San Fran/Seattle/Portland/Vancouver Record Spots..

el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Hey,I'm heading to these places on holiday on saturday and basically i have no clue about which record spots to check or where they are and all that...Any help with this would be great, as well as any recommendations you guys have got for fun things to do while i'm out there...Thanks!

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    SAN FRAN: groove merchant. you can easily spend 3g in here easily and possibly the best record store in america(besides bagatelle)
    SEATTLE: jive time(two locations very very good stuff)
    PORTLAND: jump jump music. i've never been but heard great stuff.
    VANCOUVER:?
    peace, stein. . .

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Cheers man, i'll look those up!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Jump Jump is ran by Laserwolf. Send him a PM before you go there. And yes, the shop is dope.
    Crossroads is a good store also. Found some good stuff last time I was in there.

I hate to say it but I'm not a big fan of Jive Time. I wasn't impressed by what was in their bins and on their wall.

Jive Time=

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Jump Jump is ran by Laserwolf. Send him a PM before you go there. And yes, the shop is dope.

Crossroads is a good store also. Found some good stuff last time I was in there.

I hate to say it but I'm not a big fan of Jive Time. I wasn't impressed by what was in their bins and on their wall.

Jive Time=

Maybe you hit Jive Time during a slow spell. They consistantly have the best stuff in town, you are gonna
    pay $$$ but if you are looking for selection and quality, they are the spot in Seattle, hands down.
    Lucky for me Reggae seems to be the genre they know least about,
    I've pulled many a $100+ reggae jawn for under $10. And the place is clean, very clean,
    you gotta respect a shop that keeps itself minty fresh!
    No handwashing needed after this spot.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Maybe you hit Jive Time during a slow spell. They consistantly have the best stuff in town, you are gonna
    pay $$$ but if you are looking for selection and quality, they are the spot in Seattle, hands down.
    Lucky for me Reggae seems to be the genre they know least about,
    I've pulled many a $100+ reggae jawn for under $10. And the place is clean, very clean,
    you gotta respect a shop that keeps itself minty fresh!
    No handwashing needed after this spot.
    Yeah, I probably came through at a bad time. No big deal.
    I don't mind spending money for records.
    Everytime I'm home, I gotta make a trip up to TSL and spend some cash, you know?

Thanks for your help, i'm more keen on the cheaper stuff, i'm very willing to make do with a shitty condition record with sleeve damage if it's cheaper just so long as it's audible...
    I'll be visiting the places mentioned in this thread, and PMing Laserwolf this week, thanks!

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
    Seattle: Hit up Respect Records.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Portland:

The standards are Everyday Music (two locations), Crossroads, 2nd Avenue, and Jackpot. Jump Jump is generally a "by appointment only" shop, so send laserwolf a PM and let him know you're coming.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Is Respect getting any new stock in? I was going there weekly when they first opened, but the last couple of times the soul/jazz bins have seemed completely stagnant. Great, friendly store though, and still good for hiphop and reggae.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Is Respect getting any new stock in? I was going there weekly when they first opened, but the last couple of times the soul/jazz bins have seemed completely stagnant. Great, friendly store though, and still good for hiphop and reggae.

Yeah they get stuff, sometimes it's behind the counter though.
    All three owners: Jathan, Atif and Matt slang shit from their
    personal stashs. You kinda gotta be in the loop.
    Thems fam, topnotch guys.
    Check Respect for sure.
    Seattle wise you can also hit the U-District spots, all
    very hit or miss but if you are there at the right time,
    who knows.
    Also peep Eugene, House of Records, Record Exchange all
    close of the U of O campus, they used to get stuff...
    Anyone on this board from Eugene?
    Holla! Go Ducks!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    NO NO RECORDS IN SEATTLE

GO DOWN TO OREGON

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    NO NO RECORDS IN SEATTLE

GO DOWN TO OREGON

LOL!

Haha, some in this thread... i might ignore this post though:

NO NO RECORDS IN SEATTLE

GO DOWN TO OREGON

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    hello fam... im taking a post-honeymoon (1-year late) and a pre-anniversary road trip with the wife in a couple weeks. were running for a couple weeks from San Francisco to Vancouver. were going to be running up and down the 101 and the 5. so the coasts and the big/small cities along the way are what were going to be checking out.

ive never been north of Eureka, CA so was wondering if yall had any recommended sites or things to do on our trip. weve been researching and writing stuff down but some of yall have done this route and some of yall live in these areas so yall would know better.

we like hiking, site seeing, records, flea markets, antiques and thrifts. beaches and/or parks. she loves the forest and taking pictures. please recommend spots to eat whether their cheap and good or a dress shirt and slacks good (anniversary trip so i gotta do something nice along the way).

ill also bring stuff for trades (as long as yall hit me with stuff youre after) and will be buying along the way so if anyone wants to open up their door and make some $$$/get a bite/drink send me a PM. also if there are any nights that the wife and i should check out that would be good info as well.

leaving on august 10th/11th and back in SF around the 25th/26th.

thanks...

• THERE ARE NO RECORDS IN VANCOUVER!

but if you;re in town check out: beatstreet, otis, and neptoon..

if anyone in vancouver has any recommendations of things to do or things to see or places to eat at PLEASE let me know. same goes for portland.

i really dont know any folks in these places so help is appreciated..

bump...

leaving thursday...

• in vancouver eat at:

bannana leaf

shabusan-all u can eat sushi/korean bbq

stepho's

black tuna

sandbar

sophie's cosmic cafe (breakfast spot) right across the street form the most overarted record shop on the west coast "zulu"

samba (brazillian all u can eat)

lumiere (if u can afford)

visit:
    lynn canyon
    spanish banks
    wreck beach
    stanley park (rent a bike a cruise the sea wall)

avoid:
    capilano suspension bridge