more obese people in the world than hungry

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.7days.ae/2006/08/15/fat-the-new-thin.html Recent story that I thought may be of interest to soulstrutters. Y'all may want to think about this while going through that McDonalds drive thruFat, the new thin [/b]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Published on: Tuesday, 15th August, 2006 The world now has more overweight people than hungry ones, a conference of international experts heard in Australia yesterday. The transition from a starving world to an obese one has happened with dramatic speed, US professor Barry Popkin told the International Association of Agricultural Economists. "The reality is that globally far more obesity than undernutrition exists," Popkin said, adding that while hunger was slowly declining, obesity was rapidly spreading. There are about 1.4 billion overweight people in the world and 800 million who are undernourished, he said. "Obesity is the norm globally and undernutrition, while still important in a few countries and in targeted populations in many others, is no longer the dominant disease." The "burden of obesity", with its nutrition-related diseases, was also shifting from the rich to the poor, not only in urban but in rural areas around the world[/b], he said. China typified the changes, with a major shift in diet from cereals to animal products and vegetable oils accompanied by a decline in physical work, more motorised transport and more television viewing. But all countries had failed to address the obesity "boom", the University of North Carolina professor told the association???s annual conference at the Gold Coast convention centre near the eastern city of Brisbane. He suggested that food prices could be used to control people???s diets. "A central issue affecting the world???s public health is the need to shift the relative prices of a range of foods to encourage healthier, less energy-dense and more nutrient-dense foods," he said. But Popkin acknowledged that the effects of such policies needed to be carefully studied, along with other economic options for changing eating habits. However, a separate study yesterday highlighted the misery faced by those of the 800 milion who do live under conditions of chronic hunger.More than one-third of India???s billion-plus population went hungry at least once last year, but contrary to popular belief most Indians eat meat, according to a survey published yesterday. The survey of around 14,000 respondents across the country carried out by the Hindu newspaper and the CNN-IBN television network, said 35 per cent of Indians went hungry at least once last year while eight per cent said someone in their family went hungry often. Despite a booming economy growing at around 8.0 percent, nearly one-third of the country???s 1.1 billion population lives on less than a dollar a day. "The survey is a reminder that hunger is not related only to natural calamities or famine. It is a living everyday reality in our country," said the Hindu. Nearly half the respondents, however, said their families were eating better compared to ten years ago. A similar proportion said consumption of nutritional items such as milk, pulses, and cereals had gone up. The survey about the food habits of Indians demolished a popular belief that a majority of people are vegetarian: 60 per cent of the population eat meat. Only 21 per cent of families said not a single member in the household consumed eggs or meat. Food preferences varied greatly according to religion, region and gender: non-Hindus, people living in coastal regions, and men showed greater preference for non-vegetarian food.

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Shocking/sad news if it is indeed true. Not sure I agree with this statement "A central issue affecting the world???s public health is the need to shift the relative prices of a range of foods to encourage healthier, less energy-dense and more nutrient-dense foods" Isn't healthy fod cheap? Not as convenient sure. People are just lazy plain and simple, I eat healthy and I have limited funds, you can spend $5 on McDonalds or $5 on Sushi you're call.

I think physical education and exercise for youth is the really problem, not to mention lazy parents that feed their children garbage and set them in front of the TV.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

i'd blap

i'd blap

Blap the mugwumps

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    That picture just made me loose my appetite.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think physical education and exercise for youth is the really problem, not to mention lazy parents that feed their children garbage and set them in front of the TV.

Lack of PE for youth is defintly part of the problem, but these kids grow into large men and women. At what age do you stop looking at mommy and daddy for health tips?

As for choosing between $5 of McDonalds & $5 for sushi. you'll find far more McDonalds in your town than sushi most likely and that $5 will probably go farther at Mickey D's.

however its the convienence(sp) of mcdonalds that is some of the problem. Looking to stuff your face as easily as possible is practiced far too much by far too many.

• That picture just made me loose my appetite.

are you, by any chance, 29 years old?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    That picture just made me loose my appetite.

are you, by any chance, 29 years old?

28, dogg. His b-day's in December. But he spells at a second grade level.

• Dude I am trying to make dinner here.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Lack of PE for youth is defintly part of the problem, but these kids grow into large men and women. At what age do you stop looking at mommy and daddy for health tips?

As for choosing between $5 of McDonalds & $5 for sushi. you'll find far more McDonalds in your town than sushi most likely and that $5 will probably go farther at Mickey D's.

however its the convienence(sp) of mcdonalds that is some of the problem. Looking to stuff your face as easily as possible is practiced far too much by far too many.

