How late to work do YOU have to be before...

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
How late to work do YOU have to be before a disciplinary action is taken?3 minutes.Please add on.

Comments

• I have no idea. I'm early every day (only because I'm scheduled to come in before everyone else).

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I'm the same (traffic related). But I still know my boundaries.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    3 minutes? That's rough, don't you live in Boston too? (DrivingOnTimeRaer) My company has an 8 minute rule, which I always felt was too lenient. If it was tightened up, a lotta people would be fired.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    worked here for almost 4 weeks, and so far ive managed to be 1 hr late one day. no action was taken towards me, but i guess it could be that theyre nice cus im new.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    We have a 7 minute over / under thing which is pretty nice. i always come in early which may have helped me during a two day alarm clock breakdown where i was very late twice in a row.

It seems like most places would give a warning and then just can you if being late was a regular thing.

On the flip, having been in charge of a staff, having late employees can really mess things up when you have a lot to get down by a specific time / deadline. But in that side of my life we give penalties like 1 minute of back rub to a manager for every minute you're late or you have to sing one song to the rest of the staff for every minute, stuff like that. Good times.

• We have a 7 minute over / under thing which is pretty nice. i always come in early which may have helped me during a two day alarm clock breakdown where i was very late twice in a row.

It seems like most places would give a warning and then just can you if being late was a regular thing.

On the flip, having been in charge of a staff, having late employees can really mess things up when you have a lot to get down by a specific time / deadline. But in that side of my life we give penalties like 1 minute of back rub to a manager for every minute you're late or you have to sing one song to the rest of the staff for every minute, stuff like that. Good times.

MMMMMMMMKay.....[/b]

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    probably like 4 hours...even then it would be "is everything OK?" not disciplinary action. if I come in late I work late, no biggie.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    We have a 7 minute over / under thing which is pretty nice. i always come in early which may have helped me during a two day alarm clock breakdown where i was very late twice in a row.

MMMMMMMMKay.....[/b]

As you might guess the latter part of my comment is non-corporate related.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    if I come in late I work late, no biggie.

seriously. a late policy sounds WACK. but i guess it depends on the job and its environment.

• We have a 7 minute over / under thing which is pretty nice. i always come in early which may have helped me during a two day alarm clock breakdown where i was very late twice in a row.

MMMMMMMMKay.....[/b]

As you might guess the latter part of my comment is non-corporate related.

I figured. It just sounded like "Hawaiian Shirt Day".

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    probably like 4 hours...even then it would be "is everything OK?" not disciplinary action. if I come in late I work late, no biggie.

Yeah mine's similar, as long as my excuse is decent and my mobile is on I don't think there's any danger of disciplinary action. Mind you they also don't give a shit if you have to work all night on something as well so it's swings and roundabouts.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I come to work when I have stuff to do and I stay until it's done.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Last year we were under severe control. They even started to send sheets to managers with every employee monthly hours. Fuck a magnetic card to enter and leave the building.
    Later we knew that some HHRR bastard had a X % of hours set as his goal to cash his anual bonus.

This year I officially decided to be 1/2 hour late every day to make up for last year's inconvenience.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Oh, talking about magnectic cards. These things work as a proximity thing, you just put your wallet close to the scanner and you are in. Well, one day after being at the office for 2 hours, I discovered I hadn't brought my company card. Turns out my supermarket discount card works too.

• probably like 4 hours...even then it would be "is everything OK?" not disciplinary action. if I come in late I work late, no biggie.

Shit, I was a half-hour late yesterday and about twenty minutes late today.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    probably like 4 hours...even then it would be " I didn't realize you weren't here[/b] ?" not disciplinary action. if I spend the day digging[/b] , I work late, no biggie.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    How late to work do YOU have to be before a disciplinary action is taken?

3 minutes.

Please add on.

I thought the question would be "...before you feel like you have to call and let them know you'll be late".

I worked for 4 years in a company where I was working 9 or 10 hours a day but was only paid to work 5 hours a day. When my boss started to complain about my late arrival in the moring I quit.

For the people who have a strict arrival time, do you also leave EXACTLY at the minute you're supposed to finish working ?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

For the people who have a strict arrival time, do you also leave EXACTLY at the minute you're supposed to finish working ?

I try to hide the desperate need to run out, so I wait like...10 additional minutes.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Oh, talking about magnectic cards. These things work as a proximity thing, you just put your wallet close to the scanner and you are in. Well, one day after being at the office for 2 hours, I discovered I hadn't brought my company card. Turns out my supermarket discount card works too.

Same thing with ATM machines - you know when you need to scan your card after hours to get in? Anything with a magnetic stripe works.

• if I come in late I work late, no biggie.

seriously. a late policy sounds WACK.

never really understood a late policy. It shouldn't be about time at work but the work put in. Unless you got some sort of customer service thing you do

• In previous jobs, if i was consistintly 5 min late action would be taken. I even got fired from one job for being 20min late too often. I suspect I got let go from this one temp job for being 1/2 hr late everyday, even though nobody ever said anything about it.

At my current job they won't take action if you are late. However, they may not promote you, either.

So for my current job, I've been consistently on time, which is hard for me. I've always been late for work/school since 3rd grade. Just couldn't get out of bed in the morning, kept hitting snooze. But I guess losing 3 jobs (and finding one I actually don't hate) did the trick.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I'm the only person in the office so it just depends if my boss calls in when I'm supposed to be there. I'm almost always on time if not early but yesterday I was 30 minutes late when I was stuck in a muni-tunnel for half an hour. My boss is cool with it so long as I call in.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Hell, with my job it's not how late you are,but rather how often before you get some verbal counseling. Verbal warnings are nothing to me...unless there is a write up along with it. Which spells TROUBLE!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Same here.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    late policy. whew.
    no such thing as a late policy in design. just meet your deadlines.

• late policy. whew.
    no such thing as a late policy in design. just meet your deadlines.

true, but deadlines can be a serious bitch.

• Not trying to talk down, this is a serious question - but how many people with late policies would consider themselves on the "professional" level versus "service" or "assistant" levels?

I have never had a late policy other than when i worked in food service and low level temp jobs. As a salaried hire usually it is the "come in late, stay late" deal. The question was never hours, just productivity.

• Not trying to talk down, this is a serious question - but how many people with late policies would consider themselves on the "professional" level versus "service" or "assistant" levels?

I have never had a late policy other than when i worked in food service and low level temp jobs. As a salaried hire usually it is the "come in late, stay late" deal. The question was never hours, just productivity.

My jobs as a Mechanical Licensing Agent and as a Portfolio Accountant were very strict on tardiness. Granted, they were entry level, but not assistant or service. If someone saw me come in 1/2 hour late they would say "Oh, so you're working executive hours now?"

As long as I could receive a call from a client, or the market was open, I had to be there.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I work when I want and I have no deadlines.

I am payed to learn.

My jobs as a Mechanical Licensing Agent and as a Portfolio Accountant were very strict on tardiness. Granted, they were entry level, but not assistant or service. If someone saw me come in 1/2 hour late they would say "Oh, so you're working executive hours now?"

As long as I could receive a call from a client, or the market was open, I had to be there.

Yeah I could see market-related business being like that.