Top 5s

kennykenny 1,024 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
i only have 2 though:-ve1. work the fact that i know more about records than my actual career is definitely not cool. maybe i really SHOULD consider a career change.2. familyold man went thru a surgery recently, though its all ok, but still strikes me in the head that its time to make big moves with my career and take some responsibilities. plus odd arguments at home just make it all colder.+ve1. holidaytaking a week off work to head downunder, meeting up with my crew for a show and diggin, definitely looking forward to that. Plus, getting Sheep drunk with sake and hide all his raers will be awesome fun. 2. old lady at homemom has been the toughest woman i've known for real, she really have been through a lot of bs drama recently (losing 3 close friends in one single week is no joke)but still manage to take good care of everyone at home including dad while he was in surgery and not fall off one bit. whats good ?? your turn.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    driving on a parkway with a young ladyfriend

1. friends and family

2. paypal refund on a warped record

3. "don't put off what you can do today"

4. old tapes (paul's boutique, jeah!)

5. fleetwood mac - dreams

parking on a driveway with young ladyfriend's parents waiting for you in the yard

1. driving a borrowed car because I got into an ACCIDENT CRASH BOOM SMOKE AIRBAGS TOW TRUCK STIFF NECK

2. warped record

3. realizing I have been putting off 10 billion things

4. having to play old tapes in said borrowed car

5. fleetwood mac - go your own way

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

1. driving a borrowed car because I got into an ACCIDENT CRASH BOOM SMOKE AIRBAGS TOW TRUCK STIFF NECK
    2. warped record
    3. realizing I have been putting off 10 billion things
    4. having to play old tapes in said borrowed car
    5. fleetwood mac - go your own way

1. hope you're getting well soon

3. "laziness is a part of human nature, its not my fault"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

1. Back In The Swing Of Making Paychecks[/b] - back at work and loving it

2. Made a Fool of Myself For Y'alls Enjoyment[/b] - details to come...

3. Semester Over In 5 Days[/b] - time is ticking and I love it

4. Got My Internship[/b] gettin down to work on the. ABC/Disney lot working for a production company that deals in telling minority stories on film and TV

5. Health, Friends and Family[/b] - really should always be in your top 5. Far too often these things are taken for granted.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    SLIM THUG

1). Some choice-ass gigs this weekend and in the month of june

2). My boy is loaning me his Sp-1200! OH SNAP!

3). I'm sayin' though mixtape 95% done. Just need to master it and it's official

4). Meeting some fellow producers who i've always respected and finding out the shit is mutual.

5). purging records

BONUS: Being able to hammer-out 2 miles like it's nothing.

BONUS REVENGE: Maybe some king most wax by the summer time.

SLIM FAST

1). Paying to press up a cd. Shit ain't cheap.

2). Paying to press up vinyl. Shit ain't cheap

3). These broads....when it rains it pours

4). Having a slap block for the past week.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    1. I GOT A JOB!

2. I GOT A JOB!!

3. I GOT A JOB!!!

4. I GOT A JOB!!!!

5. I GOT A JOB!!!!!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    1. I GOT A JOB!

2. I GOT A JOB!!

3. I GOT A JOB!!!

4. I GOT A JOB!!!!

5. I GOT A JOB!!!!!

dude, you're gonna hate it.

nah for real, congratulations!

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    gotta da juice:

-found out moms doesn't have cancer. whew!

-close to the one year anni with my chicalina. sysed!

-my nephew's are cool as shyte! need to spend more time with em'

-2nd album is about to drop worldwide on Rhythm and Culture and 3rd album is ready to be pressed on Truegrooves.

-came to the realization that it's time to start back with school again and get that audio engineering degree.

don't gotta de juice:

- this fucking war, and this bullshit administration ruining lives all over the world.

-annoyed with my job. counting the seconds everyday till it's time to leave.

- want to get the hell out of dodge.

- need to empty out my mind more often.

- came to the realization that it's time to start back with school again and get that audio engineering degree.

but gotta give praises everday.

life's too short.

respect.

thx dood, I'm a little sore but I'll live

Guzzo, you gotta let us know what this secret funny thing is

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Okay, you dudes know a top five is just an unrealistic amount of positivity for me, but I got one: brown paper 45 sleeves... is it me, or do they make just about any 7" look real serious?

Baby steps Faux, baby steps.

I'm partial to the green or red cardboard but brown cardboard is pretty spiffy, too.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Okay, you dudes know a top five is just an unrealistic amount of positivity for me, but I got one: brown paper 45 sleeves... is it me, or do they make just about any 7" look real serious?

Ahhhh, so this explains why I saw a stack of white 45 sleeves in the trash can when I woke up from my nap on Saturday.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    85 Degrees

1. Drewn is that hommie ... nuff said ... appreciate / Congratulations
    2. Bambouche is that hommie too ... respek b/w get ready the the Squad take over
    3. Shig is hommie for real ... y'all need to recognize b/w Morris Day holmes!
    4. Legend is the super duper hommie ... hang tight brother b/w baghat vinyl owns your kids
    5. So much work right now I don't know what to work on first ... thank you everybody
    6. My brother just got his Masters in Computer Science.... congrats to that hommie

110 Degrees

Not a damn thing y'all ... life is real good right now

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    highs

1. this jazz band we are recording today...they are just warming up and we are getting sounds...and the piano player starts playing the riff that tribe uses for "sucka niggaz"...then goes into the bass riff that is on black sheeps "this or that"...and this drummer with them is rediculous. good funky free jazz still exists people!

2. worked with the Strokes last night...well, one or two members working on a solo project. very nice people, the new stuff sounds great too.

