essential psych? knowledge wanted!!!

RonanRonan 86 Posts
edited February 2016 in Record Collecting
best psych lp's/bands???...been collectin rock, funk & soul for last few years. Now i'm lookin for psych knowledge. anyone know any good sites/books to start?

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    even some of the so called psych biggies are pure poop! it's very hard to name essential psych records. it's a very open and diverse field. very tough to give any advice. more difficult than jazz or funk or soul IMO. plus, the genre is not that clear. some people tend to call kraut and rock/pop psych.

i would like to know if there are any good internet sites about psych too. never tried to find one...

• Ignore the above post. It is very easy to name a number of great psych classics. There are many more but i will name 10 classics off the top of my head, none of which are remotely poop.

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
    CA Quintet - Trip Thru Hell
    Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Golden Dawn - Power Plant
    Cold Sun - Dark Shadows
    Morgen s/t
    Azitis - Help
    Love - Forever Changes
    Hunger s/t
    Silver Apples s/t

This web site is extremely dope: www.lysergia.com

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Silver Apples s/t

i really really think that silver apples sucks. what a horrible band. bad bad bad! overrated!

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    even some of the so called psych biggies are pure poop! it's very hard to name essential psych records. it's a very open and diverse field. very tough to give any advice. more difficult than jazz or funk or soul IMO. plus, the genre is not that clear. some people tend to call kraut and rock/pop psych.

i would like to know if there are any good internet sites about psych too. never tried to find one...

thanks man. this is true, i've seen so much bullshit with crazy price tags. i'm kinda lookin to educate myself on the whole movement rather than a few acclaimed lps. left field shit from like 65 to 75 is roughly wot i look out for, but would like to learn about studios, producers, labels etc. that were pushin boundaries back when

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Silver Apples s/t

i really really think that silver apples sucks. what a horrible band. bad bad bad! overrated!

hey now, they are great!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Silver Apples s/t

hey now, they are great!

no! bad music. i can't listen to that record. some psych was caused by bad musicianship.

what do you think is great about silver apples, besides the concept?

• RonanRonan 86 Posts

This web site is extremely dope: www.lysergia.com
    this is exactly what i was lookin for.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Silver Apples s/t

hey now, they are great!

no! bad music. i can't listen to that record. some psych was caused by bad musicianship.

honestly, i like the sound, plus i get some weird feeling from it that i dig. i mean, i always liked it to some extent but it grew on me a lot too.

hows it bad musicianship? its a home-made instrument and drums, and juding by how difficult the simeon or whatever seems to be to play well, id say both are pretty decent at their instrument.

if its the singing that turns you off, i guess THAT i can understand, but even now i dig the singing.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

honestly, i like the sound, plus i get some weird feeling from it that i dig. i mean, i always liked it to some extent but it grew on me a lot too.

hows it bad musicianship? its a home-made instrument and drums, and juding by how difficult the simeon or whatever seems to be to play well, id say both are pretty decent at their instrument.

if its the singing that turns you off, i guess THAT i can understand, but even now i dig the singing.

haha!

the singing does turn me off! and i don't like the sound. the concept is pretty cool, but i really think the record is overrated. there are much better psych records... i wouldn't call silver apples psych anyway. more like electro pop rock...

• Tom Ze
    Dreamies
    White Noise

Lots more...Go to brazil...
    straight lysergic psych

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

The drummer's hair!

No, serioulsy. Danny Taylor's drums are

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Silver Apples s/t

Co-Sign. If you like "Psych", odds are you won't like this

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    even some of the so called psych biggies are pure poop! it's very hard to name essential psych records. it's a very open and diverse field.

Agree!!

Ignore the above post. It is very easy to name a number of great psych classics.

Disagree!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'll recommend this album 'til I'm blue in the face:

Definitely one of my fav psych albums.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The thing is that "psych" is an extremely broad term. And, unlike "funk" where there is the common denominator of "funkiness", there is no one sound psych conforms to. So you end up with a lot of people hatting on really good records because it's not their sound. You also have a lot of people labeling things psych when it's really just unconventional pop or rock. For example, on Waxidermy stuff is alwyas getting dumped in the psych catagory when people don't know what else to label it. Figure out what sound you like and learn how to articulate it before you say something like "the Silver Apples suck" - because they definitely do not.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It is a very diverse field, and if you're coming from the angle that most strutters into psych probably are, wanting that funk element in there, you're listening to psych with a different set of ears than the "real psych heads". And they have a lot to say about what albums are considered classics and which ones are worth loot.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

The drummer's hair!

• There are some records that are classics that you can easily find.

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow, After Bathing at Baxter's
    Moby Grape - s/t
    United States of America - s/t (can be had for less than $30 and is GREAT)
    get some Byrds albums....not all psych but essential nonetheless
    Quicksilver Messenger Service -- s/t and Happy Trails

find a used copy of the Nuggets box

listen to any Pink Floyd album up to Meddle

You need those aforementioned 13th Floor Elevators albums too.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There are some records that are classics that you can easily find.

