more obese people in the world than hungry

2»

Comments

• i'm making the switch from beer to vodka and soda + a slice of lemon. alcohol's put me out of shape

That's another thing too.

I have always been a skinny dude. I looked in the mirror about two months ago and had a GUT. Like, not a little pot belly - a serious, rock-hard, beer gut. I had jowls. I felt like shit.

First thing I stopped smoking, which made me feel better but which also meant I was putting even more weight on. I was no longer fitting certain pairs of pants. Shirts that I rocked last summer were looking young. It was a bad scene.

So I started jogging - right now, my legs are bad so 2-3 times a week. I aspire to 5 times a week. Soon to joint a gym once I feel I'm really in good enough shape to take full advantage for the $$.

I stopped drinking beer during the day. Anyone who's been to my shop knows it's a regular routine. I still do it occasionally but for the most part I stopped. That has helped. I stopped eating pizza and burgers every day, started mixing it up with salads, veggie sandwiches, and stuff like hummus, grape leaves, and so on.

I already feel better - the pudge is still there, but its days are numbered. As soon as I pay off my recent moving expenses I am getting a colonic to get my gastro-intestinal system back on track. Word to AP.

GeneP - everyone has bad habits dude, but as far as I can see this thread is about getting over them. I have never been into fast food but I used to eat out a lot. Now I buy groceries, and my girl cooks (I don't get home until about 9 every night - god bless her). Deaded the beer, as I said above, and most importantly started a) walking to work, b) taking the stairs (I live on the 5th floor, but have an elevator), and c) exercising. Don't shoot the messenger.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm curious, how many of you that are willing to look down your nose at the overweight have to work at staying healthy? Do you work a full-time job, make time to exercise regularly and invest time in preparing healthy meals not only at home, but healthy meals to bring to your job and stuff? And do you find yourself with enough time to pursue your hobbies/obsessions? Do you sleep? Life's a bitch sometimes. How many of you have other unhealthy habits that have persisted for years and the idea of changing them seems a tad bit easier than scaling Everest?

I'm cursed/ lucky enough to have a very high metabolism. which might seem great but it gives me health problems on a whole new level (hypoglycemic, etc). I have to make sure I eat the right amount of sugars, proteins, and carbs just so I don't lose myself during the day.

but to answer your question, yes I do take the time to work out, both doing muscle and cardio training. I buy health concious meals. I feel if I didn't I'd feel like shit, getting out of the habit of getting fast food is tough but once accomplished you find it easy to get yourself to the markets and the stove.

I keep my hobbies up (records, weed, women, etc) and I enjoy the challenge of keeping up on all levels of performance.

I'm not going to lie and say I don't slip up quite a bit, but I don't dwell and I get back on the health wagon immediately after the fall.

To hear people complain about being obese is weird to me. I know its an issue dealing with heredity and enviroment but making excuses for your own health ain't going to do much for it. If you haven't found a method to eat/be healthier keep looking. I'm not saying everyone needs to be an adonis but you should at least be aiming to live as healthy and happy a life as possible.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    more obese people in the world than hungry
    "The world now has more overweight[/b] people than hungry ones... "

A BMI less than 18.5 is underweight
    A BMI of 18.5 - 24.9 is normal weight
    A BMI of 25.0 - 29.9 is overweight[/b]
    A BMI of 30.0 - 39.9 is obese
    A BMI of 40.0 or higher is severely (or morbidly) obese

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you gotta get your exercise on in addition to eating healthy

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Here's my advice and a lot of guys laugh when I say this...

Weight Watchers

I hesitate to admit this, but why not. 16 years ago I joined Diet Center, and when I joined I thought "what the fuck? Cube steak, hot lemon water, and crackers? And this is supposed to feed me?" I thought I wouldn't make it through the first week, if not the first two days. I made it for six months and lost 50 pounds in that time.

I bought their plan, ate the way they told me to ate, and felt great. I went on vacation, and unfortunately fell out of it.

It's never too late, but it's better to start as early as possible, and don't give up. I don't drink, I don't smoke, but I have family who do and have. They have shared with me what they've gone through, and some of it is similar to what I go through. Yet I guess any of us, whatever our vice, will feel like we're alone and no one is out there to feel our pain. Yeah I know, big boo hoo.

But that's why I walk as much as I can, and push myself to do more. I make fun of myself because I can, but I work at it so I don't have to. I've done that for too long.

• Not really arguing any of the fine points being made. Obviously, lavk of laziness, strength of discipline is the key to healthiness. Big up y'allselves.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Obviously, lavk of laziness, strength of discipline is the key to healthiness. Big up y'allselves.

It's the kids I'm worried about. If your overweight by the time you hit your teens it's a problem, and it's going to be that much harder to adopt a healthy lifestyle. Children are not able to make these heathly choices, parents need to step up.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    my pops always said 'eat until half full'.

the problem is, I'm not sure when I'm half-full. I think it's pretty easy to lose ground with portion size. Eat out much? Plates are HUGE these days - enough pasta, curry, steak, etc to clog arteries by just looking.

When I first started packing a few pounds on, I re-evaluated my diet - I quit smoking, switched to diet soda, and tried cutting back on blatant sugar/crack excess, like donuts, etc...the obvious.

