Quality rap comebacks

deejdeej 5,125 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Inspired by arguing with Faux Rillz about how dope Brand Nubian's Foundation is.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Dre's 2001.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Dre's 2001.
    I don't know why but that reply made me LOL!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Dre's 2001.
    I don't know why but that reply made me LOL!

timing, i'd guess.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Do you mean in the last 6 years or 3 years or the whole history.

Bumpy Knuckles
    Brand Nubian
    Masta Ace
    The Coup

How long is the hiatus suppossed to be to called a comeback?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    For Trina to have been a comeback it would have required she actually have disappeared, dude.
    Never mind that I recanted on my initial endorsement (there are still some good tracks on that shit, and her first two albums are great)

But faux rillz, keep telling me about how wack foundation was, i'm interested.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Do you mean in the last 6 years or 3 years or the whole history.

Bumpy Knuckles
    Brand Nubian
    Masta Ace
    The Coup

How long is the hiatus suppossed to be to called a comeback?

Yo..was "BUMPY KNUCKS BABY!" ever really popular? I'm not too sure about the Nubians either (comeback wise).

but yo..yo forgot every Pitchfork dudes favourite rappeur

I google'd dude and he was on the cover of motherfucking WIRED???!?!?!? That's really some major shit. Is he bigger now than his KMD days?

For Trina to have been a comeback it would have required she actually have disappeared, dude.

So you're saying that you do not regard that album as anomalous within her catalog? In other words, that you think all of her albums are good?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

So you're saying that you do not regard that album as anomalous within her catalog? In other words, that you think all of her albums are good?
    Huh? What does that have to do with something being a comeback? Her first two albums were good, her last one was boring. It had some defensible tracks. Diamond Princess came out in '02, her last one came out in '05. That hardly constitutes a 'comeback' period of time, nor did DP constitute a falloff that she would have to come back from.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    kris kross disses are even weaker, being into the monkees when you were a kid is 10x less defensible, old dudes.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    kris kross disses are even weaker, being into the monkees when you were a kid is 10x less defensible, old dudes.

Fuck no...the Monkees had plenty of good songs that still stand up, a b-boy classic included, and their tv show wasn't too shabby either.

Try again.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Do the chicken noodle soup or fall back young blood!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Fuck no...the Monkees had plenty of good songs that still stand up, a b-boy classic included, and their tv show wasn't too shabby either.

Try again.

Oh please. hippie

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    the AZ album with "welcome back"

Try again.

Oh please. hippie

You simply know not what you speak of...especially considering that the Monkees and their fans weren't even close to being hippies.

But Hendrix did open up for the Monkees for a spell there, before pulling out of it due to a mismatched audience.

Huh? What does that have to do with something being a comeback? Her first two albums were good, her last one was boring. It had some defensible tracks. Diamond Princess came out in '02, her last one came out in '05. That hardly constitutes a 'comeback' period of time, nor did DP constitute a falloff that she would have to come back from.

Well, we've moved rather far afield from our initial discusson of comebacks, but I need to make sure I have this straight: Trina's last album was boring, and was, in fact, something of a falloff from her first two, but was nonetheless one of the ten best albums of the year in any genre. Taken together, she must have one of the most impressive three album discographies in all of rap, if that's the lowpoint.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Well, we've moved rather far afield from our initial discusson of comebacks, but I need to make sure I have this straight: Trina's last album was boring, and was, in fact, something of a falloff from her first two, but was nonetheless one of the ten best albums of the year in any genre. Taken together, she must have one of the most impressive three album discographies in all of rap, if that's the lowpoint.

Dude I just told you i think the album is boring and i recanted on my initial endorsement, learn to read and shit.

Dude I just told you i think the album is boring and i recanted on my initial endorsement, learn to read and shit.

You mad?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You Off topic?

Yr arguing with me about an album we both agree about in a thread that has nothing to do with said album.

You Off topic?

Yr arguing with me about an album we both agree about in a thread that has nothing to do with said album.

Dude, it's SoulStrut--you're allowed to occasionally veer off topic. What are you gonna do--make me wear a dunce cap?

And I do not think I ever agreed that that Trina album "had some defensible tracks"

But, if it will help you calm down, here's my nomination:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You Off topic?

Dude, it's SoulStrut--you're allowed to occasionally veer off topic. What are you gonna do--make me wear a dunce cap?

And I do not think I ever agreed that that Trina album "had some defensible tracks"

Scarface went away?

You consider that a come-back album?

I'mma roll with this one:

You Off topic?

Scarface went away?

People actually bought/heard Foundation?

I assumed you meant an artistic rather than a commercial comeback from the fact that you offered Foundation as an example--it's not like that album returned Brand Nubian to any kind of public consciousness.

So, no, Face never went anywhere but I thought there was a definite downward trend in the quality of his albums from Diary to Untouchable to My Homies, the last of which was just plain bad, IMO, despite having a few standout tracks. And Dying Breed marked an artistic resurgance for him, to be followed by the even better Fix.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Yeah I did mean artistic, its just to me that Scarface never really fell off. My Homies might be a slip in quality (i haven't heard it in a few years) but I donno, he's one of those dudes you think of being consistent throughout his career.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    was there a thread about the new Ice Cube?

Yeah I did mean artistic, its just to me that Scarface never really fell off. My Homies might be a slip in quality (i haven't heard it in a few years) but I donno, he's one of those dudes you think of being consistent throughout his career.

How far do you have to fall in order to then have a comeback?

Put it this way: after Homies, I wasn't sure if I'd be buying any more Face albums.

[color:white]Shied, I already know what you're going to say, so save it.[/color]

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'll have to listen again but if there's a problem it would have to be beats, right? I mean, I can't think of his rhymes ever being off point really, at least over the course of an album.

Wasn't my homies put together by prince and not 'face though? Sort of like last year's pimp c record.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

How far do you have to fall in order to then have a comeback?

i would say at least 2 consecutive albums of bad music.

• stillmatic