The Studio One Story (even more Youtube goodness)

ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Haven't seen this posted before and actually just found out about this. Looks like Soul Jazz made a little documentary about Studio One. I heard something about Soul Jazz not paying artists on their releases but thats another thread. Anyways it looks pretty good to me and hearing the stories come straight from the artists makes it even better. Here is the first 3 parts, you can find the rest of them on there also.And if anyone knows of any more good reggae documentaries please tellEnjoy!

Comments

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Dope stuff!

Here??s a wee bit from one about Lee Scratch Perry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2YEA-t6lo

- J

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Dope stuff!

King Stitch (?) looks amazing!

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    There's about four hours worth of footage on that soul jazz dvd, looks a bit cheaply thrown together but the content cannot be fucked with.
    the BBC were doing a reggae doc around the same time and nobody with Studio One involvement would speak to them because Soul Jazz had it all sewn up, the result was a pretty good, very well produced reggae doc with a large Studio One shaped hole in it.

as for SJ not paying people, they seem as above board as it's possible to be in the notoriously sketchy world of jamaican reissues where contracts are generaly not worth the paper they're written on. There was that unsavoury Black Jazz business with the lynching photo tho but i think that was more a misunderstanding than anything else. But yes.... another thread for that one.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

what's the track at the beginning of this one? and where can i get it? it's insanely good.

• Brentford All-Stars "Greedy G"

It's been comped a zillion times and is likely on one of those Soul Jazz collections.

• Brentford All-Stars "Greedy G"

It's been comped a zillion times and is likely on one of those Soul Jazz collections.

And FYI the original is on Studio 1 "Better Dub" LP, there is also an early 80s 12" press and an original 7" press of it. I've had multiple pressings of the LP (they pressed it through the 80s), once had the 12", never seen the 7".

• info on the doc:

1 - its accompanied by either a double audio cd or a triple lp called "the studio one story"

2 - k*r*g*rg* has it if that's your thing.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I am waiting for the lp/dvd to turn up in my mailbox after I just paid for it this morning