new dance music?

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
thanks to serato, i have been branching off into wild directions as far as musical selections go. i really liked that LCD record, so i have been checking other stuff on DFA, as well as a bunch of DFA remixes. i also have been digging MSTRKRFT remixes, and their album. that Uffie shit is pretty crazy, but heads don't seem to be ready for that in $mond, VA. Justice makes some really crazy shit, but it is a little too hard for my tastes. Angie Reed has a couple of songs I have been digging, as well as !!!. and i like tussle, thats shits real spacey and dubbed out. pretty cool. are SF heads diggin them? i liked that alan braxe bossy remix on the house tip...whats some other shit that i should know about?

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Alan Braxe is the shit, check his classic banger "Runnin" (Intro) and the Rubicon EP (highly recommended!). His basslines are always SO on point.

Also check out some of the Kitsune compilations (I like the older ones best).

Dondolo - "Dragon" (on Tiny Sticks label)

Anything by Kerri Chandler seems to be killing it right now (we can't keep them in stock) "Bar a Thym" is one of my favs.

Kerrier District EP's (Luke Vibert does electro-boogie)

Chicken Lips - "Echoman" LP (a few years old but pure dubbed out heat! not really feelin' there new one though)

Metro Area - "Metro Area" LP (one of my favs from the last 5 years, they have a new one in the works too)

Kelley Polar Quartet - "Audition" and "Recital" EP's (the new album is also amazing, although it's very different from these 2 EP's)

...I'll try and think of some more.

• Not quite the same vibe as DFA but if you might wanna check out some Bugz In The Attic

look for "Booty La La" & the Macy Grey remix "When I See You"

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    yeah, i have been diggin that metro area vibe for sure.
    thanks for the other suggestions.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    thanks to serato, i have been branching off into wild directions as far as musical selections go. i really liked that LCD record, so i have been checking other stuff on DFA, as well as a bunch of DFA remixes. i also have been digging MSTRKRFT remixes, and their album. that Uffie shit is pretty crazy, but heads don't seem to be ready for that in $mond, VA. Justice makes some really crazy shit, but it is a little too hard for my tastes. Angie Reed has a couple of songs I have been digging, as well as !!!. and i like tussle, thats shits real spacey and dubbed out. pretty cool. are SF heads diggin them? i liked that alan braxe bossy remix on the house tip...

whats some other shit that i should know about?
    Oy vay hipster dance overload.
    DFA have a few pretty great songs, the holiday mix they made was awesome. MSTRKRFT are kinda overrated to me, Uffie is terrible and about as much 'dance' as she is 'rap.' !!! are like Red Hot Chili Peppers in tighter jeans with fewer good songs. Braxe is dope.

Get Physical is an amazing label. Kompakt is still doing pretty good considering. Some of my favorite mixes from the past 5 years or so...

Michael Mayer's Immer
    DJ Naughty's One Night in Berlin
    Mei Lwun's Uno Records Vol 1
    Get Physical's 2nd Anniversary Mix

Plus artist albums but Luomo, MRI, etc.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Get Physical

Yes! I should have mentioned them.

Other great labels...

Deep Freeze
    Bear Funk
    Winding Road

I didn't mention Spirit Catcher (very dope producer!)

We just got this Zero 7 12" that has a really dope discoish track on it called "You're My Flame" (Justus Kohncke Disko Dub)

• - anything on dubsided
    - switch / dave taylor remixes

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    - anything on dubsided
    - switch / dave taylor remixes

Hottest label right now, we can't keep them shits in stock! Not really my cup of tea but they're killin' shit right now.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dubstep.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Dubstep/Garage/Grime/2-Step

Why do they rename this music every year?

• !!! are like Red Hot Chili Peppers in tighter jeans with fewer good songs.

dude i am no great fan but you're way off the mark there

i really get the feeling that across the board, you don't listen to the things you champion / dismiss

you remind me of that kid in school who won't stop raising his hand even if he doesn't know the answer

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dubstep/Garage/Grime/2-Step

Why do they rename this music every year?

Because it's not really the same thing?

It's foundation is shared but really isn't the same thing.

Kinda like how tech-step wasn't jungle.

Or to me at least.

Less talk about genre-defining, more talk about good music.

• metro area

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    metro area

Anybody have an mp3 of "Art Of Hot", I got the promo 2LP of the album and it's not on there

Slick track.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    already some great shit mentioned

ill add on:

Deepfreeze in the Uk great label with dope releases by Boogie Corporation, Silver City etc.. i've got a 12" dropping on there soonish

Bear Funk / Bear Entertainment - again top drawer UK label.. I've got a 12" in the pipeline for them

Rong - esp the prins thomas reedits ep and the Barfly shit.. soooo dope

Triangle Orchestra

Outergaze - great label from japan.. just dropped an INSANE lindstrom double 12"

Full Pupp - norwegian bear offshoot... tod terje / prins thomas and lindstrom. .you cannot go wrong!

