Question about customs when shipping

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
If shipping a relatively large collection of records to the US... What should you do about declaring their worth? I'm shipping 800 records internationally, and today the guy told me technically, you are supposed to say how much the item cost... Is it best to say you paid a dollar for everything, or less even? Or is that then a problem if your shipment gets fucked up? Should you jack the price up? I really have no idea how internatinal customs to the US works.Another issue, I am using a commercial shipper, but aside from a handful, the records aren't for resale... Does this have any affect on the situation?Sorry, but I'm ignorant in regards to this shit... Can someone help out?Peace...FNM

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    It depends.

For that amount of records, they might think it's dodgy if it was 20cents each...

If they really wanna fuck you, when you get the shipment they can ask for proof or a store receipt or documents to back up the price u paid for it...

I would play it safe and put down like

200 x 100 yen
    100 x 250 yen
    50 x 500 yen
    500 x 20 yen

that's what i do anyway. good luck.

bevan

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As far as taxes/inport duties go, there are none unless the value is very high. Perhaps $5,000. I'm sure the amount can be easily researched.

So you should state a value that is equal to the amount of insurance you want in case of lose.

You should note that they are not for resale.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I've taken a hit for an lp worth $60 in Canada. Customs is a bitch. You're better to insure that shit. Have you ever sent $3000 lp and have it cracked in the mail? It ain't fun when the insurance is only $100 man