Should I Quit My Job?

DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I almost did today... I may tomorrow. Basically my boss is the biggest jackass of all time. HR is too slow to act and really can't do anything about it and I don't want to wait around to see if they can. It's so bad that every day I want to stick my head in a meat grinder just to feel something else. This all stems from the company I work for being acquired by a Japanese company recently. Things have changed for the worse fast to say the least.What's keeping me there is the other people in the company, my awesome title, my awesome salary, and I really want to finish this project I've been working on for a while now. Unfortunately this one guy seems to overpower all the good.What I kinda want to do is quit and take the rest of the summer off to finish my latest mix CD of international psych funk raers. It's been dragging on and on for over a year now because I've been so busy at work. I'm certainly not thinking of taking a go at being a professional DJ, but I'd really like to have my DJ name on something that I'm proud of and worked super hard on.I have plenty of money to not work for a few months, but I'm afraid to lose the security. The job market is sweet out here right now for what I do, but it's still a risk to find a greater or equal position that I'm in now. My company has promoted me 6 times in the 2 1/2 years I've been there and I'm by far the youngest Director I know at a large company. I don't know if I can find that kind of job anywhere else.So what I really want to know is... should I stay or should I go? Oh, and sorry for another serious post from me... I'm really a chill dude most of the time

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Before quiting take a two or three week vacation. Come back and then decide.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I say stick it out and try to somehow work a "Get dude fired in some manner".

But I stress. Don't quit until you got something better in the works.

Make sure ur set somewhere else before you walk...

Also, it looks better if you interview at other places while still employed. Just tell prospective employers why you're leaving and what you're looking for in a job. Then you have the luxury of picking and choosing jobs.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my awesome title, my awesome salary

Just from that alone, I can tell you'll dearly miss both once you quit. I think it might be too late to go back to the dollar bin lifestyle right now.

What liabilities are you carrying? School loans, cc debt, mortgage/house, car payments. I also recall you having some financial problems related to your past dot com boom company. How is that turning out?

Never quit on a whim, quit only after careful planning.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    Sounds like you should stay.

...at least a little longer.

HR may actually do something, eventually, and it may be worth sticking it out.
    You sound like yer happy with you accomplishments, and the company is happy with you - the bigger picture is that you're in a good situation and you worked your way there.

If you're considering leaving, I'd def. put the heat on w/ HR -- nothing to lose!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I've actually been working on this with HR for a few months now. The whole company is in disarray right now with the acquisition. They keep telling me to try and work it out with my boss, but the fucking guy won't listen. People that used to hold the power here now report to people in Japan and there's some serious communication issues. I'm not the only unhappy person there, but everyone seems to think I have it the worst. Maybe if I threaten to quit, they'd work to resolve it because I'm a key player in the integration of the 2 companies. I'm in charge of the new corporate website across 6 languages. I'm 3 months away from launch.

So I have no debt, no school loans, my car's paid off completely and my rent is super cheap. I have a good amount of money saved, but certainly not enough to vacation for too long. I could pull it off for a little while no problem.

I may ride it out for a little while longer and see if it gets better. I certainly won't be putting in the effort I was before... 7AM to 7PM like hours, and I'm gonna try and shrug this guy's antics off my shoulder. I'm gonna polish up my resume tonight and maybe send it out to some places tomorrow.

Thanks y'all

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Enh, threatening to quit is typically not a good idea, because you put all your cards on the table. If you don't quit, it becomes an empty threat, and if you do quit then you're not seen as an asset to the company and therefore disposable. Bite your tongue, do some interviews and try to land somewhere before leaving.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've actually been working on this with HR for a few months now. The whole company is in disarray right now with the acquisition. They keep telling me to try and work it out with my boss, but the fucking guy won't listen. People that used to hold the power here now report to people in Japan and there's some serious communication issues. I'm not the only unhappy person there, but everyone seems to think I have it the worst. Maybe if I threaten to quit, they'd work to resolve it because I'm a key player in the integration of the 2 companies. I'm in charge of the new corporate website across 6 languages. I'm 3 months away from launch.

So I have no debt, no school loans, my car's paid off completely and my rent is super cheap. I have a good amount of money saved, but certainly not enough to vacation for too long. I could pull it off for a little while no problem.

I may ride it out for a little while longer and see if it gets better. I certainly won't be putting in the effort I was before... 7AM to 7PM like hours, and I'm gonna try and shrug this guy's antics off my shoulder. I'm gonna polish up my resume tonight and maybe send it out to some places tomorrow.

