Diddy has lost his mind.

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    "he doesn't even RAP in it!!!"

This would actually be a positive thing for me. My biggest complaint with most of his stuff is that he does rap in it.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i can't stand more than 30 secs of this song..

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    sampling miles davis = 1991

some artists/bands are just to well known to be sampling... the beatles is one of them, miles davis is another. people who don't even listen to jazz will drop the name miles davis before anything else... of course this kind of mediocrity does not surprise me coming from diddy of all people (the one guy out there who cannot be bothered to even make a sample sound different from the original source).

this hardly even sounds like a song though... sounds like a live radio appearance on which diddy couldn't even bust a freestyle so just kept yelling a "chorus" (if we can even call it that) throughout the entire song... yeah, it's not as awful as the rest of his catalog, but it's still rather halfass.

Hmmm, I'm not seeing the "too obvious sample source" argument. I mean, Dilla flips some Jackson 5 and everybody creams themselves, but Diddy puts "Spanish Key" too good use and it's played out? I don't care if the sample is not ??ber-raer, if it works it works, and I think it does work in this case. That Miles loopage is dope and I haven't really heard anyone else use it before, even though it's from a well-known and classic LP.

It's a novelty song and I would probably get tired of it after hearing it a zillion times, but I like this subgenre of rap songs. "Let Me Clear My Throat" wasn't anything but a dude doing a call'n'response routine over "The 900 Number" as well, but it's just fun stuff to play out. Not mad at it at all.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

Hmmm, I'm not seeing the "too obvious sample source" argument. I mean, Dilla flips some Jackson 5 and everybody creams themselves, but Diddy puts "Spanish Key" too good use and it's played out? I don't care if the sample is not ??ber-raer, if it works it works, and I think it does work in this case. That Miles loopage is dope and I haven't really heard anyone else use it before, even though it's from a well-known and classic LP.

It's a novelty song and I would probably get tired of it after hearing it a zillion times, but I like this subgenre of rap songs. "Let Me Clear My Throat" wasn't anything but a dude doing a call'n'response routine over "The 900 Number" as well, but it's just fun stuff to play out. Not mad at it at all.

Co-sign! Seriously, who cares about the sample source. If sampling from that lp isn't allowed, should we dismiss Biggie's Suicidal Thoughts as well then? I'm feeling this shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    he's claiming harlem? isn't he from westchester?

as much as i hate bass clarinet, that track is hot as fuck. and i'm definitely feeling puff not rapping.

He's from Mt. Vernon, but he's always tried to claim Harlem as his ancestral home or something. I think he was born there, but his mother only stayed for a year or two after that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

as much as i hate bass clarinet, that track is hot as fuck. and i'm definitely feeling puff not rapping.

He's from Mt. Vernon, but he's always tried to claim Harlem as his ancestral home or something. I think he was born there, but his mother only stayed for a year or two after that.

Further to Ayres' post up there about how Diddy only claims Harlem when it's hot, there was a BBC documentary on him a few years ago, made by Trevor Nelson (a leading r&b club/radio DJ and broadcaster over here). At one point, Diddy's driving Nelson round Harlem in his Bentley one evening, saying shit like "this is my hood" or "we hung out on that corner back in the day". Next day, Nelson goes back to the same block with just his camera crew, and everyone's like "Fuck that n***a - he ain't done shit for Harlem except shout it out on his records" or "If he loves Harlem, why doesn't he use some of his money to do something for it, like open a school or community centre?"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    other than harlem what does this song have to do with chicken noodle soup?

it's a mess but i've listened to it like five times in a row. what does that say?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Further to Ayres' post up there about how Diddy only claims Harlem when it's hot, there was a BBC documentary on him a few years ago, made by Trevor Nelson (a leading r&b club/radio DJ and broadcaster over here). At one point, Diddy's driving Nelson round Harlem in his Bentley one evening, saying shit like "this is my hood" or "we hung out on that corner back in the day". Next day, Nelson goes back to the same block with just his camera crew, and everyone's like "Fuck that n***a - he ain't done shit for Harlem except shout it out on his records" or "If he loves Harlem, why doesn't he use some of his money to do something for it, like open a school or community centre?"