Moby Grape - s/t

This is an excellent start.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    There are some records that are classics that you can easily find.

Moby Grape - s/t

Moby Grape - Wow

• This web site is extremely dope: www.lysergia.com
    this is exactly what i was lookin for.

Be sure to check out the "Fave Raves" link. One of those lists is from a poster here.

Yeah, that site is rad. Between that and if you can track down a copy of "Fuzz, Acid & Flowers Revisited" by Vernon Joynson you'll have all the resources you need.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    and learn how to articulate it before you say something like "the Silver Apples suck" - because they definitely do not.

well, you're right. but i was really disappointed with the silver apples lp. i prefer more straight attempts by bigger bands. silver apples just isn't my kinda thing (i think there are way better records and better musicians in other psych bands). still no need for me to hate... sorry.

some european psych is nice. many european musicians who came from jazz or rock recorded psych in the 60s and 70s. skillful musicians playing wild, progressive music.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    I would most certainly add Gandalf to the list.

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    no filler here:

• Morgen s/t

Man this record is good. Definitely near the top of stuff I've heard in my travels. Wish I could find a copy of some sort on the relatively cheap.

From the Acid Archives:

"We've been referring to this LP a lot here in the Archives and it is a definite yardstick for the late 60s guitar psych style. Despite its major label origins the sound is remarkably raw and garagey, with no compromises anywhere. Some rate it as the best major label LP all over and it sure blows a lot of mega-rarities away, as well as ALL the LA heavy psych competition from the same era, with an intense and genuinely psychedelic mood. Punky vocals, great and highly original material (especially on side 1), acid guitars that won't quit - I can't see anyone into psych not digging this. Incidentallly, none of the reissues are from mastertapes. [PL]"

I've really been digging on Bohemian Vendetta this week. Their album is SOLID.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    no filler here:

Info plaese

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There are so many different definitions of "psych music" these days that I think the best route is to try a few different comps to try to determine what definition is your cup of tea.

One school is "Garage Psych" that is typically American and is represented by bands like The Chocolate Watchband, Electric Prunes, Elevators, etc. Evolved directly from "Garage Punk" these bands smoked some dope, dropped some acid and took the early Rolling Stones/Beatles sounds to the next level.

Then there's West Coast Psych and because of it's popularity at the time, this is considered more "mainstream" with bands like Jefferson Airplane, Byrds, Doors, CJ & Fish and even Janis & Jimi.

60's Avant Garde or Freak Out psych includes bands like The Godz, Cro-Magnon, Silver Apples, 50 Foot Hose, etc. Probably all more popular today than back in the day.

Pop Psych or "Sunshine Pop" is another genre that has gotten a lot of attention with LP's like JK & Co., Millenium, etc.

Folk Psych is a whole nother bag and while there are a lot of LP's defined as such, most aren't. Linda Perhacs is the epitome of female folk psych and Perry Leopold the male counterpart.

Bands like Ash Ra Tempel, Brainticket, etc. cover the "space psych" or prog/psych genres and is mostly a Euro style.

Then there is Hard Rock/Psych, Rural Psych, Modern psych, and about 10 other sub-categories. People like Zappa and Captain Beefhart fit in there somewhere too.

All I'm saying is 1) Don't be turned off to Psych in general if you hear one of these genres and it's not your thang....and....2) Find out what style is your fave and then you can dig deeper into that genre as I've really only mentioned major label artists above and the MAJORITY of psych, as documented at the Lysergia website is private press underground fare.

Rich

• Great post Rock.

You guys know the kinda stuff I've been asking about this year. When people ask me what I'm into, I don't usually answer "psych" but instead "American rock from 66-75" cos little of what is labelled psych (by myself included) actually includes long sustained passages of "psychedelia".

Oh, and you all should have this on some format if you're into ANY of this....

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    no filler here:

Info plaese

first... i'm not a psych collector/connaisseur or whatsoever but anyway this one came to my attention:

"Edzayawa - Projection One" on the purple/red EMI 005 Nigeria label! originally Ghanian musicians recorded this afropsych/funk/beat album in 1973, in lagos at the same time when BLO released their legendary "Chapter One" (EMI 001) album...
    i prefer Edzayawa by miles but that's just me!

additional stuff:
    a guy (into psych) i know, mentioned that this is one of the very few real psych albums out of nigeria (west africa?),
    as it has this awesome echo effects & stuff for example! well, those others classic african records (ofege, apostles... ) which are mostly classified as "psych", aren't really psych per se...
    but that's what he says, i know nothing ! i'm just a music junkie...

all i can say is that musically this album is one of the best, deepest & most unique i have... amen ;-) rarity.. i dunno?
    i'd say it's just as rare as BLO but lesser known and therefore not in the four figured league (yet)! but i don't really care about its value...

maybe someone else on the board has more info...