grizzlies, black bears...and even polar bears

dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
edited July 2006 in Announcements
does anybody still discuss down here? congregate?i know damage get's reincarnated tri-annually, but really. what's good. post something in your universe you're finding fascinating. here's something I think I saw posted here? anyhow this came up recently and it was on me mind.

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    does anybody still discuss down here?

Soulstrut tie-in: Do you remember the "eephy" thread from two years ago? The thirteen year old kid named Butter Boy who mastered "eephing" that we discussed on this very site?

Two weeks ago I saw an exhibition of the man who unearthed he who eephed: Alan Lomax.
    http://www.brooklynfireproof.com/exhibitions

Spent the last week reading Lomax's "An Appeal for Cultural Equity." It's thirty four years old, and while every cocksnot on this earth has a myspace blog, I find it inexcusable that no one has offered this stunning text in zero-and-one reproduction. I'll type the few words that I can:

One can already sense the oppressive dullness and psychic distress of those areas where centralized music industries, exploiting the star system and controlling the communication system, put the local musicians out of work and silence folk song, tribal ritual, local popular festivities and regional culture. It is ironic to note that during this century, when folklorists and musicologists were studying the varied traditions of the peoples of the earth, their rate of disappearance accelerated.

This worries us all, but we have grown so accustomed to the dismal view of dead or dying cultures on the human landscape that we have learned to dismiss this pollution on the human enviornment as inevitable, and even sensible, since it is wrongly assumed that the weak and unfit among musics and cultures are eliminated in this way.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Penguins are born with a gland which is close to their beaks, when they drink the saltwater from the sea the water goes through the gland and the salt gets kept in that gland. When the gland is full of salt the penguin goes onto a rock and knocks his beak against it and all the salt empties out and the penguin can start drinking again.