I don't think it has much to do with whether or not Harlem is currently hot--it's just that Harlem is the area that he has a peripheral connection to and he claims it pretty consistently. It's not like he reps Mount Vernon when Harlem isn't hot, or reaches into a geographical grab bag and pulls out othe parts of NYC to rep.

I mean, yeah, these days I guess he mostly reps Paris and Cannes and Monaco... but I don't see the Harlem thing being informed by Harlem being hot as by being informed by the fact that Puff knows he's now generally perceived as a fashion dude rather than a rap/music dude.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    To be fair, wasn't his stable of rappers (Notorious nonwithstanding) largely from Harlem?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    To be fair, wasn't his stable of rappers (Notorious nonwithstanding) largely from Harlem?
    g-dep, mase, harlem world (binky,loon,female mase..)who am i foregetting? does being born in a area mean your 'from' there?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    This song is great. It makes me want to shit my pants. It makes me want jizz on white girls who call themselves "Ni@@"a. My dick is twitching like it has cerebral palsy. That's what rap music is about. Chicken Noodle Soup is too raffin?? for my tastes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This song is great. It makes me want to shit my pants. It makes me want jizz on white girls who call themselves "Ni@@"a. My dick is twitching like it has cerebral palsy. That's what rap music is about. Chicken Noodle Soup is too raffin?? for my tastes.

But does it make you want to wear a Bape outfit while calling for the destruction of Israel? That's the true litmus test here I think.

But does it make you want to wear a Bape outfit while calling for the destruction of Israel? That's the true litmus test here I think.

I'd make stinky man love with Sheikh Nasrallah, if he'd have me.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I love this song.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who's Diddy?

• Hmmm, I'm not seeing the "too obvious sample source" argument. I mean, Dilla flips some Jackson 5 and everybody creams themselves[/b], but Diddy puts "Spanish Key" too good use and it's played out? I don't care if the sample is not ??ber-raer, if it works it works, and I think it does work in this case. That Miles loopage is dope and I haven't really heard anyone else use it before, even though it's from a well-known and classic LP.

i guess the key word here would the fact the dilla FLIPS the sample... actually does something with it... and doesn't drag it out for the entire song... dilla will just use an obvious sample for a few seconds, chop it up, n move on to some unheard of sample in the same track... i dunno, i'm not getting all worked up over this or anything... but i just don't see this track as being worthy of praise, that's all. just goes to show the state of most hiphop these days... the fact that this would stand out as "good". yeah i am getting overanalytical, but i just feel that diddy never puts any effort into his shit... and the fact that people then go buy it up just makes matters worse. anyways, sounds like i'm beginning to hate on diddy on some ODB shit, so i'll just call it quits for now...

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I like this record, it's gritty, someone is gonna go crazy with it, I can sense it... Remix with a lost ODB verse, extra bongobeats and OG JB scats or something...

If only...

Is the whole album this hot?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I like this record, it's gritty, someone is gonna go crazy with it, I can sense it... Remix with a lost ODB verse, extra bongobeats and OG JB scats or something...

now we're talking.. p.ro, hook it up!!

• ODB would be rolling in his grave...

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    been rockin doubles of this on serato for a minute

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I do think the beat is hot; but this would have been a much better track if anyone else but Diddy was voxing on it.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Are hipster white girls allowed on the dancefloor during this song?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    that was a song? umm....okay guys.

it is kinda original i guesss. Better than him coming with some total cookie cutter shit.

state of things must be pretty bad when REAL HEADS are praying for puffy to come back and shake shit up. SMH.

that chicken noodle shit still gets no burn on the westside though. I think NYC will have to wait a bit longer for that new renaisance they've been planning.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    That song is awful, not because the sample source is obvious, not because I dislike Puffy on the mic or am bothered by his claims to geographic locations, not because he didn't flip it into anything new like dilla would have, and not because I prefer Chicken Noodle Soup, simply enough the only reason I don't like it is because it sounds like shit.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    his mom said: "get up, nigga" to him?

so who's diddy's (typing that name is disgusting) ghost producer?

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    not really feeling this, but it's def better than lots of other new releases.

i don't know anything about that chicken noodle song can anyone school me on this one?