DEAD MAC: Help please?

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I have a G5 tower with two harddrives, running OSX (10.3.something I believe?). I put her to sleep two hours ago to go fix myself a snack, came back, woke her up, and the screen was like frozen TV static, nothing moved, no mouse, no icons, just this jumbled strata of data that make my stomach hurt just a little (I was, quite literally, just about to back up 30gig worth of work I just finished, but I got hungry...).So I shut her off. Waited a minute, restarted. I got the blue screen with the mac envelope+flashing question mark.Referring to apple's site, I found this, which I believe describes my problem:http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58042Proceeding down their list: 1. I followed their suggested restarts with and without ethernet cables and keyboard/mouse connections. Nothing.2. I restarted from the Mac OSX reinstall disk (not reinstalling the OS). I got around that ugly blue screen, but, alas, Nothing. Just a spinning pinwheel and a noise from inside her like the sound of a jet.3. I tried accessing Disk Utility through the reinstall disk. Got to Disk Utility, but before I can get to the recommended "First Aid" tab, she locks on "Gather disk information." Endless minutes of the pinwheel again. She looks, and looks, but finds nothing. Nothing.4. I reset her parameter random access memory (PRAM) and nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM). Nothing.I am now at Step 4 on the above link, where they recommend I reinstall the OS in her. Above, however, they say this should be "the last step," which, again, gives me that feeling in my stomach. I am concerned for her, first, of course, yes, but also for my 30gig of work I just finished and was about to back up when I got hungry. Oh, am I full now!So, my specific question is, what exactly will reinstalling the OS do?I have two HDs, as mentioned above, the first contains all the libraries and system folder along with programs. The second drive contains all my work. The fruit. Those 30 gigs I was getting to, just after I snacked...What else can I do?What will I lose?What can be gained?

Comments

• kojackkojack 42 Posts
    Before you do a reinstall, try at least one more thing: see if you can reboot into Firewire Target Disk Mode. If you can, then you can connect your machine to another Mac using a firewire cable and back up your data.

• kojackkojack 42 Posts
    also, if you're feeling really paranoid about the work on your non-system drive, go ahead and take it out and put it in a USB or firewire case.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to have something to do with Bay-area rap.

Nothing. Just a spinning pinwheel and a noise from inside her like the sound of a jet.

This, however, is beautiful.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Reinstall OSX but make sure you set the option to preserve your data. Then only the OSX system files will get installed and you don't lose any applications or stored data.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Reinstall OSX but make sure you set the option to preserve your data. Then only the OSX system files will get installed and you don't lose any applications or stored data.

If you do lose anything go cop thats what they use at the Apple store for recovering info but charge you up the ass.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Couple options....

Use target disk mode as recommended by connecting a 2nd mac to your desktop. Hold down "T" at startup on your g5 until you see a flashing fw icon on the screen. Now you can either pull data off the drive or run disk utility from your 2nd computer. This will be faster than running disk utlity off the install/boot disc.

You can also try using a 3rd party disk utlity such as diskwarrior or drive genius. If you don't have access to any, I will be in town this weekend so I can give you a copy. Applejack is also a great option as it allows you to repair w/o the need of an external boot disc. It is accessed through single user mode, however it is uselss for you right now since you needed to install it before a problem arises. Good for future reference though.

Lastly, you said your data is on a secondary interal drive right? If so, reinstalling os x will only affect your master drive. However, doing a proper reinstall involves wiping that drive clean, so any data on it will be lost.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Bam,

Just saw a black power history LP you might want. Preachin Woman (i think) is the artist- One side is a long poem comparing white and black views of all presidents up to Nixon and second side is assorted early black power poems. Cool electric piano and bluesy sounds abound. Selling for $25. Let me know if you are interested.

• which restarts did you try?

I assume you tried safe mode.

Not sure if this is relevant but you may be able to boot from the firmware by rebooting and holding cmd-opt-o-f then it will bring you to a prompt. then type: mac-boot and hit enter. If that doesnt work I think there is a way, assuming you have another mac and a firewire, to back up your harddrive from the firmware prompt. good luck!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Couple options....

Use target disk mode as recommended by connecting a 2nd mac to your desktop. Hold down "T" at startup on your g5 until you see a flashing fw icon on the screen. Now you can either pull data off the drive or run disk utility from your 2nd computer. This will be faster than running disk utlity off the install/boot disc.

You can also try using a 3rd party disk utlity such as diskwarrior or drive genius. If you don't have access to any, I will be in town this weekend so I can give you a copy. Applejack is also a great option as it allows you to repair w/o the need of an external boot disc. It is accessed through single user mode, however it is uselss for you right now since you needed to install it before a problem arises. Good for future reference though.

