I DID IT MYYYYYYYYYYY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

Fly me to the moon (live with basie)

Summer Wind

One for baby, another for the road

I get a kick out of you

Nice and Easy

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    well, damn... all the white people on this cotdamn site and this is all the response I get for a top 5 of ol' blue eyes?????????????? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think you mean "white boys" don't you?

• I DID IT MYYYYYYYYYYY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    well, damn... all the white people on this cotdamn site and this is all the response I get for a top 5 of ol' blue eyes?????????????? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

rofl

• montymonty 420 Posts
    Come Rain Or Come Shine i remember being on a jukebox 45 around 1960 that i would swear was a Billy May arrangement that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, but looking it up now, i don't think it's the Don Costa arrangement on Reprise...

• HamHam 872 Posts
    the world we knew
    rain in my heart

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

in no particular order:

come rain or come shine
    it was a very good year
    one for my baby
    three coins in the fountain
    all or nothing at all

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Bim Bam Baby
    Coffee Song
    I Get a Kick
    In the Wee Small Hours
    Me and My Shadow (w/Sammy Davis Jr.)

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    under my skin

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Your Nobody 'Till Somebody Loves You

Aw man, Sammy was like little black sambo to those ratpack muthafuckas. ALWAYS talkin' schitt to him onstage as part of their act, like Dean Martin saying "hey sunshine, it's dark up here... smile so I can know where you're at" and schitt like that. I know those dudes loved Sammy and I guess that's just the way things were back then, but STILL at all. Thank god for the 60's and 70's, where Sammy and other hair-straightening-ass negros like James Brown could just let their schitt nap the fuck up and tell the man to kiss their black muthafuckin' asses.

• I like "I'll Never Smile Again", from the Tommy Dorsey years. Great tune.

I like "I'll Never Smile Again", from the Tommy Dorsey years. Great tune.

More of the Story

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    it was a very good year

it was a very good year

it was a very good year

it was a very good year

it was a very good year

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Top 5 Dorsey-Sinatra tunes:
    5.Fools Rush In
    4.East of the Sun
    3.I'll Never Smile Again
    2.Stardust
    1.Polka Dots and Moonbeams

All right.........

I dont own any Sinatra. Which Lp is a good starting point?

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Those Reprise greatest hits have a lot of the songs mentioned here (It Was A Very Good Year, The Summer Wind, Strangers In The Night, New York, My Way, etc.) and are cheap and easy to find. Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely is the classic depressing, songs of heartbreak, Sinatra album. The Capitol Years 3 cd box set is really strong. Also check for the Sinatra-Dorsey early 1940's stuff.

Those Reprise greatest hits have a lot of the songs mentioned here (It Was A Very Good Year, The Summer Wind, Strangers In The Night, New York, My Way, etc.) and are cheap and easy to find. Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely is the classic depressing, songs of heartbreak, Sinatra album. The Capitol Years 3 cd box set is really strong. Also check for the Sinatra-Dorsey early 1940's stuff.

Holla

Greatest Hits is not an option. Only 4 The Lonely sounds good.

Holla

Why is Greatest Hits not an option?

I guess im being uptight. I'm figuring that Sinatra had to have an album that defines his sound. Hits along w/ overlooked Bsides. That 's just what i'd prefer. I could go the easier route and just get some deluxe 4 cd set w/ stories and pictures then cop the wax according to the era i find most attractive.

I guess im being uptight. I'm figuring that Sinatra had to have an album that defines his sound. Hits along w/ overlooked Bsides. That 's just what i'd prefer. I could go the easier route and just get some deluxe 4 cd set w/ stories and pictures then cop the wax according to the era i find most attractive.

Hits first, hommie. Get very familiar with those, then venture into the more obscure territories. You know the "rules of diggin'".

THIS is probably my favorite Sinatra disc.
    Covers the late 40's-early 50's sound, very swinging and fun.

Otherwise, total cosign on the "saloon" albums, as he called them,
    which are the albums of all sad songs: as mentioned, Only the Lonely,
    and maybe even better is No One Cares...

One other worth mentioning is Frank's only release on Blue Note:

A live set that captures a lot of his charm and features some
    of his best known material, the Cole Porter stuff, etc, with a
    jazz combo backing him instead of a full orchestra like on the
    albums. Definitely worth checking out.

Hits first, hommie. Get very familiar with those, then venture into the more obscure territories. You know the "rules of diggin'".

Nah.

The hits are in every yuppie jukebox in nyc. I've overdosed on his classics. Na-mean?

Just like Id tell someone to cop Sly and the Family Stone STAND before i'd say the greatest hits even though the GHs would cover most of tha shit.

Nah.

The hits are in every yuppie jukebox in nyc. I've overdosed on his classics. Na-mean?

Nah.
    Sing all the words to "All The Way" and / or "It Was a Very Good Year" right now or yor soft.

A good greatest hits set is probably gonna have some stuff you're not so familiar with, too. You know the deal, though... if you're really up on all the classics then by all means, go seek out the rarities. But I don't give a dam if we're talking funk music or Frankie Baby, to bypass the well known classics that you really don't know yet to go straight for the obscurities is the epitomy of (not saying that's what you're doing, just saying in general, that's all)

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

Coffee Song

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Aw man, Sammy was like little black sambo to those ratpack muthafuckas. ALWAYS talkin' schitt to him onstage as part of their act, like Dean Martin saying "hey sunshine, it's dark up here... smile so I can know where you're at" and schitt like that. I know those dudes loved Sammy and I guess that's just the way things were back then, but STILL at all. Thank god for the 60's and 70's, where Sammy and other hair-straightening-ass negros like James Brown could just let their schitt nap the fuck up and tell the man to kiss their black muthafuckin' asses.

Or when Sammy says "I converted to Judaism and now I'm torn between being greedy and lazy?" Yeah, a lot of that shit turns my stomach.

I was playing that afro Sammy shit for some haedz recently and they would have none of it. Not because of the mammy factor, but because SDJ was so chummy with Satan. And I'm not broadly speaking of the swine breeding sons of Jacob, but Anton LaVey himself.

So you're dismissing Sammy's Reprise work as Samboism? And it took jumping on the dashiki bandwagon, coupled with requisite versions of Shaft and Spinning Wheel, to liberate him from the clutches of minstrelsy? Whatever.

Sammy's vocal phrasing and musicianship surpassed both Frank's and Dino's.

on this LP The Cole Porter medley is UNFUKWIDABLE. Nothing but love and respect for Sammy.