one more Top 5 (movie endings)...

paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Top 5 Movie Endings(no particular order)- Edward G. Robinson's death scene ("Soylent Green").- Salvatore sitting in a screening room watching Alfredo's posthumous "gift" to him unspool on the screen ("Cinema Paradiso").- Walter Matthau's "Gesundheit!" to Martin Balsam's sneeze ("The Taking of Pelham One Two Three").- Taylor's destiny discovered on the beach (OG "Planet of the Apes" '68).- The feeling I got in the theater realizing that I'd have to wait a few years before knowing what Han's fate was gave me chills ("Empire Strikes Back").-although the eventual payoff in the first 10-15 minutes of "Return of the Jedi" ranks among my top 5 most anti-climatic moments in film.

Comments

• 1) don't ever bad mouth the original Star Wars.

2) "Seven" ... not b/c you found out that the final sin was "wrath," but because of the way Brad Pitt said "whats in the booooox? I wanna know whats in the boooox"...
    pure hilarity

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'd be willing to put The Usual Suspects on my list.

And I love me some Ferris Bueller's Day Off ending...

I'd really have to think of this tho to come up with a serious 5 list.

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    "Seven" ... not b/c you found out that the final sin was "wrath," but because of the way Brad Pitt said "whats in the booooox? I wanna know whats in the boooox"...
    pure hilarity

I watched this the other day and thought that Brad Pitt at the end was some of the worst acting I had ever seen! Nooo, nooo. You're right, pretty funny though.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    - Jacob's Ladder

- Scarface

- Escape From New York

- Alien II

- Rambo III ()

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Worst movie with the best ending....Staying Alive !

Travolta kills the ending. Too bad the rest of the movie is doo doo

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Staying Alive? you mean Saturday Night Fever?

Such a funny movie that is so suggestive, The only way you know they're all doing coke and shit is just the way John's behaviour changes at night time, goes from being the nicest guy in the world to a complete arsehole.

What about "Gone w/ The Wind" - "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damnn"

Shit, mind blank right now.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Staying Alive? you mean Saturday Night Fever?

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    OH no shit!

embarrased to say I haven't seen it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

embarrased to say I haven't seen it.

DON'T BE!!

The other DVD box jpegs were seriously NSFW
    in really the worst way imaginable.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    - Jacob's Ladder

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Oh, snap!
    What happened at the end again??
    Wasn't there some kind of cameo by Sly or some shit like that?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Yes, that "Cinema Paradiso" one is great. I guess they released a longer version of the film a few years back -- I wonder if thge extyra footage was worth the bother?

Some other memorable endings:

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
    "The Sixth Sense"
    "Time Bandits"
    "Rocky"

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Yes, that "Cinema Paradiso" one is great. I guess they released a longer version of the film a few years back -- I wonder if thge extyra footage was worth the bother?

Definitely NOT worth the bother in my opinion.
    Cinema Paradiso is on my top 10 favorite films of all time and for years I wondered about footage left on the cutting room floor (the existence of which is obvious once you see a quick shot of Salvatore's teenage lover aged 50-something during the end credits).
    I picked up a region 3 disc of the longer version (by about 45 minutes or so) a few years back (it's since been released in the states) and was very much let down.
    SPOILER...
    During his trip back to his hometown to bury Alfredo, he manages to track down Elena.
    She's now married (to one of his old schoolmates) but he still taps that in the backseat of his car.
    Not very romantic and very forced from a writer's point of view.
    The whole thing seemed completely unnecessary and holds true the adage "less is more".
    They were correct in leaving out this (and a few other) scene(s) the first time 'round.
    I'd rather forget I ever saw it.

Co-sizzle on Butch and Sundance.
    Great freeze frame ending with Bacharach's melancholy contribution which cannot be overlooked/fucked-with.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-wPuUx1Akw

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    - Tarantula (kind of trash, but Clint Eastwood killing the giant spider with napalm bombs: )
    - King Kong (original from 33, not the crappy remake; classic!)
    - Scarface (OG is better, but the ending of the 1983 version is )
    - Metropolis
    - Space is the place

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Midnight Cowboy - Just pure heartbreak (especially after the dream sequence)

Chinatown - So brutal it hurts

After Hours - Dropped off at the front door in time for work. Genius.

Sonatine - Haunting

Vertigo - Nuff said

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    1. shawshank redemption
    2. my sassy girl

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    I think the ending in "being there" is maybe my favourite ending, a feelgood ending to a perfect movie..

/L

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Dr. Strangelove.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Oh, snap!
    What happened at the end again??
    Wasn't there some kind of cameo by Sly or some shit like that?

at the end of the movie he blows off the woman he wanted the whole movie. All he feels like doing is "strutting" and he struts down the street all badass while saturday night fever is playing. pretty funny.....

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts

Really not trying to diss at all but i didn't like this all that much, a good idea but done in that kinda lame Nicholas-Cagey way but still a good movie of course..

Also speaking of movies i had lunch with the receptionist here at my work yesterday and we talked movies, she's really nice and didn't take offense or anything but she talked about Gladiator and Braveheart as 2 of her favourite movies, i said throw in Matrix and you have my top 3 most hated movies of all time, hahaha..

/L

Are you sure thats not the best beginning??

NO DOUBT!

SOLID!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Wicker Man
    Beau Travail
    The Passenger
    Dazed and Confused
    Zabriskie Point

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i don't have 5 off the top of my head, but one very memorable one is

lock, stock, and two smoking barrels

• The Wicker Man

SPOILER ALERT:

I would say this ending spoiled an otherwise interesting movie. What with the and death and and all, this shit was kind of unwatchable to me. maybe i'm a pussy, it's just people being burned alive is never a good thing to these eyes. See also: Recent remake of hills have eyes and the insanely graphic burning in Silent Hill.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    it is one of the best plot twists ever imo. you know something is up on the island, but who saw that coming???
    i lent it to a co-worker and her husband was livid at the ending.

i would like to see the remake of Hills/Eyes.

oh how could i forget, Innocence, too.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I was completely disappointed with Wicker Man. Heard about it for years and while watching kept expecting something incredible to happen. Pretty much a letdown for me. I watched the extras and was surprised by how much the actors praised it and loved working on it. It just wasn't that great.