KASHMERE STAGE BAND ON NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO

StonesThrowStonesThrow 22 Posts
edited August 2006 in Announcements
We are quite honored to announce that National Public Radio???s[/b] ???All Things Considered??? ran a nationally syndicated story today on our recent Kashmere Stage Band[/b] resissue. Check out the below link to listen to Egon[/b] and Kashmere Stage Band[/b] director Conrad O. Johnson[/b] (now 92 yrs old) talk with David Brown from NPR affiliate station KUT in Austin, Texas about funk, jazz and DJ Shadow: NPR KSB KASHMERE STAGE BAND: Texas Thunder Soul 1968-1974 (2CD+DVD/2LP)"After almost 30 years in limbo, the recordings of Houston???s Kashmere High School Stage Band have become treasured among hip-hop collectors and dj???s."NPR[/b]"The Kashmere groove is incredible -- blasting horns, scratchy guitars, and funky drums -- all wrapped super-tight around a range of original material and some more familiar numbers -- all recast here in super-heavy funk mode!"DUSTYGROOVE.COM[/b] The best high school band of all time! Two heavy discs of '60s and '70s funk, containing rare studio recordings and unreleased live cuts from Houston's Kashmere High School Stage Band ??? directed by Conrad O. Johnson. Features monster drum breaks, as heard on The Funky 16 Corners and Cold Heat compilations, including songs sampled by DJ Shadow, J.Rocc, Koushik and more. Bonus documentary by B+ on Enhanced CD. 40-page booklet includes extensive liner notes and never-before-seen photos.

Comments

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    Cool stuff. I'm way behind on the Stones Throw releases but this is dope.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

dude i circled was my room mates brother. i remember him telling me about his brothers band from his high school days. he showed me the album and gave it to me. i never listened to it for years. it sat right by the door in a crate untill i moved i think. this is when i used to see these records all over houston. i also remember meeting conrad by accident. i used to to mess around with his crazy niece i met somewhere. i locked my keyes in my truck and couldnt get with anybody. so she said we could go to her grandfathers house and use the phone. we walked a long way to the house in 3rd ward and walk in. i pay no mind and walk further in where i finally see him sitting by the piano writing music. i say hello and he says hello and thats about it. realize this is a time when i had no idea who he was. we use the phone get picked up and go home. its crazy how these records are worth so much and kick myself for all the times i passed on these for a dollar.

djstyles

• montymonty 420 Posts