What's Good in Your Life Right Now? (NRR)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
It hasn't been the best of times for me, having lost my temp job, a girlfriend of 4 years (due to long distance), and some friends being wack as hell. Not to mention the middle east threads goin' on, although they are necessary.So what made you happy/fulfilled recently?1) Played with the #1 draft pick in the Japanese Basketball Pro League and held my own in a pickup game recently.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Friends that refuse to grow up keeping me young!

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    word, my wife was diagnosed with cancer last monday (not yesterday). lately fucking sucks. what's good, though, is that she's incredible and so are my 3 kids.

i don't know i deserve much other than that but as extra icing on that, i got confirmation for playing hiphopkemp in prague this week. be nice to go back there

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    word, my wife was diagnosed with cancer last monday (not yesterday).

Wow, very sorry to hear that, hope she can recover soon. My problems are insignificant in comparison.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    word, my wife was diagnosed with cancer last monday (not yesterday). lately fucking sucks. what's good, though, is that she's incredible and so are my 3 kids.

That's terrible, I hope she makes as quick a recovery as possible. And all the best to you and the kids, this kind of thing is quite difficult to go through. Make sure you have support so you can properly support your wife. My heart goes out to your wife and family.

yeah man, it kind of knocked us off our feet but they say it's very early stages and hopefully will be sorted out permanently within the next 6months of chemo/surgery

really scary shit man, made making beats seem so unimportant all of a sudden

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Wow--stay strong and try to maintain that perspective.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

word. stay strong.

word, thanks man. just wish there was more i could do to directly help her. shit, if i could switch it from her to me i'd do it in a heartbeat

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

i don't know i deserve much other than that but as extra icing on that, i got confirmation for playing hiphopkemp in prague this week. be nice to go back there

My mother in law was diagnosed with having cancer a few months back. I know it's rough, man, but hang in there. My thoughts are going out to you and your entire family.

As for me, well you know, my career could be worse. It could be better. I always seem to focus on the "could be better" and it makes me get real fucked up inside. Like I suffer from depression, and lately with my birthday it's been kicking my ass. Plus a good friend from long ago suddenly died recently. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels going nowhere in life. I feel like a complete waste and an utter failure. I haven't amounted to anything. Also, I'm completely broke, and I mean paying for coffee with change broke. And guess what?!? I have no more change left! I basically feel like I'm in a deep dark hole right now.

But I have a great wife who is wonderful and gives me everything I would ever need from a companion. The majority of my family and my close friends are pretty awesome as well.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    word, thanks man. just wish there was more i could do to directly help her. shit, if i could switch it from her to me i'd do it in a heartbeat

That's man and husband of character speak right there... you can't switch, but you can pass along all the support and positivity you have in you over to her to assist in a speedy recovery. Strength of two is stronger than one. I hope all goes well for you and your family.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    ehh... my life sucks right now, even my health. I think I have an ear infection, its brutal, I can't wait to get it checked out tomorrow. trying to keep my head up and tell myself things can only get better from here... still, should probably get back on the anti-depressants soon.

on the bright side, I just sold a rackord for over 200 bones and SS came through on the Black Merda tip in the wants section. so there's that...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    But I have a great wife who is wonderful and gives me everything I would ever need from a companion. The majority of my family and my close friends are pretty awesome as well.

The ONLY thing that really matters in life my friend, at the end of the day we are only so much as the friends we've made and the good things we've done for others. Compassion and LOVE. Humans weren't built to be satisfied by things like careers/money/things, the sooner you let go the better. I'm sure those close to you don't think you're a failure.

The happiest times of my life have come without reason.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

The ONLY thing that really matters in life my friend, at the end of the day we are only so much as the friends we've made and the good things we've done for others. Compassion and LOVE. Humans weren't built to be satisfied by things like careers/money/things, the sooner you let go the better. I'm sure those close to you don't think you're a failure.

The happiest times of my life have come without reason.

cosign

The past 4 months of my life have been the hardest ever and at the end of the day it's all about your family, friends and loved ones.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    I'm on the road for an extended period. I've seen some pretty lame cities and was expecting this one to be kinda, as well.

Oxford, MS ain't so bad.