3. went to the hamptons for the first time this weekend for a wedding...was put up in this amazing cabin...wedding was gorgeous on the beach but it was [email]freezing@![/email] i guess the hamptons is like 10 to 20 degrees cooler than nyc.

lows:

1. working on two hours of sleep today.

2. no time or $$$ to buy records lately.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

They only begin to look "real serious" in one of these:

But be clear: the two are not mutually exclusive.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    just found out that this drummer has been fred wesley's drummer for the past ten years...that would explain the funkiness!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

faux always getting mail in brown paper sleeves.

to the 5ives:

the latest issue of "Hot Butts" in a brown paper sleeve
    - new mix "Negocios Lindos" about to pop @ vanguardsquad.
    - June 10 gig for Cocinando book release. I haven't played records in front of people in about a million years. This should be interesting.
    - June 3 apartment close. Move on up!
    - just had poems taken by a magazine, just read w/two of my favorite poets friday night, about to finish this book. So focused on John Cage and Thelonius Monk, how all sound is communication.
    - you don't have to be a hipster to like brazilian psych. See: Lula Cortes e Ze Ramalho.

a half-empty bottle of Rot Gut in a brown paper bag
    - Move = no $ or time for digging. Missing the fleas this spring. Missing the shows. Haven't seen any of y'all.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    brown paper 45 sleeves...

i can't explain it, but yes i also like brown sleeves myself.

plastic sleeves on 45s are totally wack, however.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

I dunno what it is either, but that 45 is looking damn serious in that brown paper sleeve.

Someone should make a living out of it. Call it the 'Brown Paper Heat Maker' or something.

Maybe thats what the Roni Size track was getting at:

"Step to the rhythm made out of brown paper, sounds entering of a different nature........."

Not when you have to bring 300 45s to a gig. Without plastic sleeves, your precious brown sleeves will get shredded.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

no they're not actually. if i've paid $30, $40, $50 for a 45 and/or it's a side I love and/or something that is hard to find then I'd like to do all I can to protect it.

• chrischris 287 Posts

Not when you have to bring 300 45s to a gig. Without plastic sleeves, your precious brown sleeves will get shredded.

how do you grip them though??
    they're all slippery and stuff. weak.

p.s. no matter the sleeve, neil diamond 45s on bang will never look serious to me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Guzzo, you gotta let us know what this secret funny thing is

Real headz know the deal (including you)

trust me its coming out better than I first thought

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

glad you're alright though Mark.

how do you grip them though??
    they're all slippery and stuff. weak.

True, they are a bit slickery, but it actually helps to get them in and out of the toolbox.

[BTW: KingMost will read that line five times, snicker so hard a booger shoots onto his ALT key, then quote it and type PASUE]

When I play dancehall, I usually have one 45 in paper inside a plastic sleeve, another 45 in front of that outside the paper but inside the plastic, and a third 45 behind the middle one, outside the paper but inside the plastic. Mini-riddim packs: indispensable.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

When I play dancehall get my cultural approriation on [/b], I usually have one 45 in paper inside a plastic sleeve, another 45 in front of that outside the paper but inside the plastic, and a third 45 behind the middle one, outside the paper but inside the plastic. Mini-riddim packs: indispensable.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    it's all good
    actually graduating! i thought one of my grades wasn't going to be up to par (you need a C for major credit) and i didn't find out until this afternoon (graduation ceremonies are always fun when you're not sure if you're actually graduating). but now it's official, i'm a fuckin college grad!

Stella (David Wain, Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter, all of the state and wet hot american summer fame) has a fucking tv show (premiers June 28th). the pilot's on the torrents and it's incredible brilliant absurdist shit, really like nothing that's ever aired on tv in a long time. plus it boasts edward norton and rashida jones cameos). it's pretty fucking bizarre and will almost definitely flop, but i'm glad that we'll get a good season, maybe more if the comedy central gods smile on us.

mobbinnn in my old school / smashin like a straight foooool

perhaps the greatest childrens tv show of all time? on dvd? yes please...

getting a chance to spend some time in dc with my parents this weekend, most notably watching my dad (not a big guy) passionately consume three consecutive bowls of ben's chilli on sunday. i'm bringing him a gallon home.

it's all bad
    1-3. moving. about half the record collection made it's way up to my parents house, but i still have a TON of shit. sometimes i wished i collected coins or baseball cards or something. anybody in the dc area looking for a queen size bed or a nice wooden couch?

4. living with the parents again will be fun for like ten minutes, then it'll get ugly.

5. i probably have to find a job now, huh?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    the good:
    1. Finding a large[/b] nug of weed on the floor today -- been dry for a minute so it was a great surprise.
    2. I've got my producer's feel back.
    3. Tons of good records in Woodstock, NY this weekend.
    4. My cat's health is improving.
    5. I got hired to co-write a children's book series about a young dj who has the powwer to hear sounds from the past by touching objects.

the bad:
    1. My girl is yet again forced to stay late at work.
    2. My job is not paying me enough.
    3. Old jaz disks continue to detioriorate.
    4. Finding an ill ill ill break this weekend only to realize it was on the Private Press. (I can't use a shadow break, can I?)
    5. My Dad's gotten on this "calling me every day kick."

the ugly:
    1. My hair is way too long and I cant bring myself to get a haircut.
    2. Using this natural deodorant because my store only carries natural shit. Natuaral isn't working.
    3. My personal appearance is not too good these days.
    4. I have about six full garbage bags I need to take down stairs.
    5. Having to spend my weekend in Woodstock with my girlfriend's aunt and uncle and their two oung kids.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

You do NOT have this on wax

do you?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I do NOT have this on wax

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

perhaps the greatest childrens tv show of all time? on dvd? yes please...

Co-sign...Check out Slackers with the 'older Pete'. "So...you're masturbating?" Dude's 'burns in that flick are on point too