I am by no means thin, but I eat pretty healthy. Good/Healthy food is cheaper. You can buy a large bag of fresh spinach and 4 skinned, deboned chicken breasts, a loaf of whole grain bread and some fruit for about $10-$12....and get four dinners, and a few toast/fruit breakfasts out of it...real food is A LOT cheaper than fast food. It comes down to laziness, plain and simple.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Shocking/sad news if it is indeed true. Not sure I agree with this statement "A central issue affecting the world???s public health is the need to shift the relative prices of a range of foods to encourage healthier, less energy-dense and more nutrient-dense foods" Isn't healthy fod cheap? Not as convenient sure. People are just lazy plain and simple, I eat healthy and I have limited funds, you can spend $5 on McDonalds or $5 on Sushi you're call.

You can get a full meal at McD's for $5. A full meal at a sushi place will cost you anywhere between $25 and $40.

It's a combination of so many things. Preservatives in food, poor eating habits, sitting on your ass 8 hours a day at work, lack of exercise, lack of time/knowledge preparing your own meals and Americas tendency to stay at home more often as society becomes more anti-social, etc.

Two things need to be introduced into general education. A class that teaches you how to manage money and credit and a class that teaches you how to cook healthy and fulfilling meals.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I am by no means thin, but I eat pretty healthy. Good/Healthy food is cheaper. You can buy a large bag of fresh spinach and 4 skinned, deboned chicken breasts, a loaf of whole grain bread and some fruit for about $10-$12....and get four dinners, and a few toast/fruit breakfasts out of it...real food is A LOT cheaper than fast food. It comes down to laziness, plain and simple.

I think that's it's actually a combination of laziness, ignorance, and (in the case of our country) good old American excess.

And you would be surprised, but in many parts of the country it's terribly HARD and EXPENSIVE to eat healthy.

We've also become so accustomed to everything being so "on the go" all the time that it has started to catch up with us. Trust me - I know, being someone who is not only always "on the go" but as someone who has deals with weight issues.

Two things need to be introduced into general education. A class that teaches you how to manage money and credit and a class that teaches you how to cook healthy and fulfilling meals.

There we go.

I've been struggling with my weight for all of my life, a part of that has to do with being stubborn, ignorant, and just not willing to make a change. However, when change does happen you want to take advantage of it.

It is a struggle, and it has a lot to do with discipline. Either you have it or you don't, and when you don't you have to make a real attempt to make change. It has taken me years to want to change, having to step out of myself and face the reality of not only wanting to be healthy, but needing to be healthier. I've done quite well in the last year and I feel good about that, but I wish I could see better results, which is more about seeing "faster results". If I had more support I think I might be better off, but even with support it still boils down to what we want. It's having to face yourself everyday and finally realizing that fat fuck in the mirror needs to wise up for a change.

When the options for better are there, the world opens up. When the means to actually have those options are obtained, the world seems a bit better.

We've also become so accustomed to everything being so "on the go" all the time that it has started to catch up with us. Trust me - I know, being someone who is not only always "on the go" but as someone who has deals with weight issues.

I've always had a battle with weight. At my highest I was 232 lbs (about 33% bodyfat I think) and then I got serious and in about a year dropped to 163 (14% bodyfat). Now I'm at about 185 and need to shed some weight again. It's hard though as you simply can't eat out when dieting unless you want to eat at Subway every single day (which I almost did for months on end). Cooking your meals at home and taking them to work consumes a look of my rather limited time. Being that I don't get home until around 7PM and usually I'm in bed by 11. I don't want to waste that time shopping for food and cooking. Right now I need to gear up, start jogging/walking more and start brown bagging lunch.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    8+ hour work days have made fast food a very appealing thing in America.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    First of all...

Abso-fucking-lutely. This is CRUCIAL. CRUCIAL.[/b] But we will never have this on a mass scale.

As for your battle with weight, first thing YOU need to do is stop drinking that dark beer and switch to something light.

Sike on the real though, it is a really hard road. We cook food every night for dinner, save maybe once every 2 weeks or so. I've stopped driving when I don't really have to. Every little thing counts. And now that I've stopped smoking the prospect of me putting on a lot of weight has been countered by me staying conscious of "every little thing."

• Woe unto the overweight and those that smoke in this country. Reduced to second-class citizens.

Some people have all the bad traits listed above and remain mystifyingly thin or at least not obese. There are factors not mentioned such as heredity and in many cases, physiology.

