What's good on Kubaney?

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
This Felix Del Rosario LP has been in my playout crate since I first opened it a couple of weeks ago and I can't get enough. Don't really have much Cuban stuff, but if there's lots like this, then Viva la Revolucion! This is the typical Kubaney sound? What else is good?Mi China Quere Agozar Sabroson Dafne

Comments

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Kubaney is one of those weird labels that I can't seem to get info on. They released a broad range of stuff from rock to merengue. Its one of those labels from Hialeh, Florida that screams tax scheme, but they seem to have a lot of legit releases. Never with liner notes and always plugging other LP's on the back with generic looking covers. I have a few on the label but nothing is coming to the top of my head for a top 5, except for a Cachao album I got two weeks ago.
    Felix del Rosario is from PR not Cuba, as far as I know (read: with a grain of salt). I have his "La Batalla" LP, on the Borinquen label, that I got in X-mas. When I pulled it out and brought it to be priced dude was all "This is rare! And good! You lucked out blah blah blah" Ended up being a mediocre merengue album with one descent salsa track. Wha happn?!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Kubaney started in Cuba in the Mid-50's and then moved their operations over to Miami(Hialeah) in the early 60's. My old man was/is a HUGE Johnny Ventura fan so we always had a bunch of his records on Kubaney around the house.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Thanks for shedding some light dudes. I'll have another look to see if I have any more on the label, but I have a suspicion I have passed on these sorts of things in the past while looking for CoFanTico-type stuff

Can't find any info on this Rosario LP, but some of the tracks are on his greatest hits. I just peeped the Kubaney site I see they released that turd with the dope cover - Igniters Explode/Fire in the Hole! Maybe that's why I've been ignoring it till now.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    website has no back catalouge info, but I guess its safe to say it was no tax scheme, there you have it.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Not enough people listened to these. Only about 8 and they were probably lurkers. my girl's asleep and thinks I'm making beats doing something constructive. Tonight I have mostly been drinking Rican Rum mixed with aloe vera and honey.