Sarah Webster Fabio too funky for waxidermy

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
So let's talk about this here.I have special priveleges at our music library and I am able to take CDs out and bring them home for my Folkways radio show (the library here has the entire catalogue on CD).So I took out two Sarah Webster Fabio CDs: Boss Soul and JuJus/Alchemy Of Blues.Both of them are really good. Intense poetry being read over a wide variety of music. From conga drums, to heavy wah wah funk. Even some instrumentals. Tomorrow I'm going to go and pick up her two other albums from the library (Equinox and Soul Is).Anyway, I don't know much about her. Did she release any other records not on Folkways?Here, you can even sip the juice:http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/Search...ode=QuickSearch

Comments

• I've only seen the first two you mention on wax. I think they're pretty well known. "Jujus" was reissued on BGP in the mid-90s.

She used to teach in the Berkeley public schools when I was a youngster.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    It said in the liner notes she was a teacher, that's cool.

The reason why I am curious is that Folkways has been known to reissue records (for example The Montgomery Express), and these releases sound very nice. Almost too nice for a Folkways recordings if you know what I'm saying.

Anyway, really good stuff. I'll let you know what the other two albums sound like when I listen to them tomorrow.

Also, is that JuJus record really a $900 record? Or is that just the AP effect (i.e. popsike search)? I want one, but not for that price

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    is that JuJus record really a $900 record?
    not really a lot of breathing room on that one. usually $700 +

• is that JuJus record really a $900 record?

wow. back in 1995 or so my homie beni b found like a dozen sealed copies each of "jujus" and "boss soul." he milked trades off those for days, but probably not to the tune of $700+.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    What's Boss Soul go for nowadays?
    I have an almost sealed one around here somewhere.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    is that JuJus record really a $900 record?
    Yikes.

Any info on if those recordings were a reissue or not?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    sweet songs is a f**ing spoken word holy grail/masterpiece.

• anybody have any idea of a price on sarah webster fabio's 'soul is, soul ain't' album?

don't think it's had a reissue on vinyl, and can't find any info in the usual places.

ta.

• What's Boss Soul go for nowadays?
    I have an almost sealed one around here somewhere.

150-200 for a mint one?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I have an almost sealed one

it's sealed or it is not sealed. there are no "almost" virgins.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    does anyone have a mp3 of that one joint where they all state there zodiac signs and each do like a solo? I need that in my life. I had it on my ipod but that shit got stolen.