The next level is finding foods that are actually good for you to eat - like almonds, blueberries, fruits/veg, etc. They have antioxidants, health benefits, good calories, etc. Replace what used to be an unhealthy breakfast - like a bagel w/ egg, cheese, bacon etc with cereal, yogurt, banana, etc.

I've stopped putting on weight, but I want to lose a bit, too - I know what I need to do stay in shape, lose weight, etc...but the missing ingredient is usually motivation, time, or routine. Make your healthy habits a routine, and you're golden.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    5-8 vegetable & fruit servings per day.

Right now I just bought some raspberries, bananas, clementines, nectarines, peaches. Honestly ask yourself, how many of you actually do this? I doubt many, and there lies the answers to your problems.

If you're lazy, drink tropicana oj, or even v8. I feel messed up if I don't get enough fruits in my diet. Yes I'm looking at you br#nt.......

Also, why even bother w/ diet soda, just cut it out of your life. It's ok to have it occassionally when you're out having an old fashion burger. But you don't want that shit lying around your house, it just becomes too easy to drink that crap.

moderation folks, spoil yourself once in a while.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i ate a fatass bowl of fresh cantelope, honey dew melon, and pineapple earlier today. it was awesome

5-8 vegetable & fruit servings per day.

ask yourself, how many of you actually do this? I doubt many, and there lies the answers to your problems.

True, however there are a lot of supplements that can help. Head to the health store, or any markets you know of that may have a good health food section, be it Fred Meyer, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or GNC. If you don't know, just ask, and most of the time there are free pamphlets and/or magazines you can take home to see what you may need.

I know there are some studies which say fruits and vegetables are much better than supplements, but unless you're a diehard vegetarian or vegan, most people aren't doing to do that.

I've been taking some wheatgrass tablets that definitely helped out, and spirulina also has some healthy benefits too.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i feel what most people are saying so far in this thread...

just an observation though...

i was working at a workforce center in brooklyn a year or so ago. basically dealing with people on the lower end of the economic spectrum. anyway, i'd role to work at 8am and there may be clients already in the office looking for work and such. too many times i was shocked to see people eating cheetos and cookies and drinking coke for breakfast. but as i've toured the outer areas of brooklyn more, you find that very often the local deli's in the lower income 'hoods pack the shelves with primarily synthetic/sugary/junk food. barely and vegetables and nothing really "healthy" at all.

Also, if you role into most convenient stores/deli in BK, you see that buying a bag of cheetos or a little debbie snack is going to cost you less than a dollar, shit the little debbie things are like 25 cents.

Point is, while some may consider people lazy for not cooking, a lot of people are just looking for the the most cost effective food that doesn't require you to go too far out of the way. yes its bad, but for a lot of people i think its reality for filling their stomach.

I also think people forget that most times the really bad shit for you tastes pretty damn good. So, combine that with low costs and not a lot of options in your area, and you get a lot of people who are overwieght. not excusing people, and this isn't some lizard conspiracy i am talking about, but still...keep in mind that reality will often supercede "the most healthy" option.

and i am not seeing too many sushi bars near fulton mall.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    j$nath#n - I totally agree with you, that is why you see obesity rates climb corresponding to lower income levels. It is indeed a matter of cost/convenience for these folks. Also, grocery stores in lower income areas do not have the best produce. The choice of products are simply not comparable to an affluent area. The perpetual cycle continues w/ the "monkey see monkey do" attitude, as parents stuff themselves w/ junior's cheesecake and msg laden soul chinese food. Of course the future generation will grow up to be obese.

I'm not the world's biggest jamie oliver fan, however he released a series on channel 4 called Jamie's School Dinners. It covers his struggles in attempting to revamp the english school system's lunch program. Moving away from fried processed foods to 100% natural ingredients. Very interesting watch.

Now back to the topic at hand. I was mainly addressing my points to folks on this very board. I don't think most of these folks are struggling to "get by" by any means. It's simply a matter of choice and convenience, cost is rarely a factor. Old habits die hard, and I don't expect a miracle. However, dudes looking for quick fixes will always rebound to their original weight. The key is to plan a routine that is sensible and enjoyable that lasts an entire life, not a 3 month diet........

John - I understand your struggles, but if you can afford supplements, then you can surely afford real fruit. There really is no need to take pills, especially during times like these when many fruits are in season. They simply taste wonderful, I would be eating them even if they weren't "healthy".

Nevermind. My reply was a bit too heady, even for me. If any of you read that, delete it.

Now back to the topic at hand. I was mainly addressing my points to folks on this very board. I don't think most of these folks are struggling to "get by" by any means. It's simplay a matter of choice and convenience, cost is rarely a factor. Old habits die hard, and I don't expect a miracle. However, dudes looking for quick fixes will always rebound to their original weight. The key is to plan a routine that is sensible and enjoyable that lasts an entire life, not a 3 month diet.

John - I understand your struggles, but if you can afford supplements, then you can surely afford real fruit. There really is no need to take pills, especially during times like these when many fruits are in season. They simply taste wonderful, I would be eating them even if they weren't "healthy".

Very true. A few years ago I would say "easier said than done" but as someone who has tried it a few times, it's easy when it is done. It's making it into a routine. I never thought making exercise into a routine would be a part of my life.

I just want better for myself, and I am trying to find a routine that I can get into, one that works.