Lastly, you said your data is on a secondary interal drive right? If so, reinstalling os x will only affect your master drive. However, doing a proper reinstall involves wiping that drive clean, so any data on it will be lost.

Thanks everyone.

She was making that noise--the jet noise james beautified--and I couldn't help but think she was about to take off. So loud! Thinking so hard, obviously, as I turned the music up (thinking, "I'll give her a few minutes to find it?") and smiled at her like c'mon sweetie, you can do it, but finally had to force her off 'cause the noise sounding like it could eat 30gigs in no time.

Aser,
    Yes, everything I made was saved on the secondary internal.

Also, I have diskwarrior, which I will try now.

I bought diskwarrior for my girlfriend's computer, the one that is working now, because I was worried all of her work would get lost. So after fixing this thing up all nice like, I started wondering about mine. Ironic, then, that the exact instance I was waking her up to perform a little Preventative Manliness on her, she goes cold. I say this about her now, only because I know she is asleep, and sure not to hear (james, here's your Bay-related reference), "FUCK WITH US, BITCH... AND SUMPIN'S GETTIN' BROKEN!"

she being Brand

-new;and you
    know consequently a
    little stiff i was
    careful of her and(having

thoroughly oiled the universal
    joint tested my gas felt of
    her radiator made sure her springs were O.

K.)i went right to it flooded-the-carburetor cranked her

up,slipped the
    clutch(and then somehow got into reverse she
    kicked what
    the hell)next
    minute i was back in neutral tried and

again slo-wly;bare,ly nudg. ing(my

lev-er Right-
    oh and her gears being in
    A 1 shape passed
    from low through
    second-in-to-high like
    greasedlightning)just as we turned the corner of Divinity

avenue i touched the accelerator and give

her the juice,good

(it

was the first ride and believe i we was
    happy to see how nice she acted right up to
    the last minute coming back down by the Public
    Gardens i slammed on

the
    internalexpanding
    &
    externalcontracting
    brakes Bothatonce and

brought allofher tremB
    -ling
    to a:dead.

stand-
    ;Still)

cummings

Yee! Yee!

Now your ass know

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    I would say get the second drive with all of your important data out of the machine pronto. Then, assuming nothing on the other drive is important at all, you're free to try fixing the machine without fear of further damaging that drive (if it has even been damaged at all). Try a complete reinstall of OS X, and if that doesn't work, get that shit to an Apple authorized service provider. If you have AppleCare or your warranty is still good, they won't fuck around. If you just had the 1 year warranty and it has run out, you may actually kinda have another year of warranty through your credit card company. I bought my PowerBook with my Visa card, and one of the little services it provides is it will double any 1 year warranty. My PowerBook died 1.5 years after I bought, and the credit card company paid for the repairs. It was a pain in the ass because you have to act as the middle man between the repair people and the credit card people, but for a $1200 repair, it was worth it.

james,
    I had you pegged as a Bukowskian, not of he who Cumms. Adjusting mental mine garden now.

with an Apple Macintosh
    you can't run Radio Shack programs
    in its disc drive.
    nor can a Commodore 64
    drive read a file
    you have created on an
    IBM Personal Computer.
    both Kaypro and Osborne computers use
    the CP/M operating system
    but can't read each other's
    handwriting
    for they format (write
    on) discs in different
    ways.
    the Tandy 2000 runs MS-DOS but
    can't use most programs produced for
    the IBM Personal Computer
    unless certain
    bits and bytes are
    altered
    but the wind still blows over
    Savannah
    and in the Spring
    the turkey buzzard struts and
    flounces before his
    hens.

--Bukowski (:burp:)

I always knew I didnt need that hoe
    I got the game from the motherfuckin E-S-O

--T. Shaw (:byeatch:)

Bam,

Just saw a black power history LP you might want. Preachin Woman (i think) is the artist- One side is a long poem comparing white and black views of all presidents up to Nixon and second side is assorted early black power poems. Cool electric piano and bluesy sounds abound. Selling for $25. Let me know if you are interested.

I am taking a moment of record-related reprieve while she sleeps. I need the silence. My stomach needs the silence. The jets are down, and I am thinking about this "Preachin Woman" of whom you speak. This record, she is not familiar of me. It sounds like something I want, indeed.

Can I get back to you? (Are you selling or did you just see it?)

Depending on how many of my dollars this sleeping jet will demand, "Preachin Woman" might start to look like just another money hungry bitch.

• Shit, I'd say call me but I'm out of the country...

