Wild Style Original LP Help!

Jacocr69Jacocr69 8 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I ran into sketchy Wild Style LP priced at $40 and would like to know if it's a reissue. Does the orignal LP have artists on the cover or just the "Wild Style" Logo? Second, cover has no ring wear and plain white sleeve. Inside "Ape 6005 B ST REV" is engraved."Sterling" is also engraved. If this is a reissue I going to rip shit on an NYC/ebay store that NO ONE should check out.

Comments

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Well, the re-issue has no "Sterling" engraving, but has a white sleeve. The re-issue I've got is a quality bootleg. Charlie A was impressed when he saw it.

Peace

h

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You should just get the double-lp reissue anyway.

one of the few cases where I copped the reissue and sold the OG,
    because the RI was such better quality.

• Thanks H...back cover says "sleeve design by david storey" leading me to believe original has a pic sleeve. any other clues?

Thanks H...back cover says "sleeve design by david storey" leading me to believe original has a pic sleeve. any other clues?

It is a pic sleeve, but the inside of the re-issue is on white paper & I suspect the OG is the same. I'd do what dude above suggests & cop the double lp.

• thanks H

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I ran into sketchy Wild Style LP priced at $40 and would like to know if it's a reissue. Does the orignal LP have artists on the cover or just the "Wild Style" Logo? Second, cover has no ring wear and plain white sleeve. Inside "Ape 6005 B ST REV" is engraved."Sterling" is also engraved.

That's the correct runout engraving. OG has no artists on cover and white inner sleeve.

And, dudes, the color of the inner sleeve is not really a helpful diagnostic when you're talking about a record that was released in 1983.

And, dudes, the color of the inner sleeve is not really a helpful diagnostic when you're talking about a record that was released in 1983.

I thought dude meant the color of the cardboard that the pic sleeve was printed on, but I didn't make that clear in my posts.

• I ran into sketchy Wild Style LP priced at $40 and would like to know if it's a reissue. Does the orignal LP have artists on the cover or just the "Wild Style" Logo? Second, cover has no ring wear and plain white sleeve. Inside "Ape 6005 B ST REV" is engraved."Sterling" is also engraved.

That's the correct runout engraving. OG has no artists on cover and white inner sleeve.

Faux - You been a great help! Glad to know it was an original. Bigger picture question for me is how can you tell a original pressing from a reissue? Do the inner engravings prove on the difference?

• I bought a copy of the "WildStyle" OST this weekend at Backspin. It just has the "WildStyle" logo on the front and the back has little snapshots. Looks like it was pressed in 83 and put out by "Jem"???

Anyway...I don't care if it's an OG or whatever. What I'm bummed about is that it doesn't even have the dope "Subway Theme" on it. (The one used on the beginning of "Illmatic"). A couple of cuts use the same melody but it's played on different instruments. Anyone know what this is about? It almost sounds like they re-recorded it for some reason.

I *really* wanted to have that "Subway Theme" on there. Guess I should've got the 2LP reissue.

It did blow my mind how many samples, hooks whatever came from this OST/movie.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Guess I should've got the 2LP reissue.

• Guess I should've got the 2LP reissue.

Yeah too bad I hadn't read this thread prior.

Seriously though, why would "Subway Theme" not be on "The Original Soundtrack"? It's integral to the film.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    yeah the cover has the wildstyle logo on it. the subway theme and the rest of the beats were pressed up on records specifically for the djs in the film. you can find reissue versions of these though. i have 2 different versions with the same beats, the subway joint is on it as well as the beat big daddy kane used...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    im pretty sure i saw some label scans of the wildstyle in a book some time ago... im guessing it came in a plain white 12' sleeve, id really like to check those labels again though, this joint is such a killer, and nobody seems to own the OG, right??

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i have an og of the soundtrack but not the break record.... my og is a little warped but still plays. bought it at a swap meet for $2, 9 years ago.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    there was a remixes record that was out by the mid 90s that was nicer than the og in several ways. i dont have it though.

but it's played on different instruments. Anyone know what this is about? It almost sounds like they re-recorded it for some reason.

are you refering to the orig wildstyle theme from the movie vs the wildstyle theme from the record? cause it does seem like theres two different recordings of that classic piece, ive always been under the impression that the film version used in the opening yard scene with Lee was from some other session due to the different instrumentation.

i have an og of the soundtrack but not the break record.... my og is a little warped but still plays. bought it at a swap meet for $2, 9 years ago.

yeah im talking bout the breaks record

in europe the wildstyle ost was put out on chrysalis germany (not raer), i thought the OG was on US chrysalis?

there was a remixes record that was out by the mid 90s that was nicer than the og in several ways. i dont have it though.

remixes???

do you mean the UK reissue on music of life?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My memory of the original was that it was on Animal.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Below are all the ones I know of personally. It sounds like dude has an original.

Original on Animal/Jem: (front/back)

mid 90's break record:

European re-issue's 1 & 2: (front/back/gatefold)

• Below are all the ones I know of personally. It sounds like dude has an original.

Original on Animal/Jem: (front/back)

mid 90's break record:

European re-issue's 1 & 2: (front/back/gatefold)

Right on man.

Again, did I mention how bummed I am about the lack of "Subway Theme" on the original?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Where is Rob from TSL, someone needs to get onto that guy to come here and post pictures of the acetate he owns (one of the only in existence) of the original "Wild Style Breakbeats".

peace.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Didn't Mr Bongo in the UK reissue the Wildstyle Breaks around the same time that the double LP was put out...I'm sure I have a copy in the racks...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Didn't Mr Bongo in the UK reissue the Wildstyle Breaks around the same time that the double LP was put out...I'm sure I have a copy in the racks...

this one...

There was also a bootleg of the original us pressing in the mid 90's, where they just left all the label (Jem) info out (Jacket made in Canada ) To the best of my knowledge, someone in Bristol related to the Wild Bunch must have a copy of the original acetate as well. I've never seen a German pressing of this. Bought my og copy a few years ago in the Netherlands.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

this one...

Thats the one !

this one...

I've never seen a German pressing of this. Bought my og copy a few years ago in the Netherlands.

the german pressing is of this 80s release (was what i meant), on the blue chrysalis label and turns up constantly here in dk!

also, there is at least one 12inch from this, white cover with the wildstyle artwork in red, presumably wildstyle theme as the a-side...

it would be great if the new wildstyle book http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post835608 had a chapter or at least acouple of pages on the background story, production and recording of the orig ws breaks...

only info i know of is: FRED BRATHWAITE (FAB 5 FREDDY) - MUSICAL DIRECTION CHRIS STEIN - GUITAR AND EFFECTS DAVID HARPER - BASS GUITAR LENNY FERARI - DRUMS

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    im pretty sure i saw some label scans of the wildstyle in a book some time ago... im guessing it came in a plain white 12' sleeve, id really like to check those labels again though, this joint is such a killer, and nobody seems to own the OG, right??

I have the OG. One of the copies that Grand Wizard Theodore spun in the movie.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

I have the OG. One of the copies that Grand Wizard Theodore spun in the movie.

and he just throws that in like it's nothing...

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    also, there is at least one 12inch from this, white cover with the wildstyle artwork in red, presumably wildstyle theme as the a-side...

that was a uk pressing I don't have it in front of me and I can't remember the song listing...