Feedelity - lindstrom and prins label.. bonkers cosmic shit

Truffle - my boy Steve Yankos label.. he put out the 12" that is my avatar

which reminds me you should peep Munk / Gomma / Who Made Who as well.

peep the disco / balaeric pages on piccadilly records for all the latest steeze

i too want to hate on MSTRKRFT but that's probably more due to the fact that they're from toronto and ive never seen so much hype for guys with only 3 tracks under their belt.. havent peeped the record yet.

i agree !!! might be hipster approved but both them and Outhud are doing some good shit.

yo S!MON - i got a new job but the messenger is down for some reason / hopefuly ill get it fixed and we can chat soon.

• slushslush 691 Posts

- switch

cosiiign. That apache remix is my favourite thing in the club currently. people bug out

france is really doign it right now, with Para One, Feadz, oizo, Justice, boyznoize, kavinsky, Grand Marnier, tacteel, etc. its probably one of the more refreshing music scenes going on

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    france is really doign it right now, with Para One, Feadz, oizo, Justice, boyznoize, kavinsky, Grand Marnier, tacteel, etc. its probably one of the more refreshing music scenes going on

France has always been

Kavinsky's myspace is bonkers!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i agree !!! might be hipster approved but both them and Outhud are doing some good shit.

Yes. Forget the hype machine and just dig the music. The same can be said for Spank Rock.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    !!! are like Red Hot Chili Peppers in tighter jeans with fewer good songs.

dude i am no great fan but you're way off the mark there

i really get the feeling that across the board, you don't listen to the things you champion / dismiss

you remind me of that kid in school who won't stop raising his hand even if he doesn't know the answer
    As entertained as I am by the novelty of a white funk band (ok well obv they don't sound objectively like RHCP but they're about as funky) (and they really don't have many good songs) (seriously this shit sucks) I really really don't like these guys.

Frankly I'm convinced you don't listen to the things you champion/dismiss, you just read them off pitchfork's RECOMMENDED! section. (I dont actually know what you like i'm just being a wiseass re:!!!)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lol@ 'forget the hype,' if there was no hype none of us would have heard of them and they would have wallowed in deserved obscurity.

(I actually did like that Outhud album)

dood !!! are not white funk...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You prefer "punk-funk" or "punk disco" or whatever indie-affected live dance bands with terrible vocalists and lyricists are called?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    dood !!! are not white funk...

Anywhere I can listen to this band (pretty hard to search for on google!).

Dubious check your PM's.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    google chk chk chk

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    oizo

That last Mr. Oizo elpee was the shit (and the first one too). A lot of people fronted on it because it's all over the place, but I love it. You'd definitely needs a very openminded dancefloor to play that stuff. Same goes for Jackson & His Computer Band on Warp. More frenchie madman music. I've got one of his old 12" on SOB and an insane Vanessa Paradis remix he did too. Dancemusic for the loony bin.

• WHAT IN THE EVER LOVIN BLUE EYED WORLD ARE YOU YOUNGNS TALKIN BOUT?!?

actually im pretty sure i heard of something called O.U.T.H.U.D. or at least that's what i think they were called but maybe im mixing them up with C.H.U.D. anyways, i seem to remember them being all computer boopbeepboobeeboobeerrrrrr music which was alright for the time but i was never really more interested than that. what's wrong with pussycat dolls? at least theyre hot chicks that dress like whores. i mean, wtf, does DFA do that? cuz if so show some pics.

anyways, there's this new hooker that's posted up on my block in front of the korean catholic church and she always heckles me and it makes me want to take a shower in bleach. she is large and could prolly hurt me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I don't mean to come off as a jerk btw, I actually went to see them live once and bought* the album, but to me the fact that these dudes got any sort of recognition is more about who they are, how they fit into the 'indie kids can dance' zeitgeist and the circles they run in than any sort of quality music making.

*downloaded

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I don't mean to come off as a jerk btw, I actually went to see them live once and bought* the album, but to me the fact that these dudes got any sort of recognition is more about who they are, how they fit into the 'indie kids can dance' zeitgeist and the circles they run in than any sort of quality music making.

*downloaded

Just listened to a couple of there tracks, a little too emo for me.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

*downloaded

Just listened to a couple of there tracks, a little too emo for me.

i feel that. like i originally said, they had a couple of tracks i enjoyed. some are definitley not for me, but there are a couple that have a good solid beat to em, and seem to hit on the dancefloor.

pony - i aint seein no pm's

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    pony - i aint seein no pm's

Damn it's not working

I'll try again.