What is REALLY good, though. The best catfish in the state is 5 miles down the road, Ole Miss women are fine as hell, drinks are cheap as dirt, and I've seen some pretty incredible live music. One night was a soul band with a full horn section doing all sorts of classics, including Isaac Hayes covers. Another was a real down home bluegrass band. There are great bookstores, Faulkner's grave, and lots of sunshine.

here's the catfish spot.

field and stream review.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

This looks and sounds like heaven.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i thought i was, yet again, going to get played by the state of CO (technically my employers' employer) and given a 2% raise again when I was promised 4.5% and then surprisingly they lifted the floor of my position's pay scale to far more than I was making resulting in a 12% raise. that's hot shit. first check hits july 31st at the new rate. My salary has increased nearly (if not more than) 30% within the last year. That's about the best shit I can think of. Nothing else is siginificantly better or worse than normal for me but i'm working on that (for the better, hopefully).

My mother in law was diagnosed with having cancer a few months back. I know it's rough, man, but hang in there. My thoughts are going out to you and your entire family.

thanks man, you and yours too. seems like i know too many people affected by cancer as well. the other positive i can't fail but see in it is that it's ovarian cancer but we have 3 amazing children already - it's horrible it's happening at all but if it'd come a few years sooner we might not have had children at all

my financial situation is looking grim in light of the fact that i'm the only earner in the house and it's not easy holding down a 9-5 whilst looking after a wife undergoing chemo and 3 kids

my perspective on all that is crystal though - my glass might be a disposable plastic cup but it's half full from where i'm standing

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

word. stay strong.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Starting up my own company now. I'm actually breaking down my expenses and seeing when I will be able to quit my job. It's pretty exhausting and fun at the same time. I'm hoping to make enough money so I can revive a company I started years ago but didn't have enough funds to develop.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Starting up my own company now. I'm actually breaking down my expenses and seeing when I will be able to quit my job. It's pretty exhausting and fun at the same time. I'm hoping to make enough money so I can revive a company I started years ago but didn't have enough funds to develop.

Oh yeah? That's cool man. Good luck. You know you can always come to me for advice on what NOT to do when starting your own company

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

thanks man, you and yours too. seems like i know too many people affected by cancer as well. the other positive i can't fail but see in it is that it's ovarian cancer but we have 3 amazing children already - it's horrible it's happening at all but if it'd come a few years sooner we might not have had children at all

my financial situation is looking grim in light of the fact that i'm the only earner in the house and it's not easy holding down a 9-5 whilst looking after a wife undergoing chemo and 3 kids

my perspective on all that is crystal though - my glass might be a disposable plastic cup but it's half full from where i'm standing

My man, I think the fact that you're staying strong and positive says a lot about you and the quality of people that your wife and children are. Keep your chin-up.

Soulstrut has got your back.

I'm really not trying to make this a argumentative thread, but posting about "great things" in this thread is really in bad taste. Maybe it's just me.

thanks man, i appreciate that

i didn't want to kill the post though - people need to post that good shit. bottom line is, i'd rather be in this position with an incredible wife and family, than not be but never having had my family at all, if you get what i mean.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Oh yeah? That's cool man. Good luck. You know you can always come to me for advice on what NOT to do when starting your own company

I actually have WAYYYY too much experience on how NOT to run a company. I've had two companies eat it. The first went belly up because of greed, egos and the internet bust. Learned a HELL of a lot from that. Second one (mentioned above) failed for a number of reasons but funding was the main reason. I just bit off more than I could chew.

Now I'm doing it right. Saving up money. Writing up a solid business plan and giving myself a deadline to quit my job. Good times.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts

My man, I think the fact that you're staying strong and positive says a lot about you and the quality of people that your wife and children are. Keep your chin-up.

Soulstrut has got your back.

I'm really not trying to make this a argumentative thread, but posting about "great things" in this thread is really in bad taste. Maybe it's just me.

Word, Take it real easy. stay strong. But this thread was about "good things" and usually it takes "bad things" to make us realise they're good...(how profound!)

Me, I've been with the same girl for over 10 months now which is an incredibly long time for myself, I've set up a little office / studio to make music in here in Perth and I'm happy for the first time in a long time, All i gotta do now is sabotage it all!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    moved in with future wife + apartment six blocks from store + rent control + quit smoking cigs + jogging again = happy

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    not much.

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    I'm about to be a dad (next month).Besides that,a couple of my homies are real sick (one has cancer,the other is undergoing tests to determine what's wrong).Sounds cliche,but when you're a young buck,you never even think about losing your friends (or anyone,for that matter).As I get older and people disappear,the world seems to get wacker,so I make sure to not front on my real friends and family....the party continues!

F*CK CANCER!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    keep your head up and best wishes to your family

what's good

1. job
    2. job
    3. job
    4. ladyfriend
    5. selling recs
    6. freelance (word to Virginia :-) )

jeah!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts