Donnie Darko Appreciation (NRR)

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Wow. Never seen this flick before until just now. This was a great film. I don't know what it was about, but I want to watch it again and that's something that rarely happens. I think it counts on some corny/typical concepts (i.e. time travel, teenage angst, schizophrenia, and private schools) but the delivery/depiction of these themes was pretty riveting. I really hated the ending though.Feel me?

Comments

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I feel you, I liked the ending, made more sense the second time around...

It became an iconic film for a lot of brats, though.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this is one of those flicks that alot of people i respect love, while i hatt it.
    thought it was really corny. right down there with "you, me and everyone we know".

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I love that one scene where it's one long shot where they pan through the school and play "Head Over Heals." by tears for fears.

Damn, hating on this and "You Me and Every One We Know?" Both movies were great.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    this is one of those flicks that alot of people i respect love, while i hatt it.
    thought it was really corny. right down there with "you, me and everyone we know".

I never saw, "you, me and everyone we know" so that's a null set. Why, however, did you "hatt" DD? Please to explain. And I promise not to call you racist since we're (1) on Soulstrut and (2) I am inciting a debate.

gNAt

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    "you, me and everyone we know". - really lame, pretenious.

I like the ass to ass thing though, that made me laugh.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    I think darko is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, however only me and my closest friend think so. Theres so many funny scences in this..

"why do u wear that man suit"

"sometimes I doubt your comitment to sparkle motion"

"chut up"

"who could put an axe through solid bronze"

lots of good moments, and I love stupid stuff like people jumping on a trampoline for a scene transition and the cheese 80's feel...Most people think this movie is some deep serious shit but to me it is comedy.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I really wasn't expecting much when I saw this but I think it's a fucking great film. Off balance, funny, disturbing, great acting (particulartly Jake G.), a soundtrack which lifts it even further in spite the corniness of the songs... I like it.

• i rewatched this film a couple weeks ago and even though I'd seen it before my jaw was still on the floor for the last 10 minutes. Seriously great film, I think it's just the way it seems kinda normal but at the same time it's definitely not with just some other shit going on. The whole atmosphere it builds up and the 80s vibe is just dope. Anyone seen the DVD extras of the graffiti exhibition where they had to make works in 6 hrs 42 mins and 12 seconds and the exhibition ran for 28 days?

on a similar tip is Brick. loved that also

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Whe the movie came out, the ads were deceiving. I thought it was a killer bunny horror flick. But my peoples told me not to sleep. So I copped the DVD and was open. This is some superhero shit IMO.The og dvd has the Infomercial w/ the kid sayin - "I'm Not afraid anymore!!!" Hilarious. The Directors cut has more footage added, and it works. This might be on my desert island list.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    time travel, teenage angst, schizophrenia, and private schools

This is easily one of my all-time favourites. I remember seeing it for the first time when I was in the states, in Chicago getting stoned for the very first time. It didn??t help me trying to sort things out.

After seeing it a few times over after that (don??t wanna wear it out) it still manages to draw me in to it.

- J

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Whatever you do, don't listen to the director's commentary. I enjoyed the film, or at least my interpretation of it, but once I heard what he had intended each scene to mean, the entire movie became a lot dumber.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The film is good but the cult is unbearable.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Whatever you do, don't listen to the director's commentary. I enjoyed the film, or at least my enterpretation of it, but once I heard what he had intended each scene to mean, the entire movie became a lot dumber.

I've heard mixed things about his new film, some proclaiming it as genius, others proclaiming that it's the worst thing they've seen since Brown Bunny.

Looks pretty fucked up either way

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405336/

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Whatever you do, don't DO listen to the director's commentary.

Jake Gyllenhall's Christopher Walken impersonation is hilarious!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I definitely dig Donnie Darko, it's got that Lynch feel to it sometimes. I've heard the og and directors cut have different endings, but I haven't seen the latter. Anyone compared the two?