anyone into kung fu (doing not watching)?

waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
what do you practice, how often and how did you get into it? i'm interested in it, as much for my health (physical and mental) as anything else, but i'm more of a self-directed type than a "go to classes in a white suit" type. is it plausible to imagine i could be self-taught? i'm interested in peoples thoughts/experiences on a side note (and to keep it tied in to records) - favourite kung-fu related hip-hop?

Comments

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    studied wing chun for about a year. couldn't keep up my classes coz of work....still practice alone and read about it a fair bit. wing chun aint about uniforms and shouting. it aint about cool lookin moves either. just science. i aint gonna go into it, it fuckin rules! jus take some classes, get some books too.

oh yeah...watch sammo's Prodigal Son & michelle yeoh's Wing Chun.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts

on a side note (and to keep it tied in to records) - favourite kung-fu related hip-hop?

besides obvious wu shit.....Drunken Praying Mantis Style, the flip on jimmy james.
    "enuf talk....let's start fighting"

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    Studied Eagle Claw system for a couple of years on and off and am still friendly with my sifu and his wife.
    During the time I studied, my entire social life revolved around the school. Shit was kinda bugged.
    My ex studied Wing Chun down in NY's chinatown for a while and loved it.
    From everything I've heard and seen, it seems to be the most practical and efficient of all chinese systems.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

During the time I studied, my entire social life revolved around the school. Shit was kinda bugged.

The same happens everywhere. Sweating, fighting and puking form exhaustion really brings people together.

I studied Hung-Gar Kung Fu and Yang-style Tai Chi but had to quit, ironically, because i left for China for a year (in Shanghai only ex-pats are into that stuff). I was seriously in the shape of my life when I stopped. Still do Tai Chi and a wee bit of kung Fu now and then.

Go to some classes. It takes a lot of discipline to get good at it, and if you have that you can probably make do with some videos or books (there??s A LOT of bullshit in those fields though, and nothing beats being taught by a real human being). If not go to a training-hall. Don??t be put off by the "follow the code", Bruce Lee wannabees, just exercise and listen to what the master says.

Good luck

- J