How to buy a Car *help needed* (NRR)

rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
so for the past month or so i've been hunting for a new car. i've narrowed my search down to either a subaru forester or the outback legacy. I have no experience in dealing with car salespeople and actually abhorr the entire process... do any 'strutters know what to do in terms negotiating the price?im planning on paying for the car in cash outright and understand this should not come into play until the final price has been hammered out.How much can really be taken off the sticker price?also, with 2007 models coming through, clearing out the remaining '06 seems like the thing to do.should i wait til labor day? end of the month when dealerships need to meet their quotas?any help would be appreciated.-rich

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    You need to consult an independent price guide that gives you current prices for private and trade sales, model by model. You can normally shave a few hundred off, maybe more for straight cash. I'm sure they'll ask you how you intend to pay when the negotiation starts...sometimes not bad to mention it straight off - gets 'em salivating a little. When they get to a point where they won't move on price, start asking what extras they might throw in. Waiting until the end of the month can definitely help and if there's a new model imminent then hang on until after it's in the dealerships, for sure, then look for discounts on older lines.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

i was under the impression that saying youre paying cash is a 'turn off' since the dealership looks to make money off the financing anyways, so basically negotiating the price then once the final price is set, drop the hammer and tell them youre paying cash. well thanks for you help.

apparently most strutters must take transportation although i do remember a car post awhiles back.