#1 try starting up from diskwarrior CD. (hold down "C")I would bet this wouldn't work if you can't boot from the OSX install disk tho..... If this works, boot and try to repair the drive. If not....

#2 try unplugging your HD and starting up from diskwarrior CD. If this works, your HD is bad (ugh). If not....

#3 if the above still doesn't work, another component is probably to blame OTHER than the HD (yay?). In which case...

#4 get a cheap firewire or USB external drive and drop in the internal. Should be a standard 3.5" IDE.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Bam,

I am taking a moment of record-related reprieve while she sleeps. I need the silence. My stomach needs the silence. The jets are down, and I am thinking about this "Preachin Woman" of whom you speak. This record, she is not familiar of me. It sounds like something I want, indeed.

Can I get back to you? (Are you selling or did you just see it?)

Depending on how many of my dollars this sleeping jet will demand, "Preachin Woman" might start to look like just another money hungry bitch.

A friend has it so it may go but believe me you need to hear what she says about Millard Fillmore and James Garfield. $25 plus shipping. Think about it.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

An Update on my Timid Sleeping Beast:

DiskWarrior managed to start, rather than the spinning pinwheel+crashing jets sound+Data Eaters Anonymous Feeling that was happening with all the other attempts to access her Disk Utility (she's shy like that), so at 2:30 pm EST (yesterday!) I hit the "REBUILD" button. It is now 10:00am EST (today!) and DiskWarrior is on "Step 5: Locating Directory Data..."

I haven't seen steps this involved since those twelve famous ones that lead to the conscious contact.

Although, after about four hours of step five, DiskWarrior was kind enough to throw a little note--"(Speed inhibited by disk malfuntion)"--on the screen. Letting me know, like the chef at Hooters, "Dude, quit staring, she's trying to work here."

I hope this works. I'll let you know.

I've talked to a few people who have been in similar pickles, and they all suggested replacing the drive, even if this works, because it will likely fail again, and usually fail beyond repair.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Bam,

I had a similar problem to this not too long ago (several months) and finally resolved the problem by doing this:

and then running this program.

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/

Either way, I recommend this app for all mac users. Cleans up your system beautifully, and can get you out of numerous pickles.

Good luck with your current Diskwarrior adventure!

• tsmtsm 16 Posts
    so you have two drives in one computer, one has your system on, the other work. the system one is fucked right? so why not just do a fresh re-install of osx on it? then if it restarts and is still fucked you know it's a hardware issue. your work drive will remain untouched unless you choose to install onto it.

i partition my drives so i have seperate system and work drives, every couple months i re-insall a new system anyway just to keep it clean. and unless you're someone who clogs their computer with endless amounts of apps just because they can it would only take a small night to put your essentials back on.

so you have two drives in one computer, one has your system on, the other work. the system one is fucked right? so why not just do a fresh re-install of osx on it?

Several reasons.

I bought the computer from my cousin, who had owned it less than a year (he's a dude who buys every new Mac as they come out), plus he was a computer teacher at a pilot school so he sent it to me chock-full of all the school discount programs I could need. He's moved across the country now, so re-installing some of them could prove tricky.

Plus, I believe Thunderbird is set to pull emails off my server and onto the HD that has the system on it (bad judgment on my part, in hindsight). There are thousands of emails that I would prefer not to lose.

It's my understanding that if I did a fresh re-install I would lose those programs, emails, as well as all the other little forgetful shit I've been storing on that drive in the last year?

Once I am running again, I will behave more like you described, though, that is for sure.

-----An Update-----[/b]

DiskWarrior has been working on her, my sleeping beast, since about 3pm yesterday. Making slow, but steady, progress through the steps, advising me as it went. About 11pm last night we hit "Step 5: Locating Directory Data..." and some time after one o'clock I went to sleep; it still on Step 5.

When I checked this morning, a little note had appeared in the Step 5 box that read: "(Speed inhibited by disk malfuntion)".

Nothing stopped, it's still chugging along; the pinwheel popping up now and again where the mouse cursor usually is, indicating, perhaps, that it's got another chunk of her bad data in it's clutches, soothing it back into a workable bit.

So, my question is one of time limits: I understand this is a time consuming process, but if the DiskWarrior approach isn't going to work, will it tell me, or does it just stay in this perpetual perception of activity (like mannequins in action poses) whether it's actually doing anything or not. Like, I'm all, is this shit frozen, dude? It's been, like, 14 hours.

Should I let it sit at Step 5 for another 14 hours (the other steps took about two hours each, roughly) assuming it will eventually get past the "disk malfuntion" area and into smoother sailing waters?

At what point do I give up with DiskWarrior and move to Target Mode?

As always, thank you, again and again.??