I'm curious, how many of you that are willing to look down your nose at the overweight have to work at staying healthy? Do you work a full-time job, make time to exercise regularly and invest time in preparing healthy meals not only at home, but healthy meals to bring to your job and stuff? And do you find yourself with enough time to pursue your hobbies/obsessions? Do you sleep? Life's a bitch sometimes. How many of you have other unhealthy habits that have persisted for years and the idea of changing them seems a tad bit easier than scaling Everest?

I just need to pick up a nasty coke habit for about six months and I should be straight. Or just say fuck it and take the cheap route w/ crystal meth.

I've been struggling with my weight for all of my life, a part of that has to do with being stubborn, ignorant, and just not willing to make a change. However, when change does happen you want to take advantage of it.

Here's my advice and a lot of guys laugh when I say this...

Weight Watchers

That shit changed my life. When I decided I needed to lose weight and get serious about it I was busting my ass hitting up the gym twice a day, trying to eat better, but only lost 10 pounds over the course of a few months. A friend recommended WW and I immediately started losing 2 or 3 pounds a week and I didn't have to exercise as much.

The best thing about WW is that it teaches you what to eat and how to cook. What foods to avoid and, most importantly, what portions you should eat.

I've been on it for like two years now. Costs me about $20 a month for their online program and I'll probably subscribe to it for the rest of my life. With my job of sitting on my ass for 8 hours a day it's a struggle. I just follow the online program. Helps me track my food and I have never attended any WW meetings.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    You can get a full meal at McD's for $5. A full meal at a sushi place will cost you anywhere between $25 and $40.

That's strange I could have sworn I paid $5 for my lunch. This is part of the problem, people don't take that little bit of extra effort to find cheap healthy food. LAZY.

"A full meal", also seems to change all the time. Servings just get bigger and BIGGER over the years and people over eat. Just because it's in front of you doesn't mean you have to eat all of it, take it home or give some to a homeless dude or something.

That's strange I could have sworn I paid $5 for my lunch. This is part of the problem, people don't take that little bit of extra effort to find cheap healthy food. LAZY.

"A full meal", also seems to change all the time. Servings just get bigger and BIGGER over the years and people over eat. Just because it's in front of you doesn't mean you have to eat all of it, take it home or give some to a homeless dude or something.

Where do you eat? I'm a Sushi friend and even a small meal at a local 1/2 Price sushi joint costs me at least $20. Hell, even Safeway sushi packs are $10 minimum.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    If you want to drop pounds quick just do a no-carb, no-sugar diet. For reals, I did it for 3 weeks and lost 15 pounds and I'm not even over-weight.

Sugar is the worst!

As for your battle with weight, first thing YOU need to do is stop drinking that dark beer and switch to something light.

This used to be my beer of choice.

Pretty subpar tasting beer but it only had 95 calories a bottle which is pretty low. When I hit 190 lbs I switched back to my Newcastles.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Where do you eat? I'm a Sushi friend and even a small meal at a local 1/2 Price sushi joint costs me at least $20. Hell, even Safeway sushi packs are $10 minimum.

I hit up a place called spin-roll. Spicy Tuna Don (Tuna Sashimi on rice w/ Miso soup) is my regular choice. You can get a Cali-roll and 4 piece Sashimi for $6-$7 too. Sushi can get mad expensive though that's why I keep it simple.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

This used to be my beer of choice.

Pretty subpar tasting beer but it only had 95 calories a bottle which is pretty low. When I hit 190 lbs I switched back to my Newcastles.

if you are making a beer change...this is the only low calorie beer that doesnt suck assballs IMO:

I cant stand light beer, but I can hang with that stuff

I havent tried Beck's Light yet, but this chick told me it was super weak and water-like.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you are what you eat.....

if you put control of that into other people's hands, you will be fat. Learn to cook, make the time. It is that important, because after all you only have one body.

Set up a meal plan, write it on a board or something. Pick a day you have time off and designate it as a shopping day. It's just a habit you develop, and gets quite easy once you're in the routine. Obviously the first step is always the hardest.

If you have time to post on soulstrut, you have time to go grocery shopping. Simply put.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    If you have time to post on soulstrut, you have time to go grocery shopping. Simple put.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    If you have time to post on soulstrut, you have time to go grocery shopping. Simple put.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i'm making the switch from beer to vodka and soda + a slice of lemon. alcohol's put me out of shape

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    i'm making the switch from beer to vodka and soda water + a slice of lemon. alcohol's put me out of shape

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    parents who don't want to slow down for their young kids is another problem imo. all these kids in strollers and wagons and yuppie three wheelers drives me nuts...it creates bad and lazy habits in the kids to be pushed around everywhere.
    why are there four, five and six year olds in strollers? if your kid's knuckles are dragging on the sidewalk and her/his knees are grazing her/his chin, that's a good sign they should be WALKING.