Design Heads - Indesign Vs Quark

2»

Comments

• It's proven most beneficial when working on the design / layout of lengthy but priority in-process documentation.

Yeah, it sounds like it'll be perfect for my job (translating/writing/proofing a 110-page catalog, among other things).

It's just a pain that HQ will have to upload all 110 pages of the catalog to our slow FTP--think of all those images as separate files and you have huuuuuge uploads--then I'll have to DL it all, do my work, reupload it, and then wait for round 2 and do it all over again.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I certainly would never use Illustrator for any type layout. It is a vector program and that's all.

Quark is on it's way out, and if you design something using it, you'll have problems updating the design later when it becomes obsolete. I designed a price guide in 2000 using quark and they brought me on to do the update. I had to transfer the file to indesign and it threw off a lot of style sheets, kerning and leading adjustments. it took a long time to correct, but was worth it in the long haul. I convinced the client that my billing of that extra time would benefit them in the future.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i do miss that little alien animation trick that you could do with quark.