The state of things....

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
So i have a friend at one of my jobs who is 19. The kid is very smart and not just books, he is looking ahead to make sure he gets what he wants from life, etc etc etc.Anyhow, he is about to be a sophmore in college, so naturally he is listening to a lot more music because of his new environment. i certainly can't co-sign all of his tastes, but we do see eye to eye on a few things. Anyhow, he was telling me about Coheed and Cambria because of some story thing they do from album to album (?) He doesn't like them but finds the whole albums as chapters thing interesting. So then he drops this line on me:"It's kinda cool. MTV made up a genre to describe them, Prog Rock...Progressive Rock."Huh? i wasn't really in a position to correct him, so i had to just let the comment pass. i don't really have much to offer with this post, but....wow.On the other hand, has anyone heard this? i got it last year but only listened a few times because of other buys. Right now, it owns me.Wow, sorry thats so big.

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Anyhow, he was telling me about Coheed and Cambria because of some story thing they do from album to album (?) He doesn't like them but finds the whole albums as chapters thing interesting. So then he drops this line on me:

"It's kinda cool. MTV made up a genre to describe them, Prog Rock...Progressive Rock."

why didn't you break it down for the youngster?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Two reasons...

1.) It wasn't quite the right environment to do so.

2.) i was gonna catch up with him about it when i go to work tomorrow, but i decided to let him eventually come to that conclusion on his own. Anymore i am really enjyoing looking back at things i have been wrong and naive about in the past and i think its making me become a better 25+ dude.

Maybe thats drastic for such a simple thing as Prog, but i'd rather sit back and let him discover for himself rather than get schooled on it and move on.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I was hoping this thread was about one of my favorite movies.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Two reasons...

1.) It wasn't quite the right environment to do so.

2.) i was gonna catch up with him about it when i go to work tomorrow, but i decided to let him eventually come to that conclusion on his own. Anymore i am really enjyoing looking back at things i have been wrong and naive about in the past and i think its making me become a better 25+ dude.

Maybe thats drastic for such a simple thing as Prog, but i'd rather sit back and let him discover for himself rather than get schooled on it and move on.

yeah, i guess that is sometimes the best way to learn things. i teach for a living, so it's my first instinct to try to break things down for somebody. i should probably stick with math though...