Mel Gibson Craziness (NRR)

13»

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

^^so did someone explain what the hell this is here and i missed it?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

^^so did someone explain what the hell this is here and i missed it?

Audrey,

In the trailer to "Apocalypco", there was a single frame (image above) of Mel Gibson that he inserted in there as a joke. It flashes by so fast, you wouldn't notice but if you slowed it down, frame to frame, you can see it.

Very "Fight Club."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I take it you're not a big believer in the broken windows theory of crime prevention?

Random note: what I think is interesting is that Malcolm Gladwell more or less argues for the broken windows theory in "The Tipping Point" but the Freakanomics guys, who are big Gladwell boosters, pretty much debunk that argument in their book.

When social theorists fight!

For the record, I think the broken windows theory holds great allure but I think it's also very difficult, statistically, to back-up. Or at least, it needs a lot more data in order to support it.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    3) And while I think personally prejudice against Jews, blacks, Mexicans or others is a problem in this country, I think it's folly to think we have to change everyone's attitudes. People are going to be bigots cause there's a lot of stupid people. But let's focus on this problem when that hate is married up to like an action plan. If someone makes a racist joke to his freinds, I think the joke teller is an idiot. But the focus of attention should be on racist employers or real estate agents or cops, or worse the remnants of racist terrorists like the Klan. The mission to change everyone's attitudes led to the folly of PC. And I say the same thing about hating on Jews. You want to think some stupid shit about Jews, be my guest. It's America, you have the right to be a fool. But when there is an industry of hate, that's the issue.

Exactly. Which is why I think the whole notion/premise of "hate crimes" is beyond ridiculous.
    As stupid as it sounds, I should have the right to hate anyone I want.
    It's when I act on that hate - by killing some for example - that makes it fucked.
    We already have laws for murder. But that muder doesn't somehow become worse because of what I was thinking while murdering you.
    Is that not the definition of a thought crime?
    Yes, John Rocker is a racist asshole. The world knows that.
    But should he be forced to take part in some kind of re-education / sensitivity training course? Absolutely not.
    Despite how despicable our thoughts might be, we should all be free to think them.