LEGAL REISSUES: An experience request

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
A hypothetical to those Strutters who may have experience in this area,THE SCENARIO:[/b]Let's say you were shown some deadly interesting recordings from a semi-obscure artist (still living and working, thankfully) that were originally released by a company (still in business) on an outdated media, as in, not a record. Let's also say these recordings, while widely interesting, were not widely distributed. Here you sit, on a goldmine of sorts, wanting to share your riches with the rest of the world interested few.THE PLAN/DREAM:[/b]Let's say you were in the position to feel challenged by the artist's work. That is, you felt driven to get this into the century at hand. A proper CD reissue, with liner notes, re-didified artwork, interviews, etc., with the release acting as a benefit to the cause of the artist's choice, or to his personal benefit, whichever he decides.THE LEGALITIES:[/b]Let's assume I am the one interested in doing this. So, assume this is where I am at a loss. My question: What exactly is involved in doing this "right"? Certainly some lawyering would be involved, since the work was already published/copywritten by the still-in-business "label," right? I would assume that the "label" isn't interested in such a project, seeing as they are still around and haven't done it themselves. The approach one should take, then, is that of a well researched, well prepared, interested party with all the facts. Help me be that guy, please?Obviously, I don't reissue rare recordings for a living, nor am I the guy who goes around the world finding lost legends and giving them the shine they deserve. With respect for those that do such work, I don't want to soil their profession by acting reckless, but I'd like to keep my dealings with Mr.Suit to a minimum.To be clear, I have no interest in reaping the financial rewards from this prospect. Profit is necessary for business, but it is not the reason for business, just as breathing is neccesary for life, but not the reason we should live.If PMs are more appropriate, please, be my guest.Thank you,!B

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    is it possible that you approach a well established reissue label and see if they are interested in making this happen? or is it something you want to do on your own?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Bambouche,

This is pretty common sense, but I'll say it for the sake of discussion and thread bump:

It really depends on who owns the Rights. If the artist owns the Rights then it will be easy to work out a contract as it seems in your case that this person is on board with what you want to do.

If the label owns the Rights then it's going to be more difficult. Especially since they're probably going to want a peiece of the pie.

There are people on this board who reissue for a living (*cough* rockadelic *cough*) so they might be good to contact.

I'm speaking from the little experience I have merely discussing with the women from Mechanical Servants. I/waxidermy is lucky in that she owns the Rights as the record was a private release.

• Hit me up on the PM... I'll answer your questions...