Thanks y'all

Getting your resume out there is incredibly theraputic. Channel the negative energy you get from your boss into something positive.

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
    Just make sure keeping it real don't go wrong..

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Well, if you threaten to quit you have to ask yourself whether the company could better afford to lose you or your boss. Perversely, this isn't normally down to how good you are or how important your role is, it's how long you've been there on what salary and how much they'd have to pay out to lose you. If your asshole boss has more years and more salary then it may not be worth it to lose him no matter how bad he is. Cheaper to lose you maybe. Yeah, quit if you want to but not without a realistic plan to get back into work.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Enh, threatening to quit is typically not a good idea, because you put all your cards on the table. If you don't quit, it becomes an empty threat, and if you do quit then you're not seen as an asset to the company and therefore disposable. Bite your tongue, do some interviews and try to land somewhere before leaving.

While I agree that it's never a good look to threaten to quit there are ways round this that can have the same effect if you're seriously considering leaving anyway. In one of my previous jobs I requested time off work to go to a job interview. Most large companies (I believe though I may be talking shit) have rules in place that they allow employers time off for interviews.
    This will normally kickstart HR into having meetings about your reasons for leaving. It's a gamble but then so's life.

By the way

It's so bad that every day I want to stick my head in a meat grinder just to feel something else.

What's keeping me there is the other people in the company, my awesome title, my awesome salary

This applies to 90% of jobs out there

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Getting your resume out there is incredibly theraputic. Channel the negative energy you get from your boss into something positive.

cosigned. every time i have a bad day at the office I start looking at Monster and apply for a few jobs, and I feel a little better.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    whoa, I went through a similar situation with my DJ gear job a few months back. Boss was a total prick, I called him out on it - politely and professionally mind you - and suddenly I wasn't scheduled for workshifts anymore.

All good advice so far, but don't be afraid to 'take some time off'. I've been technically unemployed for 5 months, but when interviewers asked, I just said "I took some time off to pursue my art, and now it's time to get back into the work field again". You'd be surprised how much respect that actually garners. Now I got a cool job at Brooklyn College which is waaay better than my gear job.

While traditionally it looks bad to have gaps in your employment, if you are keeping yourself busy during that time, most people won't bat an eye. Lots of folks take leaves to travel, work on a personal project, raise kids, etc. and still get a kickass job when they return to employment. What looks bad is if you say, "well I took time off so I could smoke pot, eat ice cream and watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force all day while collecting unemployment"

my $.02

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Write the dude's name on a piece of paper, and place the piece of paper upside down in a bottom drawer. Apparently named dude will cease to be a problem in some way.

Some people I know swear by it.
    RealHeadz know the deal.

• teddyrossoteddyrosso 268 Posts
    Is this Burger king?

I almost did today... I may tomorrow.

Basically my boss is the biggest jackass of all time. HR is too slow to act and really can't do anything about it and I don't want to wait around to see if they can. It's so bad that every day I want to stick my head in a meat grinder just to feel something else. This all stems from the company I work for being acquired by a Japanese company recently. Things have changed for the worse fast to say the least.

What's keeping me there is the other people in the company, my awesome title, my awesome salary, and I really want to finish this project I've been working on for a while now. Unfortunately this one guy seems to overpower all the good.

What I kinda want to do is quit and take the rest of the summer off to finish my latest mix CD of international psych funk raers. It's been dragging on and on for over a year now because I've been so busy at work.

I'm certainly not thinking of taking a go at being a professional DJ, but I'd really like to have my DJ name on something that I'm proud of and worked super hard on.

I have plenty of money to not work for a few months, but I'm afraid to lose the security. The job market is sweet out here right now for what I do, but it's still a risk to find a greater or equal position that I'm in now. My company has promoted me 6 times in the 2 1/2 years I've been there and I'm by far the youngest Director I know at a large company. I don't know if I can find that kind of job anywhere else.

So what I really want to know is... should I stay or should I go?

Oh, and sorry for another serious post from me... I'm really a chill dude most of the time

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Put feelers out in your field, and go out on some interviews(on the low...don't advertise anything to co-workers, etc)....get a feel for what is ACTUALLY out there vs. your perception.

You will generally find one of two things, either your position really is worth weathering the storm for, or that there may be bluer skies for you somewhere else. Keeping it all in perspective is the tough part, so I understand your dilemma. But in the end, it may be worth taking a chance while you have some cushion and go for the long-term vision. In other words, making a change may not get you to that next level directly, but it may position you for bigger things in the long run.

