REP YO CITY'S BEST RECORD STORE

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
SHowdown time. Everybody pick 1 favorite spot in your city. Now that arons is gone from l.a., (R.I.P.) I gotta go with freakbeat on ventura. Based off of the fact that the staff is mad cool and knowledgeble, selection is varied and generally pretty good, and pricing is reasonable. Freakbeat it is. If we made it official, and made an award for it, i bet mabye record stores would put it in the window or something too....mabye.

Comments

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    Washington DC Metro Area:

1- Som Records aka DJ Neville C's Playground

High quality records of many many genres, plus they've got 45s!
    Quick turnover means you'll be happy
    "New Arrivals" Section
    Cool interior design
    Located next to quality food joints
    Ne*l/Neville C is usually available to rap with (unless he's kicking it in Brazil)

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Amsterdam: Waxwell records, gasthuismolensteeg 6.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    There's some stiff competition in this city and everyone's got their favorites. But I gotta rep GOOD RECORDS NYC!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I couldn't imagine a better way to help people to buy everything they listen to.

Blazed + headphones = EVERYTHING SOUNDS INCREDIBLE!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Either...Backspin or Friends of Sound.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

if j.o.b. pays out quarterly profit sharing or I get a lucky scratchoff ticket:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

if j.o.b. pays out quarterly profit sharing or I get a lucky scratchoff ticket:

ha ha. Didnt ya get a "Move your hand" 45 in Forever Broke for a buck or something though? Every 5 to 6 years you can catch a deal in there.

ha ha. Didnt ya get a "Move your hand" 45 in Forever Broke for a buck or something though? Every 5 to 6 years you can catch a deal in there.

Move Your Hand & Betty Harris Break in the Road 45s for a total of $1 !

getting a good a deal at Forever Young =

PS - Rerog bought a record there and ended up with the Francis Lai note. I told him I knew who the author was and we were like

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    NICE PRICE BOOKS

RALEIGH FAIRGROUNDS FLEA MARKET

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I'm gonna go ahead and say Forever Young in the D/FW area.... No steals to be had usually with his pricing system, but you can't argue with a mint copy of Steam Heat for $75 or tons of rare hip-hop 12"s over the years for $10 a piece.... Dave gets the records in and is a pretty nice guy to boot. That one wierdo he has working for him is a bit off the chart though.

Move Your Hand & Betty Harris Break in the Road 45s for a total of $1 !

getting a good a deal at Forever Young =

PS - Rerog bought a record there and ended up with the Francis Lai note. I told him I knew who the author was and we were like

oh shit, Did rerog hide those LPs? all i know is I found some heat that was obviously being hid in the Francis Lai section...and I went ahead and grabed them and left a little note for the person who came back for their hidden gems shouldnt hide records in a section of an artist who has heat of their own. I hope I didnt steal rerogs records...

That one wierdo he has working for him is a bit off the chart though.

bald pony tail hippy that wears the alvin lee t-shirt all the damn time...whatta douche.

the little old hippy dude that looks like a garden gnome is cool though.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Definatly have to shout out the garden gnome guy, he collects funk and soul so I bet he gets all the raery raer... even the mustach guy that kinda looks like he would forcefully pull you into his van at night is pretty cool.

Hor are things in Tenn *ri*?

Definatly have to shout out the garden gnome guy, he collects funk and soul so I bet he gets all the raery raer... even the mustach guy that kinda looks like he would forcefully pull you into his van at night is pretty cool.

Hor are things in Tenn *ri*?

going good dude. shit, I forgot who "Taco monroe" was for a minute..good to see ya on the board again! still holdin Denton down? so you got my Francis Lai note? you didnt hide those LPs there did ya? Feel bad if you were the recipient of my smart ass note, but you wouldnt hide odell brown and the organizers and the grammacks in the Francis Lai section...you prolly had them jernts already in your massive shelves of fame...

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i wanna go to Good Records NYC but im scared

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    unfortunately there are no records in Michigan.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Glad things are good up there... I moved from Denton about a year ago, in Grapevine now with my girl living the burbs life. Kinda feeling it too. Just got a laptop and the wireless going in the pad so I'm on here quite a bit more now waisting time while the lady cooks and cleans...hehehe.

I got the note but not the records, I enjoy finding things like that, I probably should have left it for the fool that placed the records there, made him thing some mystery big dude collectro has raided "his" spot!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

It's a rough crowd. These chicks were about to go at it over some northern soul 45 the last time I was there.

MEGA

mustach guy that kinda looks like he would forcefully pull you into his van at night is pretty cool.

Dude reminds me of Mr Bean. And he does look like he spends his days off cruising by playgrounds to inquire about his lost puppy.

So the staff :

Garden Gnome
    Douche Bag
    Mr Bean
    New Token Barley Legal Chick

and there's some other dude who's kinda new who was rockin a crocodile dundee hat =

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    hm the best record store for my needz would be humrecords.ch.. big selections of hiphop and funk and sometimes i can dig in their basement for those 's

It's a rough crowd. These chicks were about to go at it over some northern soul 45 the last time I was there.

MEGA

see what i mean?

im shook

MEGA

see what i mean?

im shook

I feel you... But understand that if anyone gets out of line in here, the homies will regulate.

Some folks are just shy, but it's cool to lurk

MEGA

new gaemiln alert! gotta think of a good saying however. that pic is fantastic, looks like K*m is surrous.

i think i wanna head over on my lunch break?

where are u guys located?

im by the 1 off Canal and Varick

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    Winnipeg's Into The Music: http://gallery.32bitwonder.org/Into_The_Music

The only thing I'm going to miss about my current job is having this store right around the corner.

East 3rd street between Avenue A and Avenue B.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Twist & Shout Records in Tucson, AZ. Less than a year old, and it easily stole the top spot from Judy's Music Spot (formerly PDQ records) upon my first visit. This wasn't too hard though, because the new management at Judy's are so fucking clueless about running a records store that it makes me want to yell at people when I go in there.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    In Philly?

There used to be some good ones,but they've either closed or have gone the"screw you this one's going on e-bay" route.

There is a relatively new spot called Tequila Sunrise that is suppossed to be really good though.