *hard*" he said. I met him in Manchester a few years back, always rated him, still like to think he was clean as far as he knew himself - solid progression of times and fairly consistent over the years. Dude was 36 and hammering in sub 9.9's...

I used to go out with David Grindley's ex. But that's another story.