Star Wars Holiday Special (youtube)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
who has seen this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_Wars_Holiday_SpecialPrincess Leia, seemingly on sleeping pills, singing lyrics to the star wars theme on Life Day

imperial officers at chewie's family's house

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I rented this around 1992 from a video store here in Toronto (Suspect Video).

When I brought it home to watch I called a good friend of mine (And major star wars fan) Diego to come over and check it out. Well, there's a part in here with a clown and Diego has a major fear of them. He got all freaked out and asked me to fast forward through that part. It was pretty funny to see dude get all freaked.

Fast forward about ten years. I went back to suspect to rent something and dude looks at me and asks. Did you ever end up bringing back the x-mas special???

Anyways... This thing was super cheese and if I remember correctly. George tried suing anyone who tried to broadcast this.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Download that shit. Lucas will be on that quick.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I wouldn't go so far as to say this thing is persona non grata over at Lucasfilm, but the few times it has been mentioned in Star Wars Insider, it has been in the context of, "Oh, man, what a terrible, terrible mistake that was."

The ill thing is that Star Wars fans are so dedicated to SW continuity and the SW universe that the holiday special can't completely go away. It introduced some characters and alien races that hadn't been seen before, and believe me, once a character is introduced in SW in any capacity--even just for a second in the background of a scene--the fans are all over it.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Princess Leia, seemingly on sleeping pills, singing lyrics to the star wars theme on Life Day

Holy living fuck!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think what makes it so crazy is the OG cast in effect -
    there's not too many things out there with that crew in character
    besides the 3 films...

...so, um, what's up with Leia all-but dry humping Chewbacca??

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I think what makes it so crazy is the OG cast in effect -
    there's not too many things out there with that crew in character
    besides the 3 films...

...so, um, what's up with Leia all-but dry humping Chewbacca??

I've read that Lucas had to tape down Carrie Fishers bosom in the films. It appears he didn't do that in this Christmas special.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• i just watched this disasterpiece and yeah, wow, absolutely amazing.
    the things that really did it for me...

- mark hammill's beautiful eye makeup
    - chewbacca's family = wookiee reproduction = whoa
    - that cooking show segment. it goes on for like 10 minutes and goes NOWHERE. like a fourth tier version of swedish chef
    - the unkle sample in the cartoon
    - all those tv ads the original bootlegger left on the tape
    - the girl who played chewbacca's son went to on play many other roles necessitating a little person, including one of the voices on the smurfs. ill.
    - why is chewbacca's family cleaning and cooking and reminiscing instead of hunting elephants, knocking down trees, and ripping arms out of sockets?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wouldn't go so far as to say this thing is persona non grata over at Lucasfilm, but the few times it has been mentioned in Star Wars Insider, it has been in the context of, "Oh, man, what a terrible, terrible mistake that was."

The ill thing is that Star Wars fans are so dedicated to SW continuity and the SW universe that the holiday special can't completely go away. It introduced some characters and alien races that hadn't been seen before, and believe me, once a character is introduced in SW in any capacity--even just for a second in the background of a scene--the fans are all over it.

First Appearence on the XMAS Special.

I remember when this came on TV. Jefferson Starship.......

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I think what makes it so crazy is the OG cast in effect

definitely. and not only that but it seems they spent $5 to make it

I remember when this came on TV. Jefferson Starship.......

what about the incredibly awkward part where chewbacca's dad is being turned on by diane carrol singing all sexy to him in some kind of virtual reality s(t)imulator?

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Doesn't Bea Arthur sing the cantina song? Ouch!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

so does this have the scrolling text at the start? if it does i bet it's hilarious.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I believe you are correct.

I watched this on TV when it came out....yes, I am almost 40.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

I believe you are correct.

she sings at the cantina. it's pretty terrible.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Princess Leia, seemingly on sleeping pills

She did have a drug problem, but at this time I would say coke and ludes.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    this was the the hot shit at all the comic book conventions back in the day.... dudes were making bank selling it...

• damn.

is there a complete one on there though?