Just some thoughts...good luck!

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    See if it's possible to move to a 4 day workweek.

I was sick of my job for a variety of reasons... Things were changing, and not for the good. I requested a vacation and they said no, so I gave my two weeks notice. Didn't get an offer to stay, but how it's all unfolded since I put in my notice, I'm quite happy to move on.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    If there ever is a time to find yourself and work on your craft (with dough in the bank), it is now. If you decide to get married and have kids, you will have no such freedom because you will have mouths to feed. It also sounds like you won't have any trouble finding another job with your skillset. Bottom line is ... life is short, if something is making you miserable, walk away. It sounds like you have the experience and the financial freedom to do so.. so I say do it!

If there ever is a time to find yourself and work on your craft (with dough in the bank), it is now.

This is a big one here... I've just been getting busier and busier over the last few years out of college and I've been spending less and less time on my hobby that I love so much. I may need to flip the scale just for a little while to preserve my interests and my sanity.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, which I kinda am at my job I guess, the company can not afford to lose me. I'm not only managing the global web team, I'm also the server admin, the content management system admin and the only application developer. When we were acquired, my team was given the task of integrating the company's global web presence because we had a better web team than them. My boss is simply overseeing me and my team, but if he's gonna make us crazy (I already lost 2 team members because of him), it's totally counterproductive. Plus, we were doing totally fine by ourselves before he showed up. I would have launched the new site months ago if it weren't for this guy and his antics. Everyone at my company knows this, but like I said, we don't hold the power anymore... Japan does.

Oh well, still undecided... I'm gonna try and take it easy here today. Play some foosball, have a lot of smoke breaks, probably buy some records online, ya know

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Channel the negative energy you get from your boss into something positive.

Always keep a log in the fire.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    If there ever is a time to find yourself and work on your craft (with dough in the bank), it is now. If you decide to get married and have kids, you will have no such freedom because you will have mouths to feed. It also sounds like you won't have any trouble finding another job with your skillset. Bottom line is ... life is short, if something is making you miserable, walk away. It sounds like you have the experience and the financial freedom to do so.. so I say do it!

• What sort of things is your boss doing?

Right now, I am picturing,

But who knows?

If he is doing truly harassing things, i say start creating a log for anything he does. even try and get some more physical evidence, emails, video, audio. if it gets worse, get more evidence. sue the fuckers if necessary, but HR will take you a whole lot more serious when they have this on their hands. because it is a big no no to brush this stuff and then get sued- they will probably get shit canned. send official letters of complaints, basically make sure everything is documented and always CC a lawyer- even if it is fake. always do things over email and not in person or the phone. if you get fired over this- you will have a couple months paid vacation by the gubment and the company will probably offer you a nice little parting gift to boot.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Play some foosball, have a lot of smoke breaks, probably buy some records online, ya know

Also known to be very theraputic.

What sort of things is your boss doing?

Haha... I wish!

Nah, this guy's the opposite. He works 100 hours a week no joke and expects that from me and my team. Micromanages me and goes over me to micromanage my team. He's going around people's back and stepping on their toes over their responsibilities while criticizing them for their "unacceptable work ethic". I spend half my day replying to his non stop email onslaught... the main reason why I'm working 12 hours a day because I still have a lot of work to get done.

• Haha... I wish!

Nah, this guy's the opposite. He works 100 hours a week no joke and expects that from me and my team. Micromanages me and goes over me to micromanage my team. He's going around people's back and stepping on their toes over their responsibilities while criticizing them for their "unacceptable work ethic". I spend half my day replying to his non stop email onslaught... the main reason why I'm working 12 hours a day because I still have a lot of work to get done.

How the heck do you find the time for the 'Strut?????

How the heck do you find the time for the 'Strut?????

I'm at my desk in front of my computer 12 hours a day is how! I can't be working the whole time. The Strut, eBay, cigarette breaks and foosball breaks are my mental health time

What sort of things is your boss doing?

Haha... I wish!

Whatever happened with that mini-strike you guys did?

Whatever happened with that mini-strike you guys did?

Eh, that was all me and I couldn't go through with it. It was really just a one day joke with my team when these issues first started brewing. I cared too much about the company, my team and the project to actually do that for real. Maybe I should have because I lost 2 key team members shortly thereafter.

You ever thought of trying to get a job at Google? You sound like you got the talent and work ethic that's right up their alley.

You ever thought of trying to get a job at Google? You sound like you got the talent and work ethic that's right up their alley.

FUCK THAT SHIT!! I'm not working for a cult.