easy james brown question

showandtellshowandtell 97 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
is there a studio version of Sex Machine? which album is it on?-WILL

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    there's a 45.

I dont know his LP discography well enough to know if it there is a studio version on LP...dude has like 50 or 60 LPs on King alone...I see ones all the time I have never seen before.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    there's a 45.

I dont know his LP discography well enough to know if it there is a studio version on LP...

The version on the Sex Machine album is the same as the 45, just with canned crowd noise dubbed in.

(Not to be confused with the later remake on Sex Machine Today.)

If the "Sex Machine" 45 version appears on an album, it's probably on some best-of.

dude has like 50 or 60 LPs on King alone...I see ones all the time I have never seen before.

And then on top of that, there are the ones where King merely changed the covers...likePlease, Please, Please - white couple's legs (1st ed.), JB with process (2nd ed.), JB with Afro (3rd ed. that you never see, but it's advertised in the gatefold of the original Sex Machine album).

• there's a 45.

I dont know his LP discography well enough to know if it there is a studio version on LP...

The version on the Sex Machine album is the same as the 45, just with canned crowd noise dubbed in.

No. The two versions may have been edited from the same take, but they're different. Part 2 of the 45 features James and Bobby Byrd vamping on the phrase "Shake your moneymaker"-- a part that's not included in the "live" version on the Sex Machine LP.

I'm not sure if a full, continuous mix of parts 1 & 2 of the 45 was ever legitimately issued on vinyl in the U.S., but I have an 80s-era foreign twelve that has the full take of the 45 version.

• there's a 45.

No. The two versions may have been edited from the same take, but they're different. Part 2 of the 45 features James and Bobby Byrd vamping on the phrase "Shake your moneymaker"-- a part that's not included in the "live" version on the Sex Machine LP.

I'm not sure if a full, continuous mix of parts 1 & 2 of the 45 was ever legitimately issued on vinyl in the U.S., but I have an 80s-era foreign twelve that has the full take of the 45 version.

thanks to both of you. looks like the double album version is basically the main version.

-WILL